pros n' cons of an imac 27 desktop vs mac pro book 2.5ghz?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jbert, Feb 13, 2015.

1. jbert

jbert Member

I'm entering the DAW's recording realm for a project studio (songwriter/musician). I'd be interested to know which computer would best suit my needs . I'd really appreciate any advice from experienced persons. to prove what a novice I am.... my previous studio was comprised of 2 Tascam da-88's. archaic indeed. any input would be appreciated.

2. neoprimitive

neoprimitive Member

Macbook Pro. I have access to both of these computers at my job, not for music but for graphics and web work. the MBP is a far better machine in my opinion. I'm not even a Mac guy, but the MBP is a nice machine all the way around.

3. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

i actually own both of these machines and use them both as DAWs. right now the laptop is running as a VI/synth slave to the imac with VEP5.

the imac is the superior machine. with a 3.5ghz i7 and 32gb RAM, it overpowers the MBP pretty significantly. the real estate on the 27" screen is better by far. obviously the imac isnt portable, but i cant think of any reason anyone would choose the MBP unless portability was necessary. i can say this though: my laptop has an SSD boot drive and the imac has the hybrid drive. the MBP boots and loads projects a little faster, but SSD/flash is available in imacs as well. that was a choice i made when i bought the machine.

if you cant get the i7 imac, then go with the i7 laptop.

4. Mr God

Mr God Member

The major con that prevents me from buying an iMac 27 is that since they started using Thunderbolt instead of DisplayPort on it you can't use Target Display-mode with anything but other thunderbolt devices.

So if you want to connect something that outputs HDMI, like a gaming console or a PC-computer to the iMac 27's screen - you can't. A HDMI<>Thunderbolt converter would incur significant latency to the signal enough that moving a mouse on screen or playing a playstation game wouldn't be a nice experience. It's a real shame, because the display in the iMac 27 is seriously fantastic.

5. cjcayea

cjcayea cool as a cucumber in a bowl of hot sauce

you can use the macs native screen sharing app through ethernet for most things. this is how i run my system for DAW use but it definitely wouldnt be good for video games; latency is too great for that.

6. vicdeluca71

vicdeluca71 Member

Yep,no reason to get MBP unless you need portability .

7. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

For me, portability is huge. I'd to the MBP and get an external display.

Being able to just pack my whole recording studio into a couple of bags and go someplace is really useful to me.

I'll never buy a desktop computer again I think.

8. Digitalman

Digitalman Member

Portability, whether you think you need it now or not. My bass player got an iMac and tried to tell him to get an MBP so we could set up anywhere. Now I need his backup on soft synth and looping, so he's on the market for a MBP as well.

I run Logic on my MBP and use a 27" external monitor with it and work with both screens.

9. jbert

jbert Member

thanks everyone. this has been helpful. portability is a concern when it comes to recording drums. I can't really record drum in my home. luckily a neighbor has a great facility for recording drums and the laptop would be a great portable solution. although, my friend also has a protools setup so perhaps I could use his computer (pc) to record the drums and send it to my computer. what would be the best method of sending it to my computer?
    I like the idea of a large screen (imac 27) so the windows don't overlap. it would be more economical than buying the mac pro book and a monitor.

10. howseth

howseth Member

Portability is the question: If I'm gonna sit tight - I want the biggest screen, No! two screens, if possible ( my 2011 27" Imac is connected with a thunderbolt adapter to an older 24" Samsung Syncmaster 213T (the Samsung is vertical - and the Imac horizontal, obviously - but I can drag the images right across both screens (The built in apple software OSX works really well for this)....
    If you gonna move around that won't work. MacBookPro then - with an adapter ready for hookup to another external screen when you are back at your home studio.

Some people use an I pad for everything: astonishing.

11. jonnytexas

jonnytexas Supporting Member

My MBP has been great for recording. Besides portability for tracking, it's nice to take your laptop and a good set of cans and do some mixing wherever you might find yourself.