providence anadime adc4 chorus

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by paulikus, Mar 28, 2015.

1. paulikus

paulikus Member

Any love for the Providence Anadime ADC4 chorus pedal? Is it too metallic? Can it go from mild to wild? Is it somewhat versatile? Any tone suck? Any leslie sounds?

2. ashbournemelody

ashbournemelody Member

Amazing pedal. All the above and a favourite of lukather. Providence are under rated here.

3. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

Great little chorus. the blend knob is a great addition from the previous version.

4. paulikus

paulikus Member

And you own this pedal?

5. jnepo1

Yes, if you are refering to me. I wouldn't post a comment if I didn't. I actually modded mine to accept an expression pedal to alter the depth on the fly.

6. dpgreek

dpgreek Supporting Member

Yeah providence has great stuff. I had their chrono delay... Sold for empress tape and now am back on chrono. The anadime sounds awesome but its pricey. I think thats why it doesnt get as much love

7. paulikus

paulikus Member

Cool. As long as it's fat sounding. Looking to replace my vfe choral reef as it sounds much too thin for me. Not easy to dial in good sounds and also noisey when toggle switch is in left or right position. Hoping the adc4 is more robust sounding.

8. 7thString

7thString Member

hmm if you're after fat sounding, in my honest opinion it is not. ADC4 is very transparent, does a great vibrato and subtle to deep chorus but doesn't fatten like a CE-2. (I have A/B'd them). CE-2 seems to cut highs and boost slightly (or just add mids) which makes it sound fat. The ADC-4 was more transparent in that it didn't do this, it just added a very nice lush chorus to the original tone, blended well with no audible eq change. Its a great pedal nonethless.

9. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

It's a high quality chorus, but it's too metallic sounding for me. The tone is quite 3D sounding though. I wish they added a tone control instead of a mix control.

10. ashbournemelody

ashbournemelody Member

If you were referring to me.. Yes. Had it. Sold it. Regret it a bit actually. But for a different style of unit: a mobius. The Anadime is the best standalone chorus I have ever used. A wonderful pedal. My old board: [​IMG]

11. paulikus

paulikus Member

Picuture below is the adc3 not adc4. 4 has the mix knob.

12. ashbournemelody

ashbournemelody Member

yep. But my comments still stand.

13. mad mat

mad mat Member

My providence chorus is the most fat sounding chorus ever.

14. petty1818

petty1818 Member

The Anadime is definitely on my "must try" list. Just wondering if anyone has compared it to the Catalinbread Callisto or Cosmichorus?

15. paulikus

paulikus Member

Mad mat: re: the adc4 being a "fat" chorus, what are you comparing it to?

16. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Speaking about "fatness": I had both the providence adc3 and a Tortuga Martini. I kept the martini, I would describe it as "fatter" than the providence.

17. paulikus

paulikus Member

My problem is I need a small box on my crowded pedal board. Heard lots of good stuff on the Martini but too big.

18. jnepo1

Aside from the Providence, look into the Valbruch chorus in the same footprint as the Providence. Pedalshark.com sells them as well as the Providence.

19. Holzar88

Holzar88 Silver Supporting Member

FWIW, I've got a V2 Cosmichorus and the original Anadime without the mix knob. They're my favorite two choruses. I realize they're not the latest versions of each, but I'd say they compliment each other. The Anadime does that '80s chorus thing superbly. The Cosmichorus gives you a lot more control, including the ability to create a really subtle, slow, almost imperceptible chorus--something the Anadime can't quite do. Both are great pedals. If I could only keep one, I'd probably keep the Cosmichorus ... but it's obviously a much bigger footprint.

The thing about the Anadime (even the older version) is that it doesn't give me any weird EQ or volume jumps, which is a problem with so many other chorus pedals I've tried. Definitely a stellar chorus, and I can only imagine it's more versatile with the new mix control. Someday when i win the lottery, I'll upgrade to the newer versions of each pedal.

20. paulikus

paulikus Member

Well, I just bought and recieved the Anadime ADC-4. Played it once the other day and today , for much more time. My thoughts at this point:

The Good: High quality sound w/chewy mojo. Not thin/metallic sounding. Analog! Nice build quality. Knobs move nicely. 3 way deep switch is a very nice feature - from mild to possiby sea-sick in 3rd {top} position. Very nice range/flexibility. Doesn't kill my natural guitar tone when bypassed. It sounds great with mild and extreme distortion, reverb or TimeFactor delay, envelope, Wah or Whammy. Takes up little room on my crowded pedal board.

The Not-So-Good: Mix knob is not as functional/dramatic as I would hope (compared to my DLS Chorus-Vib pedal which is much more powerful). I feel the amount of actual change in the balance of dry vs. wet is hardly noticable. That's disappointing.
    There is a very quiet spinning helicopter sound when the effect is turned on, often heard with flangers...though, once you turn on other effects (like dirt) it's hardly there.

Sooo.. will I keep it or send it back? Great chorus sound. Biggest concern I have with keeping it is the Mix control - I was really hoping for much more dry/wet variabilty from this. the noise issue, I might be able to live with. I was also hoping there might be some good faux Leslie sounds in this, but not so much.

So, all this said; How is the mix control on the Callisto? Does the Callisto have some goodness that the Anadime does not? Could it be something for me to A/B with? Have 14 days (less now) to return the Anadime for full refund.