prs 245 vs hamer monaco elite

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by tone4days, Feb 5, 2008.

1. tone4days

tone4days Member

hi folks
    thoughts on the relative +s and -s of these two guitars when compared head to head on aspects such as playability/feel, tone, quality, most-"LP like", etc

i have played a prs 245 (loved it yea and verily) but have not played a hamer

thanks
    t4d

2. ford

ford Supporting Member

I haven't played the PRS. I have played a couple of the Hamers and they are great guitars. The real deal. Great craftsmanship, tone and playability.

I'm not a big LP guy, but you can get tones in the same family for sure. Good luck on your tone search. You are looking at some very nice guitars and I'm sure you will come out the winner.

rock

bford

3. MetalHeadd

MetalHeadd Member

I don't think you could go wrong with either, both fantastic guitars. Play 'em both and see which one you like best.

4. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I'm a PRS owner/player..... And I'd have to say the Hamers are a guitar I checked out @ NAMM 08. ( I secretly want a pointy guitar....shhhh) The are great feeling/playing guitars I spent the better part of 5+ hours in their booth. Can't say one bad thing about them other than they didn't seem to bring as many guitars as I would have liked to see.

I just bought my 1st SC245 today.....but If I see a pointy Hamer out there.....it will be mine!!!!!!!:BEER

5. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

To me, the hamer feels more LPish than the PRS. Mostly due to the neckshape. The Hamer sounds a bit bigger to me through the whole tonal spectrum. Both are seriously nice guitars with excellent quality. The attention to detail on the Hamer is incredible.

6. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

Both are great guitars. Here is my SC 245, which may end up in the Emporium. It's a great LP style guitar but I may need the cash for something else.
    [​IMG]

7. rjgtr

rjgtr Member

I really do like my PRS 245. It is very close in character to my Les Paul, but still has a little of it's own identity. I also have to admit I've got a few PRSes and I really like the wide fat neck shape.

Having said that I think Hamer makes a quality guitar too. I own a 1980 special. For me it would be an issue of playing them and choosing the guitar with the right feel and neck.

8. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

I couldn't resist!!!!! I am a 1-OFF addict!!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. grapeshot

grapeshot Supporting Member

I love the 245. The neck joints on them are great and very comfortable. Hamer makes really good stuff, but I don't like the neck joint on the Monacos; they are very square and the neck sits away from the body sort of like an LP Special.

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

Same here. On the Hamer, there is a step where the cutaway ends and the neck begins. Gibson figured this out in 1952. Why a step?

11. Aardvark

Aardvark Silver Supporting Member

My SC245 is now in the Emporium. Check it out.

12. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

I have not played the PRS, but Hamer's attention to detail is impressive.

[​IMG]

The one in the middle is a Super Pro. The other 2 are Elites.

My subjective ratings:
    Playability/feel: 10
    Tone: Between 8.5 and 9.5. I'm not thrilled about the overdriven tones. IMO they lack some clarity and definition.
    Quality: These go to 11 :D
    Most-"LP like": This one is tough, as LPs can vary so much. I liked the Hamers better than most LPs I've played. There are a couple of LPs that I prefer over the Hamers, especially when it comes to overdriven tones. I have not played VOS or Historic LPs.

Hypothetically, if I had to choose between a Monaco and a Gibson, both at the same price, and both with identical sounds, I would probably choose the Hamer. Quality and attention to detail are incredible. Additionally, TonePros and StrapLocks are standard in the Hamers.

13. HHB

HHB Member

I did a AB test w/ a really good R9 w/ original PAFs and a custom order Monaco elite w/ Duncan handwound "Jimmy Page" custom shops. I was amazed that the Hamer sounded better in every way to my ear, the guys who were there all agreedthat the Hamer just ruled, now if they cab go back and digitally insert the Hamer into "The Song Remains the Same" we'll have sumpin LOL. Never tried the PRS but the Hamer can sound really nice

14. glman

glman Member

I can honestly say that the SC245 is " the best " Lp type guitar i've ever played.
    I've owned about 6 Lp's from the 70's through the 90's and still own a custom but the playability and feel of the SC245 blows me away every time I pick it up - !!
    Best guitar I've ever played - honestly!!!
    [​IMG]

15. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I'd go Hamer every time, but that is just me. I like the LP scale length instead of the 25" PRS scale, and I personally don't really like PRS guitars that much for one reason or another (even though I agree they are fantastic guitars).

As far as overdriven tones, I like the sounds of my Hamers better for overdrive than any other guitars I've played. They are Les Paul "ish" but much more refined and tighter, which could be due to the thick finish. They resonate and sustain forever, and have made me rethink my "thick finish is bad" mindset.

The neck joint is what first bugged me about Monaco Elites before I bought one, but I don't play too much that high on the fretboard and when I do, I find that the neck joint and the little shelf there don't get in my way and I actually prefer the way in which I have to hold my hand to fret notes moreso than with Les Pauls, so it's been a comfortable thing for me. Hamer does it that way for a reason -- having body wood surrounding both sides of the neck at the joint increases sustain and tone, and I have to say that I believe it. Worth it for me to have the joint there and enjoy the tone of that guitar.

16. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

...but the SC245 is not 25" scale. It's 24.5".

17. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

My mistake -- dang, maybe I need to check the 245!

18. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member

I also found them to be very resonant and the sustain is great, but with overdrive I preferred a Gibson Les Paul Classic Antique with Burstbuckers. That applied to both rhythm and lead playing. If I had not compared them side by side, I would be 100% happy with the Hamer, but that Gibson sounded better to me for overdriven tones. It's not that the Hamers sounded bad, though. :)

19. slipbeer

slipbeer Supporting Member

I don't have any issues with the neck joint on my Hamer. I have WCR Goodwoods in it which I like a whole lot better than the stock pickups which I thought were really mid-rangey.

However, I've been looking at SC245's alot lately. I wouldn't get rid of the Hamer to get one but I could definitely have one too. I really like the shorter scale neck better than other PRS SC's I've played.

[​IMG]

20. Ah Xoc Kin

Ah Xoc Kin Member