Pros and cons of the Gibson SG... educate me please

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lespaulreedsmith, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Brett's Les Paul

Brett's Les Paul Member

I love mine All pros, no cons.

2. bigfoamfinger

bigfoamfinger Supporting Member

I just got into SG's myself (61 Reissue) after years of thinking I didn't like them. I absolutely love mine. The only con I can think of is that it does lack some beefy bottom end that a Les Paul gives me (I play punk rock style). But I can work around it. They're awesome guitars

MBT74 likes this.
  3. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

I’ve had 4 so far, various years and configurations. All big guard models. I prefer ebony fretboards as well. I’ve noticed I like the 50s rounded neck more. My SG Voodoo, Crescent Faded and Blue Mist Special all had that neck. My ‘69 Custom did not.

Tuning problems are often solved with a setup, however after I went back to stock waffleback tuners from Klusons on that Maestro-equipped Custom I noticed it really wouldn’t hold tune at all. I swapped out to new Kluson Revolution tuners on the Cresent and thought that was a great upgrade without drilling holes.

Haven’t noticed neck dive. I’ve noticed the body shape and neck fit really well when sitting down. The neck feels right there.

They are a bit of a polarizing instrument with regards to opinion, it isn’t a Strat or LP though so I’d imagine any instrument to have that.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
    aynirar27 likes this.
  4. m.z.

m.z. "Musician" /Gear Hoarder

I love my white ‘63 SG Special...

The only con I have is that it’s somewhat difficult for a few mins switching from/ to any other guitar... mine is so different from my other guitars... the fretboard being pushed out to the end of the body is the biggest thing to get used to for me

jcs likes this.
  5. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

This is my 2017 SG Standard. It replaced a Les Paul which I always gas’d for never really played. Sold it to another TGP’er who’s taking good care of it (Alan, I’m looking at you :) )

The benefits coming from a Les Paul TO ME are:
    - lighter and thinner
    - amazing fret access
    - fantastic pickups: Classic 57s came standard on 2017 model (although obviously you can put those in any humbucker guitar)
    - neck scale length works better for me
    - tone for days

Good luck!

6. Rockledge

Rockledge Member

Most of the Gibson SGs I have played were a bit brighter than I like, and were neck heavy. Which to me is the main thing I don't like about them. They are a bit awkward to hold on stage.
    I like Epiphone SGs better, even though they are exactly the same as the Gibsons they seem to me to have warmer tone and the feel of the notes is better. I just played an Epiphone yesterday, a friend of mine has it and wanted me to check it out. The thing is great to play sitting down, but again, suffers from the neck dive thing.
    I have a Jay Tursor guitar that looks a lot like the SG Custom that Glen Buxton is seen with on Alice Cooper Band album covers, except it only has 2 pickups. It isn't neck heavy and it feels a lot beefier than the Gibsons. It also sustains for days. It is a bit different than the Gibson/Epiphones and doesn't feel exactly the same ( which is why I like it) but it is more comfortable on stage because it is so well balanced. It sustains like guitars that are much heavier do and has that beefy feel to it.
    I also move the strap button from the back of them and use a small piece of plastic tubing to make a custom shaped washer that fits over the end of the horn and drill right into the end of the horn so as to move the strap button from the back of the guitar to the horn.
    On the other hand, guys I know who like them REALLY like them.
    I have a friend who has huge fingers, he is a big guy ( about 6'2") I have played with on and off for about 40 years and his index finger is as wide as my big toe, and he can play guitars clear up the neck. How he gets those sausages of his between those upper frets is beyond me.
    But the dude loves SGs, he has numerous guitars ( he has more guitars than my wife has shoes) but when I first met him he raved about his SGs. He has an early 60s one and a few later Bibsons and an Epiphone or two. He likes them all. He seldom gigs with them that I have seen , but when he walks into his studio it is as often as not an SG he picks up.
    I guess the Gibson/Epiphone SGs are something guys really like or really don't.

7. milli vanilli

milli vanilli Member

My strap is 4 inches wide I think. Bad back and neck, makes all my guitars sit still and kinda distributes the pressure over my shoulders. I know a few guys that held onto their guitars with neck dive after trying a wider strap.

rxguitars likes this.
  8. Hofnarr

Hofnarr Member

I think the SG's clean tone is fabulous.

9. DGDGBD

DGDGBD Member

from my limited knowledge, when gibson first released the SG there were complaints of weak neck joint so after a few years they redesigned the neck joint; the end result being a more stable neck but pushing it out further out from the base of the guitar. I think it was the same time as the pickguard change.

10. HesNot

HesNot Supporting Member

Just about all has been said I’ll just augment my highlights - I’ve always struggled a bit with the SG because:

Con - never really liked the spike horns

Pros - they almost always sound awesome - every model p90 or HH including a Epiphone Pro my son has ...

11. TattooedCarrot

TattooedCarrot Supporting Member

So because the glue on your vintage guitar had issues means the entire line is prone to crack from one bad flex, Or was it just an old guitar that had issues?

If the OP is asking about investing in a vintage SG then I would be more on board with this type of caution, but to apply something like this as an inherent flaw to all SG's, and modern SG's, nope. Just not buying it.

12. Riffzilla

Riffzilla Member

The neck dive thing I've only ever had on an Epiphone. My Gibson doesn't dive at all. Posted this before but if you hold it like this (but slung more on your right hip) it stays put, doesn't feel too far left and is actually a really nice comfy playing position

[​IMG]

Ugh, wish I got a TV yellow or black one! Cherry is so generic.

13. oresti

oresti Member

Both the Les Paul and the SG have the same scale length, 24-3/4”. Why would the SG work better for you?

14. flyonthewall150

flyonthewall150 Supporting Member

Con:
    try keeping that G in tune

15. SmartAlex

SmartAlex Supporting Member

Ah yes, d'oh. Scrap that one. I was thinking of another scale length then. My bad.
    For the remainder of the reasons above then.

16. disconnector

disconnector Member

Agreed. Set the switch to the center position, roll the neck to 5 and bridge to 4ish, plug into a Deluxe Reverb with a little DMM, and bask in the glorious awesomeness. Chime for days with my Epi.

Thumpalumpacus, rxguitars and Hofnarr like this.
  17. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

Pros: Lightweight

Cons: It's a Gibson (authentic, over-priced, suspect quality, etc. - imho), the looks, the clean tone

18. muku

muku Supporting Member

I've had 3 guitars (out of 150) that I wore the frets down on:
    a 1971 Yamaki, A 99 FAT strat and a 98 SG.

19. bertramladner

bertramladner Supporting Member

Pay $860 for a used SG Standard stock it’s great and I hate HB guitars usually

20. ifallalot

ifallalot Supporting Member

-Tone
    -Ergonomics (standing and sitting)
    -Aesthetics
    -Weight

Dislike
    -Tuning problems

stormtrooper likes this.