PROTO GUITARS - custom pickups

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by ProtoGuitars, Apr 23, 2015.

1. ProtoGuitars

ProtoGuitars Supporting Member

We're going to try something new here, where we make the covers first, you choose which one you like, and we build whatever guts you want inside of it. Truly custom!

ANY cover/pickup combo is $145 !!

We have 12 of these to start with, but if you want a matching set, we can always create a second of any of them for you. All are standard humbucker size nickel covers that we age and oxidize and seal with crazy stuff to achieve these effects - and any of them can be loaded wit your choice of pickup guts, all of which are designed, cut, wound, sealed and finished here in house.

Some options: A2, A3, A5, A8 magnets, humbucking, split humbucking, PAF style, p90, filtertron, strat, Rickenbacker, underwound, overwound.. any of these styles/materials can be built in to any of these shells. Insert material (which shows through the vents) can also be just about anything. See our other posts or our instagram for some visual ideas.

Email me at ProtoGuitars@Gmail.com to order. Turnaround time 10-14 days as of April 2016

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  2. ProtoGuitars

A few ideas:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 19, 2015
  3. ProtoGuitars

Running this sale pricing for TGP again.
    Do it! Several new covers in stock and ready to go... just name your magnet, build and output!

4. mintyhippo

mintyhippo Member

You guys have any sound clips available?

5. ProtoGuitars

No. You might search for a "pickup demos are stupid" thread that I started a few months ago and was endlessly lampooned for.

In short - every pickup is made to order, so it's kind of hard for us to make a demo unless we make one for every build every day.

Especially these, as they can be anything you want! You pick the build style, the magnet type, the output, the wiring..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  6. mintyhippo

mintyhippo Member

Hey bro, hope you had a great weekend. Haha and thanks for telling me about the thread I had a good laugh. I really appreciate you speaking your mind without caring what over sensitive asshats think and sticking to what you believe is pragmatic, we need more people like that around. I still cant help but think that not all demos are useless. Yeah most are crap and only serve as entertainment but I think consistent player, amp setting, guitar, mic and placement are key. Unfortunately compression is always gonna be there but atleast the consistency in the other variables will make it easier to discern how the pickups sound even if we cant hear all of nuances, guess thats where customers can ask you questions. I get that your pickups are all unique and might differ but I think it could be helpful to have something a person can use as reference for each model pickup you make. Just my two cents tho, you do you boo boo. Anywho, about the pickup im curious about you radiator pickup. what does that sound like? is it like a gold foil sonically? is rich? shimmery? single coil like? etc.

7. ProtoGuitars

@mintyhippo
    Thanks for the kind-ish words :)
    The Radiators don't sound like anything. That's kind of the point of the demo video rants and why it's too hard to show what they "do". They are just covers and have no effect on the tonality of whatever we put inside of them.
    The radiators are standard humbucker size, but we can build whatever you want inside of them. Anything from traditional A5 PAF types to oversized Strat type single coils, hi-fi A8 p90s, Gretsch Filtertron types... whatever! By choosing the right magnets, wire and construction method, we can make it rich or shimmery or whatever. Purely cosmetic!

8. ProtoGuitars

Updated pricing and turnaround time. A few of the covers from the original post are still available, and a whole slew of new covers and ideas are on the bench now. Email me any time to work out your custom order. Current turnaround time is now 10-14 days.