Pros and Cons of using Apps for Business

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by StevenA, Apr 15, 2016.

1. StevenA

StevenA Member

i came upon a business management app that has everything I need and want, cost is 999.99. My concern is that I'm about to put a large data base into it and am unsure of what would happen if the app crashed, got corrupted or wasn't o longer supported. Can you save files from apps to storage? As proprietary software, I'm unsure if it would migrate to other similar software. Perhaps these questions are answered by the developer, just interested in other's opinions and experience.

2. Mayo5

Mayo5 Member

Can you please restructure your question?

I work for a very large and famous company. We have all sorts of software, applications, add-ins, etc. I would think you questions need to be more detailed and specific to be able to help.

3. StevenA

StevenA Member

Ok, how does an app, for example, from Quicken books differ from software you would load from a cd into your computer. Is there no difference?

4. The Funk

The Funk Member

Apps are not your data. If you hook a database to an app, your database contains your data. The app is just the sense though which you view your data. If you want to switch to another app for any reason, its as simple as hooking up your database and building whatever view you want.

Assuming we are talking mobile, the pro is accessibility wherever you are. The cons......limited local power for processing, but thats about it.

5. StevenA

StevenA Member

Thanks

6. cob666

cob666 Member

If you're concerned about your data, perhaps you SHOULD as the developer to clarify any potential issues you have. Start with these:

Is the data stored on the device or is it 'cloud' based.
    What is the process for backing up / restoring the database.
    What is the process for exporting the data into a format that can be imported into another system.