Providence PEC-2 vs Moen GEC9

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by RandallFloyd, Feb 16, 2012.

1. RandallFloyd

RandallFloyd Member

Hi,
    These two switchers appear to be very similar, feature-wise. However, the price difference is dramatic- Providence is over 3x as much! I assume this is due to build quality.

Has anyone A/Bed these two, owned both, tried both, etc??

2. stilwel

stilwel Member

The Providence is also a MIDI controller capable of sending Program and Control Change messages to your midi enable pedals/devices. You can hook up an expression pedal to it so you can control parameters via MIDI as well.

The Musicomlab EFX MkIII is more similar to the Providence.

The Moen will only control it's own 9 loops/functions. But if that's all you need, I've heard positive reviews for it.

I just got a Musicomlab EFX MkII and I'm using it to control a bunch of dirt pedals as well as to send program changes to my Timeline Delay and M9.

3. SteveP

SteveP Member

MOEN DEC-9 Mini Review

I have been using this unit for about a month now with the following setup:
    NonBuffered IN
    MUTE/CLEAN OUT to Tuner
    Loop 1 -CMATMODS Deluxe Signa Comp and TC Corona chorus in series
    Loop 2-Timmy
    Loop 3-Wampler Paisley
    Loop 4-Wampler Euphoria
    Loop 5-Diamond Trem
    Loop 6- Vox ICE-9
    Loop 6 "out" to loop 7 "in" = Ernie Ball VP JR Volume
    Loop 7 - T-REX Yellow Drive Dist
    Loop 8 - Xotic RC Boost
    Loop 9 - TC Nova ib Delay and Strymon Blue Sky in series
    Out
    PedalTrain 3 fits everything just perfect. Cables can be a challenge (as with any looper)
    Fender 60th Cabronita or PRS Mccarty into Mesa Lonestar Special or Bogner Alchemist (re-tubed for lower front end gain)
    I have to use all the pedals into the the amp front end as the amp(s) are 75 feet offstage through a Radial SGX. Really a GREAT looper. Quiet, does not suck your tone and the programming is SUPER easy. Just press the pedals you want within a particular preset and it simply remembers them. No pressing "store"/etc. Another good thing is that when you BANK UP or BANK DOWN, the display flashes to let you know you are going to the bank of choice but does NOT time out. It simply waits for you to press any preset then switches to that preset within the new bank. Very usefull as often the transistions between songs at our mega church are <1 sec. So you can "preset" a bank change and as soon as the new song starts, just press a preset. (Lets you pull your capo, advance the delay and other things you need to do FAST). I use the banks for songs (A= song 1, B= song 2 etc). Great to be able to run stacked or singular OD's and all kind of combinations. Dancing is kept to a minimum. For the loops, you must decide the pedal order as they are essentially all in series. Measured supply current is 344ma max so for me, I have no high-current outlets left on the two Voodoo supplies (PPS-2 & ISO-5) that are board-mounted so for now, powering it with a One Spot (The Nova and Blue Sky chew up the higher current ouputs (9v(PPS-2)+12v(ISO-5)). Really a great looper at the best price I have seen out there ($299 Ebay).
    I would post a picture if I knew how...
    Recommended!!

4. x-ray specs

x-ray specs Member

Is the Dec-9 a newer moen unit? I don't see it on their site anywhere.

5. SteveP

SteveP Member

OOOPS.... GEC-9, So many numbers...so little memory...