Pros Who Use Mono Rigs

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DreamPop, Jan 22, 2012.

1. DreamPop

DreamPop Senior Member

I'm in the middle of designing and building my rack rig. My goal is to make set-up easier, make troubleshooting a breeze, end tap dancing, increase sound quality, etc (you know, all the normal reasons for going rack). I've been debating adding a Carvin DCM150 for some stereo or wet/dry applications, but I don't really want to haul around another cabinet and microphones. Besides, the most people I play to is around 750. I think having 1 rack space left to fill is giving me nasty, nasty ideas. Anyway, I've been checking out some pro rigs and seems like very few run mono. The only ones I could find were:

Brad Paisley (maybe)
    Johnny Marr (maybe)

what other pros run mono?

2. Dale

Dale Member

Live it seems to me there is really very little use for stereo is there? I understand the artist on stage may hear it but the audience?

3. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

So you're saying that most pros run stereo rigs? I think this is completely incorrect.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

4. DreamPop

DreamPop Senior Member

No, I'm asking for examples of pros that go mono. In my experience (ie the last hour or so), a lot of pros seem to be using multiple amps, wet/dry, stereo, etc. Maybe I've been spending too much time at rig talk. I'm not trying to make blanket statements or argue.

Also, add Alex Lifeson and Tab Kubler to my list.

5. jakethesnake

jakethesnake Supporting Member

I believe Rich Robinson does.

6. npfrs

npfrs Member

7. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus Member

I'm not sure if it's what you're asking but Jonny Greenwood and Ed O'Brien both have two amps on stage, using one for clean and one for distortion(although recently Ed "went stereo").

8. Strat

Strat Member

guess what - all 750 don't care. None of those pros set up their own rigs.

9. Dale

Dale Member

Stereo is different from running 2 or more amps. Stereo is how the signal is split and bounced side to side in some way.

10. woof*

woof* Member

This.
    I doubt there are that many stereo rigs out there. The audience doesn't hear it really. Most use multiamp rigs. I use two amps almost always in tandem and sometimes only one is wet, but not stereo. I run two amps in tandem because it sounds good and if one dies you have a running backup. I think most pros run multiples for the same reasons.

11. stilwel

stilwel Member

The Edge runs a mono rig.

I'd say that most pros actually run mono.

12. 4nd3h

4nd3h Member

Find a list of pros who run stereo and pick everyone else...

13. cheameup

cheameup Member

but is it a stereo rig when you run 2 amps in mono and the sound guy pans em in the mix ?

14. MG90

MG90 Member

No. There is processing that makes it stereo.

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

lame contribution to this thread.FYI Pros/my self included put together our rigs and get it to where we are able to be at our best.Sure Our Techs,and roadies set our gear up but they are following instructions and guidelines..Will the 750 care? With that attitude ya probably won't ever know.
    To OP, Stereo rigs are still out there.Sometimes it is a center Dry/LR effects thing..Works well in all situations.IMHO

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  16. weshunter

weshunter Supporting Member

Op - most pros and everybody else use mono rigs w/backups. Some folks use dual amp setups where one is higher gain than the other or one has verb/delay an one is dry. Most people run mono.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

17. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I run a stereo rig, it sounds much bigger. While it might be more questionable to bring a stereo rig to a gig (unless you have a crew) I would say most recordings use stereo effect significantly, whether it be doubling the guitar track, panning wide and detuning one side, delaying one side about 10-50ms, using auto-pitch-correct on one side, or running a spread stereo chorus.

It isn't too uncommon to here a stereo rotary effect at shows, which is just an obvious example that there is stereo capability. The amps you see on stage, at many shows (not really small ones) often do suggest anything about stereo or mono - I would do my 'post-process' or wet effects after the dry signal: ie, miced dry amp to wet effect so the sound guy sends a stereo signal the PA. I know the sound system at smaller medium sized gigs often can't handle this, but I would be surprise if larger pavilions or arenas don't all have a good enough sound system.

18. DreamPop

DreamPop Senior Member

Thanks guys! I think I will keep things simple and get a tuner to fill that rack space.

Small, off-topic favor: does anyone have pics of Rusty Anderson's rack?

19. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Joe Satriani runs a mono rig.

20. apoyando

apoyando Supporting Member

One way you might think about it is this:
    Most venues don't have "ideal " seating ... i.e . It's not like listening to a great stereo or 5.1 system in a theatre...
    If you use panning effects or say, an effect that is " one side only " a large % of your audience won't really experience it " center stage " .
    This is one (musical ) reason mono is way more common...