Pros Using the Line 6 DL4

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by maromad89, Sep 6, 2008.

1. maromad89

maromad89 Member

Hello TGP guys! I simply want to know which artists have used the DL4 in their songs, and in which particular song?

If you can and know, please help me as I canĀ“t try one where I live and have to buy it directly.

2. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

If you're asking about studio use on recordings, the answer is probably none. Anyone working on a major-label project will have access to all the gear the DL-4 is trying to emulate.

Live use is a different matter, as that's what the unit was designed for.

3. paraedolia

paraedolia Member

I have the feeling popsongsmith is probably right about studio use, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that some people use them for recording too.
    I know that Bill Frisell uses one live along with the Digitech PSD8000.
    I've seen it on pics of a lot of people's live rigs of late too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svzv-YkUzdk

I think it's a lot better as a looper than as a delay modeller -- the DM2 model doesn't really sound much like my RetroSonic delay, the DMM model doesn't really sound much like my DMM, and neither of the tape models really sound much like my EP4 (although I know they're supposed to model the EP1 & 3)...but it's sure a lot easier and more convenient to cart around, and no head cleaning/demagnetisation/tape replacement needed.

4. bleomonkey

bleomonkey Member

5. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

This is not necessarily true...

6. Marc Roy

Marc Roy Member

I saw Dave Grissom had one on his board. Sounded great with it too. Then again, he sounds great plugged into practically anything.

7. CWFurst

CWFurst Member

The DL-4 is on almost every major session I've seen. It's one of the more common pieces of equipment down here. Anyway... Who cares.

8. Loobster

Loobster Member

Umm, no.

Amongst others, I remember seeing a studio picture of Eric Johnson where he had one hooked up on the floor for the Bloom sessions. Go figure...

9. fish01

fish01 Member

Brent Mason has one on his session board.

10. TomK

TomK Member

Ok - this is off the top of my head.....
    Nashville cats Kenny Greenburg and Gary Burnett for sure.
    Lyle Workman...
    Brad Whitford and Joe Perry
    I put both the DL4 and MM4 on Hiram Bullock's (RIP) studio / live board.
    Paul Ill
    Justin Meldal Johnson
    Peter Stroud (Sheryl Crow)
    Michael Hodge

I have been around alot of sessions and I see them all the time
    Studios (and players for that matter) don't always have access to the boutique stuff - especially tape echoes or old analog delays.

I built boards professionally for at least 5 years for both touring and recording guys....it was RARE that a board did not have at least both the MM4 and DL4 on it. While we are on the subject...I don't recall having a discussion with any of the dozens of clients I had about whether it sounded "just like a......". They all seemed to dig the sounds and versatility more than anything.

11. Loobster

Loobster Member

Exactly.

I just bought another one after my first dying. Reliability is not their strong suit, but I just really wanted another. It's a cool, inspiring piece of kit that brings a smile to the face of player - and really that's what it's all about. I could give a **** that it's not a dead-on recreation of an Echoplex or whatever...

12. JMarck

JMarck Member

Philip Sayce
    Doyle Bramhall II

13. TomK

TomK Member

That's actually a great attitude to take toward any piece of gear, especially modelling technology. I have seen a lot of PODs VG-8, Korg A-3 and their ilk on records as well - more for the unique sounds they can create rather than because they nail something. It's all about having more colors and brushes to paint and create textures with!

I've still got my original MM4, DL4 and MM4 - bought when they were released and have never had an issue!

14. kldonegan

kldonegan Member

The last time I saw Gary's board he had two DL-4's on there.

15. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

Mike McCready - Pearl Jam, for live work
    Nick McCabe - The Verve, currently has one on his live board, but he's got to have a ton of other verb/delays in rack form to do all the stuff he does.

Those are two of my favorites, screw the rest :D

cheers

16. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member

Just about every pro I see has one of these on their live board. It's pretty much industry standard. I never have played one but I did play the M13 last week and I was impressed. I thought the delays sounded better than the DD-20 I used to have. I figure I will by an M13 pretty soon.

17. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

I guess I stand corrected. I can see the DL4, but the MM4? Realy? I had both at one point, and the MM4 had some cool sounds, particularly chorus and phasers, but ultimately, the volume drop and tone suckage killed the deal. And since I was using it for chorus, phase and trem primarily, I was able to replace it with much higher quality individual analog effects. Plus, you can't combine the effects. I will admit that the interface is brilliant though.

What's weird is that Line 6 hasn't capitalized on their technology and interface design to a greater extent. if they introduced that line in a "pro" version, with better components and switches, less tone suck and volume drop, they could all but corner the market.

18. TomK

TomK Member

How is Gary? I have not talked to him in ages. He is such a good player. I love his textures.

James Pennebaker
    Brendan OBrien
    Jerry McPherson

19. TomK

TomK Member

I agree. I always felt that a programmable multi-fx version that combined the "best of" all of the pedals would have been a hit. At one point they were seriously discussing a multi-fx rack unit. The rack "Pro" versions of the DL4, MM4 and Filter (FM4?) were much better but not easy to integrate into the pedal board! Sonically - they are much better. The MM4 and DL4 can both be improved sonically with some careful surgery of the analog section.(I have not attempted this myself but Robert Keeley got the poop from Jeorge Tripps apparently). The DM4 actually is the best of all the L6 modellers - it has a much better analog front end. I also love the expression pedal control. I think they were so popular because for the time they were very innovative and really unique in the market.

An easy upgrade to all of the L6 modellers is to use a solid external DC LINEAR power supply that replaces their outboard crappy noisy wallwart (leftover from the POD project...) and their internal switching power supply. They are current hogs and their performance is highly dependant upon good power. I run mine at 12-15vdc from my JuiceBox power supply.

I have thought of replacing my beloved L6 stompers (mostly for weight and real estate reasons) with either the TC Nova series (smaller, lighter, programmable....) or the Eventide. If cash were no object I would choose Eventide due to the USB programming, MIDI control and expression pedal control. Either the TC or Eventide weigh about 1/2 of the L6 units too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  20. mr.blacksummer

mr.blacksummer Member

I dig this thread :drink

I love the DL-4...
    I just keep 1 on the board and one at home- incase the main one goes bad.
    and I have a deal with line 6...so they always fix any problems pretty quickly.
    1 of mine has had zero problems with thousands of hours of use...TONS of live and studio gigging. but my 2nd one has had a few hiccups...getting fixed right now:eek:
    anyway...lots of people are always kicking the DL-4's balls in...good to see a thread showing its prominence in the professional world.
    :AOK