Provalve update...how do ya'll like it now...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by imguitardan, Sep 27, 2008.

1. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

...that you've had some time to play with it? How's the low end? I'm looking to do Townshend (ala '69) and AC/DC rhythm tones...will this do that? I've had a BoR, Hotcake, PP100, KoTB and other amp in a box pedals and been unimpressed (for my needs) with them. Looking for good, tight, natural rhythm tones. Thanks

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

It is a great pedal. I think you'd be happy. I just wish the gain were more dialable, but tonally it's amazing. It is something you need to play LOUD tho', not a bedroom pedal at all.

3. Burgs

Burgs Member

It definitely is not a bedroom pedal, that's for sure. I used it today at a large outdoor gig through a Twin with a Strat and it kicked. I'm not sure it would deliver the AC/DC tones you're after though. It's a little more 'modern' sounding than that and not as smooth. The tone has to be dialled at around 7pm to shave off the top end. That was Sean's recommendation to me and I have to agree. It may be a little too high gain for your 70's rawk tones but I must admit that I haven't tried to extract these from it. It certainly cuts through on stage though, and that's the main thing. I wind the volume down lots and ride the ProValve's channels - one at 9pm and the other dimed. Great stuff.

4. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

hey imguitardan, I saw your post about the Dyna Red... I understand your concern. I have to say that I think all pedals, no matter what, sound like pedals. Even the best ones like the DRD still sound like "a pedal". Although I do think the DRD is the best I've come across.

That said, I like the "pedal into a clean amp sound". It's something I've come to embrace actually. Remember that a pedal is also technically an "amplifier". The transistors, opamps and diodes simply do the same thing the tubes do, just at lower voltage levels.

Also, since you really dig the Eternity (still my favorite pedal after 3.5 yrs) anothe pedal built by Sean might be the ticket. I have to say, the ProValve has me :drool

5. imguitardan

imguitardan Member

Hey Aaron,
    Thanks for all your help on the DRD. How do you compare the Provalve to the DRD?

6. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

Sorry man, I didn't make it clear... I've not played through the Pro Valve. I'm simply making an assumption you'd dig it since you dig the Eternity. I know they're completly different, but I've dug all of Sean's pedals. They have his stamp on them, right. I'm also just saying, I'm really wanting to check one out.

7. RickB

RickB Member

I'm digging it more and more. I run mine the same way that Burger above does except I set my tone control a bit brighter. I am running mine through a Blues Jr. and have no complaints at all. 9:00 on gain A gives me a nice plexi sound and cranked on gain B gives me a nice modern, high gain sound. Plenty of differences between the two in terms of feel and sound. Overall, it has given me everything I was looking for in a high gain pedal and I like that I have two different gain settings to switch between instead of just having a built in boost.

8. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Question - do any of you guys find your ProValve to be usually noisy? Almost like playing a P90-noisy?

9. RickB

RickB Member

I don't find mine to be that noisy at all really given the amount of gain it produces.

10. iggs

iggs Member

I haven't played mine at full out live volume yet but attenuated it sounds pretty good. I'm just disappointed that it's not 2-different-pedals-in-one where channel A is like a PP100 or Eternity and channel B is like a PP800 (for example).

That's what I was hoping for ... to be able to set two completely different gain levels and switch between the two. The gain levels on A and B are identical and both are already very gainy even at lowest setting so it's hard to set them far appart.

And no, I don't want to play with my guitar volume ... I do that by choice not because "I don't know how" ... gotta say it before someone jumps my throat and says I can't play because I don't use volume on my guitar. I like my volume full up and setting the pedal/amp where I want it to be.