Pros and cons of the Gibson SG... educate me please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaulreedsmith, Jul 5, 2019.

1. nowhere

nowhere Member

I have an approximately decade old '61 RI and an "SG 60's Jr." - the single P-90, wraparound bridge model they made a few years back that has modern body and neck construction combined with sorta-6o's looks. I love them both. One big difference functionally is that the neck on the '61 RI has the rigidity of well boiled spaghetti. Not to mean I'm worried about the neck breaking, just that it really is bendy. So much so that you don't need a Bigsby to get vibrato action, just bend the neck! When I tense up the guitar goes sharp. The Jr. neck isn't really much thicker than the '61 RI but is far more rigid. Try a few SG's before deciding. I'm fine with the thin, bendy neck but you may not be.

jcs likes this.
  2. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

CONS
    • Neck setting relative to the body makes it feel like you have to reach out a little further.
    • Can be neck heavy when standing.
    • Pickups are closer to the bridge resulting in the neck pickup not having the usual sweetness.
    • Top jack
    PROS
    • Upper fret access
    • Tone similar to an LP but more cut, and angrier mids.
    • Light weight
    • Typically cheaper (than an LP)

3. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

We'll have to disagree on the whole bridge P90 thing. Mine sounds anything but thin. Raw and mid forward, yes, but through any amount of drive or fuzz it punches and rips like a mofo.

jcs and SgtThump like this.
  4. TP Parter

TP Parter Member

We'll have to disagree on the whole bridge P90 thing. Mine sounds anything but thin. Raw and mid forward, yes, but through any amount of drive or fuzz it punches and rips like a mofo.

nowhere likes this.
  5. DiPa

DiPa Constant GAS Silver Supporting Member

Yup, I have 2 custom shop, wish I had 3.
    The tone, upper fret access, light weight, and feel are all on top...

HERSCHEL and TP Parter like this.
  6. FlamesAreWicked

FlamesAreWicked Supporting Member

I’ve had them off and on for a number of years.. I currently have a 2019 Standard 61... great guitar.. I wind up selling them but I always come back.. it’ll never replace a good LP but they’re great for a little different feel than the LP shape.

It may not be the first guitar I grab every time but I’m glad it’s there when I do grab it..

Oh and playing at least one Angus riff is required each time ya play one lol.... it’s law

7. Joshua Bernstein

Joshua Bernstein Supporting Member

Pros:
    • Very light weight
    • Excellent upper fret access
    • Contours are excellent
    • Sound killer, very versatile
    Cons:
    • Potential for neck dives

Nebakanezer likes this.
  8. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

I had a recent SG special and found the same "bendy neck issue". Once I discovered that I could do a slight pitch bend by choking the neck while bracing the body with my forearm, I found that I subconsciously did it wayyyy too much. Traded the SG for a Firebird.

goodertone likes this.
  9. guff

guff Member

Pros: Accessibility, aesthetic, p90 beast
    Cons: Neck heavy, eternally flat g, fragility*

edit: the fragility is mostly the headstock angle+neck dive combination that makes me nervous, the guitars wont fall apart in your hands

10. Switters

Switters Member

Pros: they are awesome.
    -very comfortable
    -all access neck
    -relatively cheap and easy to find
    -look great

Cons: they aren’t free.

Fuzzr and HERSCHEL like this.
  11. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

Pros: Can sound bright and snappy. Not expensive.

Cons: Not the best ergonomics

12. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

90% of my SG playing is clean!

Yeah, they aren’t the best guitar for cleans, but they aren’t that bad with the right pickups and enough reverb.

jcs, TP Parter and fishlog like this.
  13. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

I know, I think it's just my guitar or I haven't found the right bridge P90 yet. I have one in the neck position which sounds great. I just find the bridge position difficult, seems like it needs a fairly hot and thick humbucker to even match the neck P90. It's the same after I've adjusted pickup heights.

14. CRAIG4FSU

CRAIG4FSU Whatever... Silver Supporting Member

Love my SG's.

The only con I can think of the is that they go flat and sharp rather easy if you lean forward or back. That's inherent to thin body design.

My SG w/'57 classics is still one of my favorite guitars though.

15. BobK

BobK Member

Pro: some guys can make them sound great.
    Con: I'm not one of them.

purplelp, uab9253, adjeff2706 and 4 others like this.
  16. Highway Man

Highway Man Member

Pros - they’re the closest solid body alternative to a 335.
    Cons - None that I can see.

I would love to own one.

17. phoghat

phoghat Member

Pros: Badfinger used 'em.
    Cons: None.

18. DCross

DCross Supporting Member

I only owned one and didn't keep it very long. Based on the smallest sample greater than zero:
    Pros: Lightweight
    Cheaper than LP
    Great tone for Rock n Roll
    Reminds me of one of the coolest Marvel superheroes ever.
    Cons: Neck dive
    Required constant tuning (with other guitars I've never had this issue - very frustrating).

I'm wondering if the thinner neck ones have worse tuning stability while the thicker necks have more neck dive ?!? Maybe I just needed a good setup?? :dunno

19. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

SG's have some of the best features on an electric guitar and also some of the worst.

Pros. Upper fret access is as good as it gets. Classic look, contoured body that feels comfortable to most players, Similar sounding to a LP ( some sound darker than a Maple top LP and the neck pickup is usually less bloated on a SG vs. LP), If you wear the strap high, the guitar is in a perfect playing position, an SG standard is a bargain compared to a LP standard. They are usually light in weight, which my shoulder appreciates.

Cons. the early 60's style neck joint sucks. I would never buy one with that joint again. Its super easy to bend stuff out of tune and the guitar warbles with even slight movement. Or at least mine did. The later type neck joint is really solid though. The batwing pickguard puts the pickups on a different plane than the neck, so the pickups are always at a strange angle from the strings. This is mainly a problem if your are OCD. Neck dive is a thing, be prepared to not take your forearm off of the body. If you are the type of player that takes all of your hands off of your guitar alot then the SG may not be for you. They also lean try to flip towards the floor if you take your arm off of them while they are on a strap.

I love my 06 SG Standard. It was my main gigging guitar for a long time and its probably the guitar I felt most comfortable on playing live, due to the way it hangs. I have a LP standard and an LP classic but I always chose the SG for live use when I wanted to play a humbucker guitar. If you decide to give on a try, I say get one with the 50's neck shape and the deeper neck joint.

Thumpalumpacus, Baxtercat and fos1 like this.
  20. pedalparty

pedalparty Member

This was my experience exactly with my 2013 SG standard that was basically a 61 RI. As much as I wanted to love the guitar, I sold it for solely that reason.