PRS 513 Model

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gjbever, Mar 3, 2006.

1. gjbever

gjbever Guest

I haven't seen any posts on the new PRS 513 model. Other than the price it seems like an awesome guitar. Anyone have one or played one that can give me some feedback?

2. shoe

shoe Member

I really wanted to like the guitar......the neck was awesome (best PRS profile I've played) and it was set up perfectly. The electronics on the other hand.....I tried ever permutation that the switching offered and could not get an organic useable tone out of the thing. It sounded so.....sterile. To spend over 4k on a guitar and hate the pickups (which, due to their size and proprietary shape/design are impossible to swap out) just didn't make sense to me.

3. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

They just started a thread about it over on Birds & Moons:

http://forums.birdsandmoons.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23723

Basically I've heard its a jack of all trades but master of none.......I'd love to try one though. Anyone know of any clips anywhere? Somebody lend one to Tag...............:AOK

4. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

OTOH, not to hijack this thread, the Modern Eagle (the other fairly recent PRS issue) is.....INCREDIBLE! In soooo many ways. AC

5. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

I played several 513s when they first came out. Honestly, if they came with ANYTHING other than a BRW neck (which, IMO, unnecessarily jacks the price up), I'd have one.

Wide range of tones available, and jacked straight into a Marshall head (at relatively low volumes) I was able to get sounds both raw and smooth. Electronically one of PRS's best ideas if you ask me.

Of course, the downside is that the electronics are completely proprietary - you can't change them at all. But...if you like 'em, you don't need to :) (and that's coming from a guy that's never left a PRS guitar stock pickups in place ... for long ... )

--chiba

6. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

I tried them, liked the guitar, but not the pickups. Jack of all trades, master of none seems like a good summary to me.

On the other hand, I tried a couple Modern Eagles that were killer.

7. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

[​IMG]

The original owner is a super cool dude (I bought my last PRS from him) and made me a deal I couldn't refuse........:AOK I'm walking on a cloud this evening.........:dude :RoCkIn

8. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

One man's sterile is another man's honest. I played just one 513 but really liked it, in fact, it was to me the best PRS I've played.

P.S. I have to laugh when I read statements like, "Doesn't really sound like a Strat or anything else and lacks its own voice." Come on!

9. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Thanks for that john! So far I'm hearing many its the best thing ever to Its Allright but not all that. No one has disliked it completely.

So For the price I got it at its worth researching. Just the cork sniffer appointments make it worth owning for a while.........The Brazilian Neck , the Pearl Inlays, Artist grade Top..........I've never owned such a fancy beast!

I'm really excited to say the least. [​IMG]

10. tubetone74

tubetone74 Supporting Member

I hear Martin Barre of Jethro Tull has been using one of them. I think he could make any guitar sound awesome.
    I have never had the opportunity to try one myself.

11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Really? Thats a cool endorsment! So far the 2 star sightings have been Martin and the dude from Ricky Martin. It should be alot of fun either way.........:RoCkIn