Providing you don't lose it, how long does a plectrum last you?

How long does a plectrum usually last you?

• Forever

Votes: 145 64.4%
  • One year

Votes: 25 11.1%
  • 6 months

Votes: 42 18.7%
  • 5 minutes, I'm an animal

Votes: 13 5.8%

• Total voters

Dubious

I use Tortex and have many that are probably over 30 years old at this point.. they eventually turn into circles but I stil use em (allways use all three sides of the pick anyways)

Strummerfan

I use the fake tort ones by Dunlop. I use them until they get rounded out, and it takes a long, long time. I put a different one between the strings of each mode my guitars, so the wear gets spread out as well.

cap10kirk

The Dunlop Flow 420 is what I use most, and I haven't worn one out yet. I've worn out a couple 2mm Gator Grips, but I don't use them every day so it's hard to say how long they would last if it was all I used. Standard Tortex picks don't last long, I have worn new ones out in one gig.

Shnook

Silver Supporting Member
I have a fairly light touch and picks last pretty much forever for me. But let me clarify. I’m talking ‘normal picks.’ Like Fender Mediums and the Ultex picks. Back when I was using V Picks I wore those out in a matter or weeks. So glad to be off the ‘boutique pick train.’ The old standards work way better for me. And much cheaper.

CDP

I voted "Forever". I switched to V-Picks about a decade ago. The V-Pick "Snake" works best for me. I bought 6 of them assuming I'd eventually drop, misplace or wear them out. I still have all 6 and haven't even worn the 1st one out yet, and I can only remember dropping it once.

cram

I buy the dunlop yellow .73 picks.
I also keep my skin in an absolutely glistening state throughout the year via bert's bee's hand salve.
I only mention the solution by that quirky nut who sold his operation to live his remaining days in the same damn house he always lived in with only the comfort of knowing firmly he had no worries financially - I only mention Bert because I have those containers with picks in them.

I use those crappy yellow picks.
They get worn down.
When I'm bored; I will take them out of my spent Bert's hand salve container and sand them back into shape; since I do a lot of finish work in my shop I always have high grit wet/dry available.

I actually like the picks that I shape more than the new ones.

So to the OP Question -
A qualified for damn near EVER!

iSeamas

I hate when the pointed end gets word down.
I'll wear them down in a few hours of playing
I have a dish of picks by my guitars.
Once in a while I'll grab all the worn ones and take some sandpaper to them and re-point the tip.

j_el_jee

IMG_1897.jpg

I need the sharp point for accuracy, can't stand when it gets rounded down. I can get through a 30-40 minute set with one before it gets tossed into the "used" pile. I keep saying one of these days I'll put these rounded ones on the sander to get them back to sharp playing condition. Have been using the .60 Tortex for 35 years so that won't change... now I just get the pack of 72 and don't worry about it.

_fox_

Mine last for a long time, but I'll grab a new one when tip wear starts to make it feel less accurate or if the pick starts to feel too smooth/slick between my fingers.

That's just using ordinary Dunlop tortex and Fender mediums.

Fo0zle

Silver Supporting Member
I have one of the Gold Series Gravity picks at .75mm that I’ve been using exclusively for a few months. I had to file off the sharp contours once so far but it’s still very usable.

I’ll probably get a year out of it if I don’t lose it.

Tortex picks last me maybe a month before they start feeling clumsy and sounding thin.

I also use Fender Mediums sometimes. It feels like I barely get a week out of them but they sound great for a little while.

Neonborja

The Dunlop Ultrex last me for:

Couple of months playing at home
Couple of days playing at the rehearsal space
Couple of songs playing live

Dashface

I bought a gross (144) of custom Fender style picks with my name on them years ago and still have quite a few of them left.

The only time they'll get trashed is if I'm doing a lot of pick slides with them.

I’ve been using the Ultex 1.0 for years and I buy them by the gross…. But I buy them this way so if I drop one at a gig I never have to pick it up ha ha. I go through a gross about every two years.

Never really worn one out though.

smallbutmighty

I do my own stunts.
Totally depends on the pick and what it's made of.

I easily blow through a Fender Heavy in a single gig. It will be reduced to a fine dust the same color as the pick that collects under the strings.

A dunlop jazz III it will last for months/years.

Top Bottom