Pros Messing Up/Hitting Clams?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by stevel, Feb 14, 2020.

1. lp144

lp144 Silver Supporting Member

After the clam, nod your head like you meant to play that exact riff, and no one will know. Mistakes are made to learn from.

2. dogbone94

dogbone94 Supporting Member

Suck it up buttercup it happens to the best of us. I did it the other night, the whole band cracked up, so I did it again... :D:);)
    Try not to take yourself so seriously playing is fun....

3. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

One of my favorite Freddie King tunes.:aok

4. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

You also have to remember the ability of movies to capture excellent musical concert audio back then was pathetic. You have to imagine how it sounded live, with a frequency response on his guitar about 10 times wider than what you hear here. Too bad, but there are few truly good recordings of Hendrix live - but picture this playing with the sound he got in the studio.

Miki Dord likes this.
  5. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

LOL...yikes!

Heck, I've done that...didn't sound like Clapton to begin with, but had a good thing going, clicked in a pedal or flipped pickups, went bad, quickly switched back.

6. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

That reminds me. We were at band practice yesterday and we have a song that ends with this fast, thrash-style riff. The problem was, it sounded off: one of us was playing out of tune. I checked my tuning: fine. Asked the other guitarist to check his tuning. Fine. Next time round, I look over and notice he's playing the whole part 1/2 step down from where it should be played. We had a good laugh about that one :p:D:spit

mnf67 likes this.
  7. Doomrider78

Doomrider78 Member

Fast thrash metal or technical death metal is pretty unforgiving: one note slightly off, in terms of timing and/or pitch, can derail the whole song.

55goldtop and freedom's door like this.
  8. jcs

jcs Member

Hmmm...on the ALC tour he was perfect but everyone will have off nights...the key is moving on quickly and putting it behind you.

Myself, i MUST stretch fingers with rubber bands in all directions or its a real mess...usually need to warm up for at least 10 minutes as well.

When i saw Eric on the ALC tour he spent maybe 45 minutes tuning his 64 SG Standard on a strobe while Derek Trucks band played.

9. jcs

jcs Member

Yep.....his hero Joe Perry is famous for clams, same with Johnny Thunders....with rock its more about feel when playing live and of course in real jazz you can get by with certain 'clams' imo!

led zep fan likes this.
  10. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

For me, the problem with JH @ the IoW is that he seems to be completely out of his mind on acid.

11. Gibson Dog

Gibson Dog Silver Supporting Member

If you're playing Rock n' Roll who cares.

12. circle_o_5ths

circle_o_5ths Member

Well, how many are we allowing?

13. KiddBilly

KiddBilly Member

3:53 for some heroin loaded clam chowder...

Jimmy never really fully recovered after this tour in my opinion as a player, but that is a different story

Starecat likes this.
  14. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

why do people always seem to go to drugs to explain Jimi's performance at any time or place. Compared to other rock players, his drug use was pretty tame, some psychedelics, weed, and a lot of little white pills. He was never a heroin user to my knowledge, like many of his contemporaries.
    If you read the books about Hendrix, as I have, you'll see why he was in that state at IOW, and it has little or nothing to do with drugs. He was having terrible problems with his management, who may or may not have had him kidnapped for some hours to get him in line in reference to the studio he was trying to build. The studio situation was going badly, it was constantly behind schedule and over- budget, and it was the most important thing to him at that point in life. Management was also ripping him off, and making him tour incessantly to make more money for them to steal, and he was sleep-deprived as a result of all the pressures on him. No wonder all this came together at IOW, he was exhausted and also pissed off by stuff that was going down with the authorities at that concert. What you are seeing is a man at the end of his rope.
    Read the backstory, it will shock you.
    Al

DRS, muzishun and jcs like this.
  15. iamdavea

iamdavea Silver Supporting Member

The reason why I went to "the drug card" is because his stage patter is kinda incoherent. And from the footage I've seen of him performing "In From the Storm", he plainly looks like a guy who is tripping. And I'm sure all the things you have correctly mentioned played a part too. At the end of "Storm", he politely thanks the audience, and then--in one motion--clears the strap off his shoulder and lets his Strat fall straight to the ground. Bam! You can't help but think that, by that point, the whole scene was one giant burden to him.

16. Billyzoom1

Billyzoom1 Member

I remember reading an interview with Angus Young where he said whenever he hits a clam live he tries to hit the same one once or twice more so it sounds like he meant it. Tongue in cheek, but there's some wisdom in there somewhere...

17. Billyzoom1

Billyzoom1 Member

My namesake, the great Billy Zoom was rather a disappointment the last time I saw him. Hit a few clams, just seemed off, to the point where I wondered if he could hear everyone else okay. Kind of a bummer, but still a big inspiration to me.

18. Billyzoom1

Billyzoom1 Member

I still obsess every time I hear Chicago's "I'm a Man" because the tambourine comes in a half second late. Once I heard it I could never unhear it. Killer song regardless.

Bob Maximus likes this.
  19. Flyin' Brian

Flyin' Brian Member

If I don't hit a couple of clams in a gig, I'm just phoning it in.

20. jcs

jcs Member

Yea....man, when Jimi, Jim and Janis passed away it was absolutely devasting...i was 11.