Pros and cons, Pro Tools vs. Cakewalk

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Soulgolem, Aug 5, 2005.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hi, a friend a mine said he'd lend me Cakewalk as i was about to blindly purchase Pro tools not knowing any of the software, this is really unlike me to just choose something without asking 2390 people. I guess i was tired of asking everyone about everything and never being able to ultimately make up my mind, but now that i'm presented with a choice, I have to know what to do, can anyone comment the pros and cons of PT and CW ??

Thanks a lot,
    Francis.

2. tonefreak

tonefreak Member

ProTools!

I've used Cubase SX and Logic Audio Platinum, and I have never regretted the move to ProTools.

And remember, ProTools is an industry standard... might as well learn a program that many others use as well. That way you are in good company in the event you have any questions or issues.

3. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Though, there is no question that ProTools is an industry standard... their interface still doesn't allow for recording at 24/96, does it?

And there are more plugins available as DX and VST, if I am not mistaken.

Not a slight against ProTools in the least... just more information to chew on.

4. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

The end result will be the same from either program if used correctly.

Pro Tools is the industry standard, but given so few records ever amount to much within the industry, I see little advantage to using P.T. for that reason alone unless the goal is to eventually work in a studio.

FTR, Cakewalk is a company that makes a number of products, so what you're really asking about is Sonar4, their flagship pro audio package. It comes in two versions, Studio or Producer. The former costs around $300, the latter $500, and those are street prices. Pro Tools costs more.

The Studio version of S4 has no surround sound capabilities, lacks the surround sound plugins that come with the Producer version, and lacks a few other features like built-in per track eq (you can use eq on each track with the studio version, but you have to insert each one as a plugin), and it lacks the Pow-r dithering option which is supposed to be outstanding for dithering down from 24-bit to 16-bit.

What I like about Cakewalk is they listen to the complaints and suggestions of their customers and respond. They just released a patch for S4 that really solved a few problems people were having and also improved the performance. Guys are running projects at 90% cpu capacity without dropouts, and now have a truly gapless audio engine.

The MIDI construction and editing features in S4 are over the top, as are the audio and MIDI loop features.

Another good thing about Cakewalk is they just bought out RGC Audio and hired its founder to aid them in the development of synths and plugins.

Cakewalk also has a huge customer base that work together in forums to help each other out, and given the steep learning curve of any pro audio package, that's a big plus.

By the way, you can download a trial version of S4 from the Cakewalk site.

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

The only person I know that's used both switched from Cakewalk to ProTools several years ago and has never regretted the change.

--chiba

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

There used to be a time when vst and direct x plugs were not even close to tdm plugs but I don't think thats's the case any more. Now there're vst plugs everywhere, even some usable ones that are free. If you're doing a lot of midi, sonar 4 might actually be better, with the vsti & rewire support.

7. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Cakewalk is so named because it's easy to use.

ProTools is professional audio recording software.

8. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

PT vs. Cakewalk is not a fare comparison. Pro Tools trounces Cakewalk.

Pro Tools vs. Nuendo...now we have ourselves a relatively fair comparison.

Pro Tools vs. Samplitude or Sequoia...no contest based on what I have heard...but I can't afford Sequoia, and I am not a PC guy.

PT is the standard. Standards can be a good thing if you are making money as an audio professional. People who know nothing about audio still recognize the name Pro Tools. Does that make PT better? IMO, hell no...but it is the standard and you cannot go wrong if you are using what the majority of pro studio's are using.

You can make a great recording on any platform if you know what you're doing. If you are without clue, it wouldn't matter if you had a month blocked out at Quad or Ocean Way, you'd get nothing out of it.

Good luck.

9. elambo

elambo Member

There are a few misconceptions being thrown out. ProTools can record up to 24bit 192KHz, but that's their TDM version which is expensive. It has nothing to do with the interface though - it's the hardware. There is the Digidesign M-Box, which has been selling for pretty cheap these days ($349 is standard - 24bit 48KHz) which includes ProTools software, or the 002, which is more expensive but a big upgrade in functionality and sound quality (it's a little over $1000 - records up to 24 bit 96KHz).

Don't worry about recording above 48K - many of the pros with unlimited budgets still record at 44.1K even after trying 192K.

As far as the pros and cons of each, the names say it all. If you're taking this seriously, buy the best ProTools system your budget will allow.

10. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Usable?

Try excellent. Several freeware plugs (SIR, Bionic Delay) see as much as big buck UAD and WAVES plugs, here.

11. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Again I point out that Cakewalk is the name of a company.

Sonar4 is a professional package that comes with a 676 page manual that barely covers the bases. Most users end up buying extra how-to books to learn the extent of its capabilities. With it I can transport, insert and edit audio loops extensively, record unlimited audio tracks, insert dozens of effects, change tempo midstream, and create backing tracks from scratch using MIDI in conjunction with VST or DirectX effects and softsynths. Samples and soundfonts are fully supported by the product. Sonar4 Producer edition will also work with video in conjunction with audio for movie scoring.

The MIDI controller/editing/construction features in Sonar3/Sonar4 are considered by MIDI programmers to far exceed anything Pro Tools offers.

You guys need to get your facts straight before making categorical statements about products you're ignorant of. Sonar3 was redesigned from the ground up--there's no comparing it or Sonar4 to any previous products released by Cakewalk.

12. GuitslingerTim

GuitslingerTim Member

Pro Tools can not trounce Cakewalk--it's a company.

Care to elaborate why you think Pro tools is superior to Sonar4? Have you used Sonar3 or Sonar4?

13. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

I have to agree with GuitslingerTim on his last 2 posts.

And as far as standards go... Alesis ADAT's were the "standard" for a time... need I say more? :D

14. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

Terrific, but he asked about Cakewalk.

15. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

From Cakewalk (the company)'s Product Page:

Again... Cakewalk is NOT a product... it is a company.

Professional/Project Studio Recording
    SONAR 4 Producer Edition, SONAR 4 Studio Edition, Project5, Guitar Tracks Pro, Cakewalk VST Adapter
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Home Recording
    SONAR Home Studio Version 4 XL, SONAR Home Studio Version 4, Kinetic, Music Creator Version 2, PC Music Pack 2003, Plasma 2003, Pyro 5, PYRO Plus
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Digital Music Management
    Pyro 5, PYRO Plus
    DirectX Plug-ins
    Sonitus:fx plug-ins, Plasma FXPad, Audio FX 1, Audio FX 2, Audio FX 3, Alien Connections ReValver, Antares Tube, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Bias SoundSoap 2, IK Multimedia AmpliTube, Pentagon I, PSP Audioware Vintage Warmer, WaveArts TrackPlug, Cakewalk VST Adapter, Z3TA+
    DJ/Remix Products
    SONAR 4 Producer Edition, SONAR 4 Studio Edition, Project5, Kinetic, Plasma 2003
    DXi Soft Synths
    rgcAudio Triangle DXi (FREE), Cakewalk VST Adapter
    Guitar Products
    Guitar Tracks Pro 3, IK Multimedia AmpliTube, Audio FX 2, Alien Connections Revalver
    Loops Libraries
    Cakewalk Loops Series, PowerFX Loop Libraries, Smart Loops Libraries
    MIDI FX
    MusicLab Rhythm'n'Chords™ Pro 2.2, MusicLab Rhythm'n'Chords™ Pro 2.2 + Rhythm Pattern Library, MusicLab DrumTools, MusicLab VeloMaster 1.2, NTONYX Style Enhancer
    Cakewalk Books
    SONAR Insider, SONAR 3 Power, SONAR 3 Ignite, SONAR 3 Mixing and Mastering, SONAR 2 Power, SONAR 2.0 Quickstart, SONAR Power, Cakewalk Power, Home Recording Power,
    Other Resources

16. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

So when he said...

....is it possible that Cakewalk THE COMPANY once had A PRODUCT named "Cakewalk Pro Audio" that people commonly referred to simply as "Cakewalk," and that this is what his friend is offering to lend him?

I think that's a much more likely scenario than his friend loaning him the entire company. ;)

17. t0neg0d

t0neg0d Member

Somehow I am seriously doubting that he is referring to Cakewalk's "Pro Audio 9" (which is the last release of a product called "Pro Audio"). This was released somewhere around '98 to '99... 6 to 7 years ago.

If he has the money to spend on ProTools LE (assuming he is referring to ProTools low-end software based recording solution), then I would also assume he is referring to Cakewalk's "Sonar 3 or 4" (which has less latency issues and less real time monitoring issues than ProTools LE).