Protocaster/McNaught refin project

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Down and Out in NYC, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Down and Out in NYC

Down and Out in NYC Gold Supporting Member

Just scroll to the bottom if ya don't wanna hear the story.

In about 2007 I scored a Mcnaught G4 used. Picked it up for what I considered at the time to be a bargain of a price. As a matter of fact I still do. Visually it suited me perfectly.

[​IMG]

That's what originally attracted me to it. It soon turned into my # 1. It suited my style perfectly. The neck, much larger than I expected it to be, fit my hand like a glove. A super soft, slightly off set V, that measures at around 860 at the nut. Off the top of my head I don't remember what it tapers to.

What I noticed after the graphic was that it seemed to use some really top quality lumber. The figure on the mahogany back was real nice and under the graphic you could see the maple top peaking thru. Gotta love it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So time goes by, I eventually start to grow weary of the finish. I try sell it. Luckily I get no takers. I have a brain storm. I'll strip it and refinish it myself. How hard could it be. I mean when I routed my JR 90 for a humbucker it came out flawlessly.

[​IMG]

So I use my skills on the intrawebs and research the best way to strip a poly finish. Or at least what I think is a poly finish. So after an exhaustive 15 minutes, basically what I'm hearing is a heat gun is the way to go. So without haste I run out and buy the bestest's, most strongerest chemical paint remover I can find. The directions say it should start working in like 15 to 20 minutes. CAUTION : blindnesss, death, respiratory problems, leperacy and death may occur use in a well ventilated area. I set up my work space in my windowless 5 ' x 5 ' laundry room in my basement. Check. Good to go. I slather this **** all over the front of the guitar. Wait twenty minutes and then remove it. Nothing. Looks good as new. I repeat the process and nothing. I grab a metal type putty thing and start hacking at the finish. When my well trained eyes tell me the finish is sufficiently chipped , dinged and gouged I start the slathering process all over again. 20 minutes later I'm scraping. Almost nothing comes of. I decide to leave it alone for awhile and check on it the next day. Low and behold after like 24 hours of this stuff sitting on the top of the G4 the finish starts coming off. It's actually starting to look pretty good. Theres a surprising amount of flame on the top. But that doesn't really matter because I think I'm gonna finish it in a solid color anyway. That or have my son's girlfriend repaint some other kind of graphic on it. Maybe inspired by the artwork on some of Creston' s guitars. Unfortunately I had no camera during this whole process so no pics.

Just where does Josh from Protocaster guitars come into play. I had contacted him months before this in the hopes he would be able to help me on some other projects. We never discussed them in depth, put he expressed interest in hearing about them and I filed his # away. These projects have yet to come to fruition. Maybe some other time. Anyway, I can't decide what type of graphic I want on the G4, and i'm to chicken to do the refine myself, and I gotta tell ya, I'm REALLY REALLY glad I chickened out. I decide to give Josh a call. The next day, he's at my place. We talk shop for about an hour.
    He listened very intently to my ideas, and wasn't hesitant in letting me know he didn't think some of them would not work. Since he also carves his own necks he agreed to roll the fingerboard edges for me. He leaves with some parts in tow. A few weeks go by. I sent him an e mail, he let's me know things are looking good and on schedule. Very pleased to hear this. Just the other day, I see he's posted some news about his own guitars. I casually respond how i'm particularly drawn to one. I get a pm back today. It turns out it never came up what my screen name was on TGP. He didn't know it was me till I responded to his PM.

Why am I telling you all this. Because when he realized it was me he sent me these progress pics on the G4. He's ****in killin it.
    One more before pic just for comparison
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

3. fenderball

fenderball Supporting Member

awesome! i remember that guitar when it was for sale...if it looked like what it's gonna look like, i would have grabbed it! great story! enjoy!

4. prsflame

prsflame Member

Wow! I think it looks amazing now. I remember that guitar too! Enjoy it.:D

5. Ed Alvarado

Ed Alvarado Member

That just looks awesome!

6. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

7. Nada

Nada Member

holy crap~ that's an amazing transformation! talk about a sleeper top...

8. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

I'll bet it sells now LOLOLOLOL!

9. MOJO

MOJO Member

Hard to believe Dave painted over a top like that ( although it tells ya what great wood he usually has in stock ) on the flip side I always kinda liked that vampire skull Graphic too...

10. scott

scott Member

I'm I going to be the only one who asks wtf did you do to that junior 90?
    The mcnaught looks great btw

11. Down and Out in NYC

Ha. Definitely not the intent of thread although stranger things have happened.

Could never figure out how to quote multiple responses in a thread.

Mojo

I thought the same exact thing once I got a look at it. Killer lumber. And one of the better playing and sounding guits I've owned. Someday, hopefully in the not to distant future I'll have a second Mcnaught.

I also think Josh did a really great job on the refin. I didn't expect it to pop as much as it did. I thought about having the other dave do it. Never contacted him though. I really liked the idea of having the work done local. If the rest of the job comes out looking as good as this does, I'm thinking I'll have to check out at least one of Josh's builds.

Scott

Misdirected Anger. Frustration. Lack of ability. Off my meds. Take your pick.
    Might as well give props to Ron too. He went above and beyond the call of duty in fixing it. Best customer service I've received anywhere, EVER. I wish I had a pick of the repair underneath. So clean. One of the few guitars I actually miss.

[​IMG][/IMG]

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  12. diego

diego Member

Wow... keep the pix coming...

13. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

:agree

14. magnus02

magnus02 Member

you have some balls to do what you did to either guitar haha...

looks like it worked out in both cases in the end luckily!!

15. Groveness

Groveness Silver Supporting Member

Southern transplant based in Brooklyn, NY
    I hadn't seen a before picture of the McNaught body, Down and Out, and wow you were not kidding about a sleeper top!! You've got to have an enormous amount of experience with fine wood to to even consider anything other than a translucent finish over that. I don't know very much about McNaught guitars, but I suspect he must be pegging pretty hard on the lumber god meter, heh heh.

16. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

First of all, great transformation. As stunning as the art was, it isn't for all people and the refin looks fantastic.

As far as quoting a bunch of people, just click on the the little " " next to the "quote" word at the bottom of each persons post. Hit all the " " that you want to quote before you even hit the "post reply" and type your response. Then you can address it each of them. After you address them all, then hit the "submit reply". Hope that makes sense.

17. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Josh is the man! That came out great!!

18. Groveness

Groveness Silver Supporting Member

Southern transplant based in Brooklyn, NY
    Doug, if I could figure out how to mail a hug, you would be expecting a package very soon.

19. dougk

dougk Silver Supporting Member

Beer is mailable ;)

BTW dude, you always shoot just fantastic bursts.

20. Down and Out in NYC

Josh

I was waiting for you stumble on this thread, knowing you never saw the before pics. The bursts you've done on your own guits looked killer. That was the main reason I wanted you to do the refin. You didn't disappoint. I didn't envision the refin looking that good in my vividest dreams. You really made that sucker pop.
    Props where props are do.

You killed it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012