PRS 513...Any Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Droptop, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I finally got to try one out today and was very impressed with the versatility. Funky looking pickups, but great tone. Anyone else try these out?

2. bforest4

bforest4 Supporting Member

Pretty good. and extremely versatile, but basically a Jack of all trades. Great if you need one guitar in a cover band, wedding band, or TV show like american idol or letterman and I think the pickups look cool.

3. atomicmassunit

atomicmassunit Member

I thought they looked horrible when they came out. 0 interest in them, even being a PRS nut like I am.

Then I played one. It blew me away. The sound, the feel, the neck shape, longer scale length, the pickups, the switching system all combine to make a fantastic instrument. The rosewood neck versions are magical. But, you have to be careful when you bring it to your gig, because you might not pick up your other guitars. 9 times out of 10 when I gig with the 513, whatever guitar I planned on playing stays on the stand looking forlorn.

4. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

Main live guitar. I like:

-the taller frets
    -the neck size
    -the slightly longer scale
    -the pickup system
    plus, it's a gold top and looks damn cool.

5. gregory49

gregory49 Member

6. JimH

JimH Member

Is that jack of all trades master of none or...? well you know what I'm getting at. I know it's impossible to cover all the tones, but there's closer and less close. I struggle with it, my two versatile guitars are a fat tele with lil59 in the neck and 5 way switching and a standard looking 3-pup strat but with tons of series parrallel options. I'd guess the 513 is a bit better than those, but then does it do any tone brilliantly or are they all a bit off...? - You see I find I only ever use a few sounds. - I could get by with a good neck single coil sound and a good neck humbucker sound, one good bridge bucker sound and one really good single coil parrallel 'quack' sound, but getting even those 4 in one guitar isn't easy.

7. Droptop

Droptop Supporting Member

I must admit I am hesitant when it comes to guitars that can cover both spectrums (humbuckers and single coil). I thought that this guitar did it better than any other I've tried...yes even better than my Tom Anderson.

8. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

9. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

I used to have a 513 rosewood and currently have a 513 mahogany. Depending on the amp and pickup selections I use, I can get this guitar to quack, chime, grind, shred, jangle, squeal, or pop. FWIW, I would never look at it as a replacement for a Strat, Tele, or Les Paul, but instead look at it as a very resonant and playable guitar that can give me a ton of very usable and musically expressive sounds. It doesn't sound like any other guitar I own, and plays much better than the Strats I've owned and at least as good if not better than my '58 Reissue Les Paul.

IMHO, 513's aren't perfect, though. I've found the pickup switching system to be somewhat cumbersome to use live. I've also found that these guitars really sound best with tube amps, and sound sterile with the solid state amps and modeling systems I've tried. Also, the 513 is a completely modern guitar design and doesn't look, feel, or sound like a vintage instrument. Some folks might have a hard time with that. However, I really dig mine and think PRS hit the ball out of the park with the design.

10. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

+1

Perfect perception of the 513!

11. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

+2! It's what the specs promised. Designed to be what it ultimately is.

12. Knuckles

Knuckles Member

100% agreed. Well spoken.