Providence Delay 80

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by bobbtoz, Dec 20, 2009.

1. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

Santa is bringing me one for Christmas. Anyone have this pedal? The clips I've heard sound great. I'd like to get some feedback on this pedal.

2. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Member

I would definitely recommend searching the forums on this one. There are several great threads out there that detail it.

In a nutshell, I believe this is the best non-modulated digital delay on the market.

3. bobbtoz

bobbtoz Silver Supporting Member

Anyone have any input on this pedal. I already went through the previous threads, was hoping some new info is out their.

4. fusionbear

fusionbear exquirentibus veritatem Gold Supporting Member

I own one. It is supposedly based on a Cornish delay. It is amazing sounding, but the US rep told me they are going to discontinue it due to the chips it uses no longer being available. Their next delay is going to be digital. So, if you see one, snag it!

The only delay that comes close IMO is the Analogman ARDX2

5. memberzonly

memberzonly Supporting Member

Is it compatible in a line-level effects loop?

6. NeilYoungFan

NeilYoungFan Supporting Member

I recently got one and loved it so much that I sold the delays I had (Replica, AD999 and CC) and now I have it on both my boards! The "Echo hardness" knob is a unique feature I've never found in any other delay. It is supposed to be a tone/mids control for the repeats. Turning it CCW makes the repeats warm, dark and fading just like the ones we love in analog delays. CW it gets the pristine, clear repeats digital ones are known for.

I always had issues with delays : tone coloration (getting brighter or darker), volume jump, getting lost when used with distortion, etc. I finally found what I've always wanted in the Providence!

When purchasing my units, the European distributor told me they only had a couple left, since it is indeed going to be discontinued, due to lack of some components. They said a new one is supposed to be introduced in 2010, but it will certainly be a bit different, due to new components. Since I liked the current model so much, I decided to go with that and not wait for the new one. I'm glad I did...

Congrats on your new pedal. I'm sure you're gonna love it!

7. NewarkWilder

NewarkWilder Member

I have one, and absolutely love it. I jumped on it too when I heard the new ones wouldn't be using the same chips--very glad I did. From slapback to subtle lead-line fattening to full on ambient soundscapes--it does it all and sounds absolutely pristine.

8. wolfpack

wolfpack Supporting Member

+1

:love: mine

9. Derelict King

Derelict King Member

I know Tone Giant has 1 left in stock...last one of the old ones...someone better snatch that bitch up quick!

DK

10. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

I have a delay '80: the dynamic of this pedal is stunning, and the echo hardness control is fantastic: can really go from dark and subtle to pristine and sparkly.

I'm not an expert on delays, but I never played one that *feels* so good.

11. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

How much delay time is available with the Delay 80?

Ed

12. NeilYoungFan

25-2048ms

13. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Thanks!So 2048 ms?I was thinking that the Delay 80 was analog.Btw,is the discontinued chip the same one used in those '80s ADA and DeltaLab rack delays?

Ed

14. NeilYoungFan

Check their site :
    http://www.providence.jp/providence_e/fx_series/fx_2.html

they state that : "The digital circuit of the DELAY 80's is used only to delay the sound. All other sound processing is done by analog circuitry", whatever that means about it. To be honest I don't really care whether it is digital or analog, since it is the best delay I've ever used and that's enough for me.

Sorry, don't know about the chip, though.

15. memberzonly

Is it compatible in a line-level effects loop?

16. fuzzfoot

fuzzfoot Member

FYI, I would grab the Delay 80's as it appears the new Providence Delay may be a much 'cheaper' version:

http://www.providence.jp/providence_e/tgd/tgd.html

"The line up will include such effects as distortion, overdrive, compressor and delay pedals."

I'm sure it will sound good, but I find it hard to believe they can replicate or beat the 80s with this new line.

17. NeilYoungFan

I hadn't noticed that. I'm so glad I got mine!

18. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Yeah,I wanna' know,as well.Heck,does it work well through any effects loop [0dB/+4dB/-10dB]?How about with lots of gain in a loop?

:confused:

Ed

19. memberzonly

Hey Ed,

I have mine running through the Mesa Stiletto Ace loop. AFAIK, that loop is line-level with an adjustable level control. When I ran the amp level control halfway, I was getting artifacts(noise) in the delayed repeats. I rolled down the level knob on the delay and the level knob on the amp. Works much better now and the repeats sit nicely in the mix.

Hope this helps.

20. lv

lv Supporting Member

Couple thoughts, having owned the Delay 80's, as well as the Cornish. I've also owned a few other units. I think it is a very nice delay, but I bought two and sold both (one to Fuzzfoot :) ) and while I do think it is closer to the TES than other units, I preferred the Moollon, and the Empress Vintage Modded Superdelay. Both of those units can do similar non-modulated delays, but have many more features.

Nice unit, but imo not any kind of holy grail box. I sold my TES too, another great one but only does a couple things, though it does them very well, but a lot of $ for those few special things.

I also wonder if the Moollon's chip is somehow based on that old DD-2 chip, when you open one up it is a huge chip about the same size as the DD-2/TES chip. The moollon also does something that Delay 80's doesn't - the tone knob can get it down to being just as dark as the TES, whilst having more mix than the Delay 80's.

Fuzzfoot, I'm going on memory, is the above statement accurate?