• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Providence chrono delay review

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
I received this pedal last week.

The good stuff:

Pedal is relatively small, with top jacks it can fit on a board easily.

Build quality looks great, with a tough finish, positive feeling knobs, and stepped delay control for accurate times and easy repeatability.

The delay subdivisions are numerous and very accurate/precise.

The pedal is quiet, no pops or clicks, no hiss.

The buffer is downright fantastic, very good bypassed tone, and when engaged the dry signal is unaltered.

The actual sound of the delay is very very good. It does have the timbre of a great studio digital delay. The hardness control is nice and subtle.

A big one for me - a true millisecond or bpm readout that is always on and precise.

The criticisms:

I was bummed to find out that the "pre-sets" are really not full pre-sets. The presets are only the delay TIME, nothing else.
For example, if you want a nice smooth echo at 350-400 ms, with about 2-3 repeats, wet mix fairly low, and the high end tapered a bit, you can get that. BUT, saving the setting ONLY saves the time. That's it. No saving of the mix, hardness, feedback,etc.
I personally would like to be able to switch between that and have preset B set as a slapback with a slightly higher mix, less roll-off, only one repeat.

It can't be done! When you switch presets it only saves the time setting.

Second observation - although not a major issue, the mix knob is very very subtle. On a gig I can't hear any repeats (even a little bit) until the mix is well past noon. It is nice to not have it get too wet really fast, but I find the taper really slow.

Overall a high quality pedal, great controls and sound, but the preset thing was a real big disappointment for me.

If they could make the presets true presets it would be perfect.

Thanks for the review. Sounds like a lot of good, but for that price, it'd be nice to see less of the bad. :)

Once thing I think is kind of funny about people is that there'd probably be less of a fuss about it not doing presets at all (even at that price point) than doing them half-heartedly.

A funny lot, us.

fromdecay

Once thing I think is kind of funny about people is that there'd probably be less of a fuss about it not doing presets at all (even at that price point) than doing them half-heartedly.

A funny lot, us.
Agreed. Their previous delay didn't have presets. Now it has preset delay time. Baby steps in the right direction. A positive on all accounts imo, but I guess when compared to similarly priced digital delays it does leave a bit of a sour taste. Then again, people bought the previous, almost bare bones delay 80s just for its sound alone.

100JH

I have a really nice DMM, a Skreddy Echo and a T-Rex Replica. I am thinking about the chrono delay. Any comparisons between the three above, esp. the T-Rex? I was thinking about getting the Chrono to replace the T-Rex, but at 4 bills its a hard pedal to "test out". Thanks in advance.

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
It is a very nice sounding delay, I just felt a little duped with the "preset" function. It really isn't much of a preset at all for my needs. Without the ability to program the feedback, mix, subdivision, and timbre, it really renders the preset mode worthless.

mattmccloskey

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks for the review. Sounds like a lot of good, but for that price, it'd be nice to see less of the bad. :)

A funny lot, us.
Well, to be honest, I probably would not have bought it if I didn't think the presets were honest presets.

Rick Towne

Praise & Western
Gold Supporting Member
Well, to be honest, I probably would not have bought it if I didn't think the presets were honest presets.
I'm glad I found this old thread, as I'm going to pass on a used one for just this reason. I would think any seller would point out this limitation.

Michael_V

Silver Supporting Member
Good review. I owned a Chrono for a little while. Nice delay but honestly didn't do anything I couldn't get from a Boss DD-X for a fraction of the price. Plus the Boss has reverse delay while the Chrono doesn't. I sold mine and went back to the DD-5.

Edit: just noticed the original thread is six years old. Geez.

VHS analog

The
I received this pedal last week.

The good stuff:

Pedal is relatively small, with top jacks it can fit on a board easily.

Build quality looks great, with a tough finish, positive feeling knobs, and stepped delay control for accurate times and easy repeatability.

The delay subdivisions are numerous and very accurate/precise.

The pedal is quiet, no pops or clicks, no hiss.

The buffer is downright fantastic, very good bypassed tone, and when engaged the dry signal is unaltered.

The actual sound of the delay is very very good. It does have the timbre of a great studio digital delay. The hardness control is nice and subtle.

A big one for me - a true millisecond or bpm readout that is always on and precise.

The criticisms:

I was bummed to find out that the "pre-sets" are really not full pre-sets. The presets are only the delay TIME, nothing else.
For example, if you want a nice smooth echo at 350-400 ms, with about 2-3 repeats, wet mix fairly low, and the high end tapered a bit, you can get that. BUT, saving the setting ONLY saves the time. That's it. No saving of the mix, hardness, feedback,etc.
I personally would like to be able to switch between that and have preset B set as a slapback with a slightly higher mix, less roll-off, only one repeat.

It can't be done! When you switch presets it only saves the time setting.

Second observation - although not a major issue, the mix knob is very very subtle. On a gig I can't hear any repeats (even a little bit) until the mix is well past noon. It is nice to not have it get too wet really fast, but I find the taper really slow.

Overall a high quality pedal, great controls and sound, but the preset thing was a real big disappointment for me.

If they could make the presets true presets it would be perfect.
The TC Nova delay presets give the same problem. The mix control is global, unfortunately.

Top Bottom