PRS 5 way 85/15 to Split or other Clean options?

Twister

Silver Supporting Member
I picked up a Custom 24 with 85/15s and the 5 way switch. The pickups are breakup at full guitar selected volume from about 1/2 volume up on my cleanest settings. I love the guitar, but so far not loving the tone unless I'm really thumping in the dirty area. Suggestions? Hoping for the best of both worlds in one guitar.

slipbeer

Gold Supporting Member
I'd start by doing some pickup tweaking. Crank them down even with the rings and then start slowly adjusting back up to taste.

Those are so new that I have not seen too many tone reports but I'd be surprised if some adjusting can't clean them up.

InkStained

I've been curious about these pickups, too. They're in the new CE 24, which everyone here hates, of course.

CatStrangler

I picked up a Custom 24 with 85/15s and the 5 way switch. The pickups are breakup at full guitar selected volume from about 1/2 volume up on my cleanest settings. I love the guitar, but so far not loving the tone unless I'm really thumping in the dirty area. Suggestions? Hoping for the best of both worlds in one guitar.
I have several guitars withe 85/15s or 58/15s... They definitely don't like my lower wattage amps (15-20 watts) but love my 30-50 watters. I am suggesting that you try an amp with more headroom.

Twister

Silver Supporting Member
Thanks, I'm using a Fractal Axe FXII with 2 Atomic powered wedges. I like the tone for modern gain and leads, but for anything cleaner not so much. I'll mess with the pickup height as well.

Trending Topics