ProTone New BoomBox Clean Boost Pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by 58lespaulman, Sep 10, 2005.

1. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I finally received my Protone BoomBox clean boost pedal from ProTone, and it is what I've been looking for for a long time.. Controls are Bass, Treble, Mid, And Vloume, and there is a toggle switch to select the mid shift.. I'm going to let Dennis from ProTone pedals to tell you about this pedal, because this pedal does things that no other pedal that I've tried will do.. I stepped out and bought BoomBox 002, and I am so glad I did. With the toggle and mid control you can get marshall, Vox, and Fender black face sounds with this pedal.. It is really unbelievable.. To everybody that wants a clean boost with a Mid control, that can help your fender sound like a Marshall or a Vox, or a marshall sound like a fender or a Vox, or whatever, please buy this pedal.. Dennis is a true visionary in pedal making...

2. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Holy **** this pedal is amazing!! This pedal can also do the very light overdrive sounds also.. It just has one of those tone's that as soon as you hear it, you know it's good.. I also was able to put this pedal side by side with my Klon, and pretty much with ease replicated the sound of the Klon's clean boost.. It's crazy because the mid control can act as a second gain if the bass and treble are completly down.. I ran this pedal into a Blackface Fender, and midshift switch in the up possition, you get the Marshall plexi sound to the tee.. Thats what this pedal is built around, being able to shape the sound of a certain amp to sound like a Marshall, Vox, or a Fender.. WOW!!

3. AFCA

AFCA Guest

Sounds very interesting!
    What do you think about running this pedal in front of an JCM800?

4. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Thats what my main amp is on stage, and we use Marshall JCM800 on our First (WET ANIMAL) CD thats comming out OCT 25th.. I have been playing through the Blackface and the JCM today and it just makes everything sound better, and you have complete control over the EQ with this pedal.. I was just saying that this pedal just might replace my Klon for being out on the road, it is that good... I can send anybody a pic that wants to see it.. Go to our website and you can hear our main guitar tones with the Marshalls..

Shane
    WET ANIMAL
    http://www.wetanimal.net

5. Marcello

Marcello Member

sounds good, seems like cool pedals !

6. ProTonePedals

ProTonePedals Member

Heres a REALLY quick and dirty sound sample.

Stuff used- Ibanez Talman with Kent Armstrong lipsticks and a Gibson Goldtone GA15 amp

www.ProTonePedals.com/BoomBox.mp3

I'll post some details a little later.

With gratitude,

Dennis

7. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Hi Dennis, I love the BB.. But can you give us the lowdown on how all the controls work, and where flat EQ boost and other things work on the BoomBox.. Where do you set it when you do them clips? Anyway I have found that this pedal can pretty much hit any sound I want.. I also noticed that once the volume is past two oclock you start to get a very nice mild overdrive..

8. ProTonePedals

ProTonePedals Member

Sadly enough I DID NOT document my sample recording, so I cant recall what I had them set to for the clean samples... BUT the knobs are still set to what I used for the dirty samples.
    HI: 12:15 ish
    Mid: 1:00
    Bass: 2:45
    Vol: 10:00
    From there I cycled the Mid Shift in and out.

Flat EQ:
    For a flat EQ setting put both the Bass and Lo to minimum, and the Mid straight up the middle. Switching the mids should produce little to no effect when the knobs are in this setting.

As you've already discovered when the Bass and Hi are fully cut, the Mid knob acts as something of a volume control. That's characteristic of Fenders tonestacks.

Getting familiar amp responses-
    To get the Fenderesque tones, set the Mid-Shift to the low setting. The controls will act (more or less) as a Fender tonestack.
    To get a Marshally tone, kick the Mid-Shift to hi. The Mid control will sound closest to the Marshall sound between 12:00 and 5:00. The Bass and Hi controls will act as a Marshall tonestack... again, more or less.
    And for the brit-pop jangle of the Voxy tones, set the Mid-Shift in hi, set the Mid control around 10:00 and squash that Bass. You'll get some great brit tones between 7:00 and 12:00.

That about covers it.

Heres a really bad photo:
    [​IMG]
    Plug in, count to 4, and have fun!

Dennis

9. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Guys I really am impressed again with my Boombox.. Dennis if you see this I need you to call me.. Email me, and I'll give you my number...This thing is one of the most versitile pedals I've ever heard, and this one will nail the Klon clean boost sound.. Hear is how it works, I keep the toggle in the up position because I'm a Marshall kind of guy.. When you have the Bass, and treble, all the way down, and the mids around noon, you have a perfect clean boost pedal that does not color your sound.. Then the real fun starts when you crank the mids up to about 3:00 oclock, and if you want to add some bass, and treble just bump them up just a little, then crank the volume at 12:00 or higher for best results.. This pedal is amazing, and I have been trying all these clean boost pedals, and have not been playing this pedal untill tonight.. I compaired it side by side with the Sexdrive, and my Boostier, and the BoomBox is a little thicker and more natural sounding.. Thats another thing, the ever so slight grit it does have is soo cool, it sounds just like the best grit you've ever heard, and makes your guitar sing.. I still love my Boostier but this BoomBox is got the goods, and has Bass, Mids, And treble, to be able to get any sound you want.. Then you have the toggle down switch which is Fender style sounds, SRV.. WOW!!

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL

10. ProTonePedals

ProTonePedals Member

11. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Way to go Dennis.. The BoomBox is a tone shaping boost pedal that sounds so good, and you have a mid control.. I have the #2 prototype.

12. Yek

Yek Member

Hmmm, seems like there's some major "pluggin'" going on here ...

13. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

What the hell does that mean? If it's what I'm thinking, your very wrong!!

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL

14. trucks

trucks Member

Nice. Cool use of the controls to mimic various tonestacks. The clips sound like things fatten up nicely. Picture and price on the website are pretty nice, too! :dude

Shane, nice to see someone so excited about a pedal. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. pm sent with a couple questions.

15. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

I love three pedals right now, one being the BoomBox, one being the Burriss Boostier, and my trusty Menatone Red Snapper, oh and I forgot there is a fourth, my Boss GE-7 EQ which is one of the most important pedals in my band (Wet Animal), I also love my new cry baby classic Fassel.. Now Let me tell you, I have bought and sold all the most exspensive overdrives and boosts, and have stayed with Boss EQ, Red Snapper, BoomBox, and Burris Boostier. The BoomBox will do the Klon's clean boost side, it doesn't have the overdrive the Klon has, and the Burriss Boostier will do the Klon's clean boost also. The thing I like about the BoomBox is the EQ, and it works like and amp, this pedal will make you happy I think, but everybody is different. But I garrenty you will love how natural it sounds, and it has that good sounding breakup when it does distort. The Mid control is Godsent, and I love that you can add bass or treble as needed, and they all work as discribed. It can help your Fender sound more Marshally, and vice versa.. IT's one of the most wonderfull pedals I've got to play through. I had two different Klon's , and Landgraff DO, all the most expensive Vibe pedals, (which I stayed with the KR Megavibe) and these are the pedals that get me through WET ANIMAL gigs.. I also started using the Boss Acoustic Simulater for our acoustic bassed songs, and it is wonderful, you would not believe that this pedal will make your electric guitar sound acoustic.. Anyway I love this stuff, and I hoped I helped, Oh also I have the proto type which is not painted, so you would be getting a nicer one than me, even though I am buying another one from Dennis. Later brother, and please check out WET ANIMAL when you get the chance, we are a new signed band and were starting out from ground zero, we need all the help in the world to help launch.. There is nothing that I'm more passionate about then music, Keep Jammin.

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL

16. ProTonePedals

ProTonePedals Member

Thanks for the continued support Shane- I appreciate it.
    Its a shame some folks are suspicious of high praise given to a new product by a new builder.

Whenever you can live without your Boom Box, let me know. I want to arrange to have you send it in so I can get it painted and do a small mod to it. I want to bring it up to the production specs.

With gratitude,

Dennis

17. 58lespaulman

58lespaulman Member

Thank you Dennis, I will get it right out to ya after we play New York.. Can you email me your address again? I cannot wait to get the new paint and mode. If you can, put in the email what the small mode consist of? Once again thanks. I love this stuff!!

Shane Pasqualla
    WET ANIMAL

18. dave s

dave s Member

Dennis:

thanks for the link to your website. What is your current order-to-delivery cycle time on the boombox? And will you charge a customer at order, or at time of shipment?

dave s

19. ProTonePedals

ProTonePedals Member

Order to sihp time is 2-3 days sometimes longer, usually shorter.
    With the quick turn around, everything is paid for at time of order.

This is bordering on spam, so if you need any more info drop me a PM or an Email.

Thanks!

Dennis

20. kramr

kramr Guest

I have my suspicions too. You are more than likely using someone else's circuit for your boom box. The semblance is uncanny.
    http://www.runoffgroove.com/tonemender.html

I built one of these in an evening for $20 last summer, midshift and all (you're charging $150). It does sound great and I'm grateful to runoffgroove for the scheme and layout.

Runoffgroove.com, Tonepad.com, generalguitargadgets.com, and others all provide great circuits (schemes, layouts, parts lists, everything you need, folks) for the DIYer. The problem is that they don't want people profiting from that which they provide for free to the public. What I suspect you did is becoming commonplace for many "builders", and some designers are becoming hesitant to share their schemes and layouts with others because of actions like yours. And that is a real shame!