ProTools Metronome Help

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by Ozro4, Feb 4, 2008.

1. Ozro4

Ozro4 Member

I just got Pro Tools M-Powered and I've done a little bit of experimentation with it now. Buy yesterday, the click stopped playing. I feel like I've checked everything (YES, the "click" is checked in the options menu - I'm not THAT dumb), but I can't figure it out. Does anyone else know why the click might not be playing?

Any help is great.

Thanks

2. chrisgraff

chrisgraff Member

The way I setup a metronome is to open a click plugin on a mono track. If that's the way you're doing it, check to make sure the output of that track is correct.

3. MichaelK

MichaelK Member

I've found the easiest way to use a click track in PT is to forget MIDI and plug-ins entirely and just create an audio track.

I have two 24-bit click samples that I've used for years, simple clave beats, one for the downbeat and one for upbeats. The first thing I do in every session is import/copy those samples into the session. Then I go into grid mode, quarter notes, and drag them into place in the first measure. Then I make the grid full measures. I highlight the first bar and duplicate it (command-D) three times. Then I highlight that 4-bar section and duplicate it three times. Then I highlight those 16 bars and hit "command-D" a few more times to fill out the rest of the song and beyond.

Sounds complicated but it takes less than 2 minutes, uses almost no processing power, and I never have to think about the click track again. Every time I open the session, even if I take it to another studio, my click is right there with no setup at all.