PRS 2-Channel H amp

EdMan57

Anyone play or have one of the new PRS/Sewell 2-Channel H amplifiers?I think that these clips with Nicky Moroch sound really sweet and have peaked my interest in possibly getting such.Anyone?

Ed

Halsey

Some people have the C amp on birdsandmoons, search "channel" there and you'll find some thoughts on those. They all dig em. Haven't seen anyone with an H amp there yet.

EdMan57

Some people have the C amp on birdsandmoons, search "channel" there and you'll find some thoughts on those. They all dig em. Haven't seen anyone with an H amp there yet.

Thanks for the reply and tip,Halsey!

Ed

pinner

Silver Supporting Member
Have not played through it but heard Nicky using it live with the sideguys and it sounded great!!! After the show, as well as this weekend Nicky didn't stop talking about it. I don't know but will guess the H might mean Heyboer transformer.

Here are some clips from the show:

Last edited:

Miles Long

Anyone play or have one of the new PRS/Sewell 2-Channel H amplifiers?I think that these clips with Nicky Moroch sound really sweet and have peaked my interest in possibly getting such.Anyone?

Ed
Sounds good! Is there much of a compromise on the clean channel with the C transformer?

Halsey

The C uses EL34's and is supposedly more vintage in tone. The H uses 6L6's and is voiced a bit more modern.

gman1951

Gold Supporting Member
I have had my "H" combo for about a month now. I have used it on three gigs and am very satisfied with its tone, flexibility, responsiveness, features, and power.

I am coming from an EVH 5150iii with an Avatar G212 Contemporary cabinet. At sixty years old this August (and yes, I STILL ROCK!!), I simply got tired of having to haul gear that is as big as I am. For about four years, I have been searching for a combo that could meet my tonal requirements, to no avail. When I saw the "H" demo from this year's NAMM, I was frankly blown away by the potential of this little, self-contained unit. It appeared to have all of the tonal characteristics I need in an amp, and IT IS A COMBO!!!

Well, I took a splurge, sold my old rig, and as a leap of faith, bought the "H" combo. I have done some modification to it; I replaced the stock Classic Lead 80 with a Scumback M75, and later this week I will be replacing the tubes with something a bit more refined. I must say, however, that it did sound great out of the box (just a bit too harsh for my taste).

Great amp, GAS is temporarily averted!!

EdMan57

Gman1951,does the amp sound at least decent at bedroom levels?I always find a good master volume a plus,as I probably play around 80% at home/casual jams,though I do gig out a handful of times a year.

Ed

franklsferd

I know this is an old thread, but what do you mean by more refined tubes, gman? These come with winged c 6l6s, and a decent well placed mix of preamps ranging from jjs to Tung Sols to Jan-Phillips at7s. I thought they were pretty damn good tubes, especially considering the head is under 2 gs. It is definitely quiet enough with the masters to play at bedroom volume. Actually, my only beef with it is that it seems too quiet to really be 50 watts. I played 3 gigs so far with mine and had to dime both channels to get over the drummer. I've played outdoor gigs with 20 watt amps next to the same drums/drummer and only had to use half of the volume knobs. But other than that, (and I was told by PRS you have to pretty much run the fx loop all the way up to get full power, which I wasn't doing) this amp is easily on my top 5 all-time list for clean AND gain. Top 2 all-time when price is a factor.

EdMan57

...It is definitely quiet enough with the masters to play at bedroom volume...But other than that, (and I was told by PRS you have to pretty much run the fx loop all the way up to get full power, which I wasn't doing) this amp is easily on my top 5 all-time list for clean AND gain. Top 2 all-time when price is a factor....

Thanks for the info,franklsferd!

Ed

MikeyG

Silver Supporting Member
I tried one this weekend. The OD side was very defined with great note separation. Very open sounding distortion. The cleans were ok, nothing to write home about.

franklsferd

I tried one this weekend. The OD side was very defined with great note separation. Very open sounding distortion. The cleans were ok, nothing to write home about.
The head I got was biased pretty cold, at 25mv, and when I called and asked why the head was so quiet for being a 50 watter they told me about running the fx loop wide open because it directly affects the output and tone even if you're not using it, and they sent me a whole re-tube set in case something happened during shipping involving the tubes that was causing it to be so quiet. They told me to set the bias at about 30mv, but that you could go as high as 40mv, per Doug Sewell. Playing with the fx loop levels and getting the bias set a little hotter changed the tone of both channels a lot. I love the clean now, whereas before it was kinda blah.

guitardr

A bump for the weekend crowd.

:dunno Anyone with a take or opinion?

Ed
Just picked up a rare combo version of the 2-Channel "H" amp: it covers territory that hints of my "old" Bogner Shiva, a touch of white-face Bassman, etc. Shimmering cleans that can morph into a bluesy grind, and the nasty channel picks up where the clean leaves off and goes deep into remarkable hairiness. Good loop with send/return controls & good verb. And the price made it very competitive too.

jimmybcool

Just picked up a rare combo version of the 2-Channel "H" amp: it covers territory that hints of my "old" Bogner Shiva, a touch of white-face Bassman, etc. Shimmering cleans that can morph into a bluesy grind, and the nasty channel picks up where the clean leaves off and goes deep into remarkable hairiness. Good loop with send/return controls & good verb. And the price made it very competitive too.
I like mine too. Nice cleans and serious dirt. I haven't cranked it up yet so no idea bout the issue mentioned by franklsferd. Mine seems plenty loud yet the master allows me to get any tone I want at any volume.

My only plaint is it seems a bit harsh in my room. It seemed less so in the store. I might try a different speaker.

And if anyone wants one and can't find them my dealer got a second one 3 days after he sold me his first one :beer

guitardr

I like mine too. Nice cleans and serious dirt. I haven't cranked it up yet so no idea bout the issue mentioned by franklsferd. Mine seems plenty loud yet the master allows me to get any tone I want at any volume.

My only plaint is it seems a bit harsh in my room. It seemed less so in the store. I might try a different speaker.

And if anyone wants one and can't find them my dealer got a second one 3 days after he sold me his first one :beer
With the sealed back on mine it has serious back pressure & lows, although one of the sales guys said it was "bright". It took on a massive and 3-D sound when running a Bogner 112 cube with it & an Avatar Premier 212 wit Celestion 80's.
Play with the tone controls & master to control whatever harsh tones you may think you have. It can achieve great distortion at low levels, and then it only gets more harmonic and vocal as you turn it up. BTW: let the speaker break in before swapping anything out. I called them about some sort of manual & specs too.:beer

John Price

Silver Supporting Member
Does anybody have experience with the PRS cabinets? I'm particularly interested in the 2x12 cab. Right now I have a mesa boogie 2x12 rectifier cab and not digging it with the 2 channel amp right now. I also run it through my Marshall 4x12 with tan backs and it kills!....
Thanks...

Trending Topics