PROs delay

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Vishnu, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

i have seen some fine guitarists live in my day....Akkerman,Mclaughlin,Page Santana,J Beck....seen some great ones on the TV/net, May,Moore and loads of others.......all have nice tone and some of them use delay as a FEATURE for short spells

here is my point, NONE of them appear to use delay for solos....JBeck has a reverb sound in his live concerts,Santana uses it for that silly chromatic trick but not for general soloing.if these greats use delays in their solos i can't hear it!i am talking a GENERAL delay sound for all or most solos

watched another fine guitarist here on TGP the other day JOE B. he has about 350ms delay with 5 repeats , so obvious to the listener.
    what's going on ? do the guys i have mentioned above use delay but in a more subtle manner?

most pros,not all of course,seem to avoid that obvious CLICK CLICK.... repeats like the plague,live and on record...any thoughts?

2. imaguy2

imaguy2 Member

Delay is to the 2010's as chorus was to the 1980's.

3. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

i was thinking of all those 70s beautiful tones.......i know what i would rather listen to....oh man,i'm gettin' old

4. muddy

muddy Member

steve hillage soloed with an echoplex on, pretty much always...

ml

5. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

there's a name i hivnae heard in a while

6. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

please let's not turn this post into an exception to the rule type thing..... "but Dave Gilmour uses it all the time......."

in GENERAL he said

7. Vishnu

Vishnu Member

bump p p p p p p p p for the evening shift :)

8. david(j)

david(j) Supporting Member

i somewhat agree here.

it's easy to overuse it, too, just like 80s chorus...

i do love it, but it's definitely not something i use all the time...

9. champion ruby

champion ruby Member

Not to mention a phaser pretty much always too. Thanks you made me put on Live Herald. :bong

10. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

You're right, I lot of the 'old school' guitar guys don't us much delay. But it's been in vogue since the echoplex, and I think it will in for years yet.

What is new is the bright tone of delays these days - back in the day it was a warm analogue or more likely a warm compressed tape echo. That sort of delay merges into your playing much better - less of the click click vibe goin' on.

Personally, I like one of each. I have the TimeFactor for the modern stuff, and a Line6 Echo Park set to analogue for the old school stuff. I'd love to replace the line6 with a EHX Memory Man.

11. muddy

muddy Member

but jeff beck has his delay on most of the time since the 80's, albeit softly...

ml