PRS 57/08 pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Aslan, Feb 26, 2009.

1. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Interesting comments... again, supporting the fact that tone is very subjective.

I have a limited SC245 57/08... I simply love this guitar especially with these pups. Great overall PAF sound... very clear and articulate. I've found them particularly good with a medium gain tube amp. Classic rock heaven!

Maybe it's the sum of it's parts... but I totally dig the 5708's ;)

2. MartinC

MartinC Member

You might be right about the maple cap ... I've never played or heard one (in fact I've never even seen one in Australia) ... but I can concur that the split bridge pickup on an all mahogany Mira with a bit of light gain dialed in can do a great blues tone in the same vein as a tele.

3. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

I agree...I just tried another MEII (of which I dislike the finish on the top) -- and I was shockingly surprised at the difference in sound. That one has me reevaluating my opinion of the pups.

4. joesnewmatch

joesnewmatch Music Is My Soul Food Supporting Member

Jazzgear, I'm not an expert on Fender amps, so I can't tell you the exact model or name, but it was definitely a 2 channel Twin.

Anyone interested in the 57/08 pups or any other PRS pups, like the 245s, should check out the current thread over at Birds and Moons about a limited offer from PRS.

5. Jazzgear

Jazzgear Supporting Member

Hmmm...could be the Evil Twin (I think w/red knobs).....In Fender language, when you say the Twin...typically that would be the venerable Twin Reverb (Single Channel, super clean, and loud)

6. Mercury25

Mercury25 Member

I'm waiting for the PRS Tech Center to open so I can get the 57/08's put in my new CURO24...Now I'm thinking maybe something different...

7. JB Eckl

JB Eckl Member

I'm currently working in a studio that has a nice McCarty with the 57/08s installed. It's night and day from whatever the original pickups were. These ones definitely bring it closer to a Les Paul vibe, but a little brighter. I've had good results so far recording with them, and they have a lot of tonal range in relation to pick attack, which was my main complaint about the stock pickups.

8. MartinC

MartinC Member

Update ... I have tried them now, in a limited edition McCarty 57/08. Plugged into a Victorilux and a Hiwatt Custom 20. I was extremely impressed with the pickups and the guitar. Previous test drives with McCarty's have proved under-whelming for me ... but this one, with these pickups will be hard to surpass. The detail and clarity in the full humbucker and split coil modes were superb ... no hint of mudiness. This guitar will probably be one of those that I regret not buying in years to come. There's only one other such guitar that I didn't buy that falls into that category.

9. fullerplast

fullerplast Senior Member

I find the 57/08's to be exceptional sounding pickups....if you are more of a single coil user you will especially appreciate them IMHO. The clarity and articulation with a punch is what distinguishes it from many other models. They sound great clean or with gain, but they don't hit the front end of an amp with a sledgehammer.

10. MartinC

MartinC Member

That's me ...

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Best sounding pickups I've ever heard or played. Jaw dropping in fact. I've got them in a CU 24 trem Experience guitar. This is a keeper for life.

12. Bluedawg

Bluedawg Member

I still want some ... waiting patiently for their aftermarket presence.

Maybe someday I'll splurge and ship my PRS to the factory for the upgrade, but no hurry.

:hide

13. mattpeyton

mattpeyton Member

As a newbie to this forum - but a 30 year guitar player with a closet that includes some legit old guitars, I have to say that IMHO the new PRS 57/08 set up is sonically amazing.

I had a 1988 PRS guitar in music school - number 890 of his production. It had HFS pickups - and all it did was scream. Not much soul when played clean and not much twang. I sold it for a 1962 Strat (I don't regret that much!) but recently got a chance to play it again - and my opinion hadn't changed in all these years - I didn't miss it.

So it was a GREAT surprise that when I went in to Guitar Center to play some instruments, I ended up falling in LOVE with a 25th Anniversary Custom 24. I mean head over heals. Credit card dropping sell the motorcycle honey I'm bringing this guitar home love.

The neck/bridge sounds were VERY similar to my gold top. The strat sounds really nailed a modern strat in between tone, and the middle position was alot like the middle position of a really good Telecaster. I'm going to say that I did try several anniversary Custom 24s and a one was a little bright. I also tried some Custom 22s and McCartys - but without that 5 way I felt I was missing alot of sounds.

14. captain_bob

captain_bob Member

I haven't had a chance to try them yet. The price continues to come down on used sets so hopefully one of these days I'll be able to sink a set into my McCarty.

15. markocaster

markocaster Member

I just won a brand new set from Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center Now I need to decide if I want to keep them or find a guitar to put em in. they look sweet

16. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I just purchased a set, now I need a guitar to put them in.

17. acdc126

acdc126 Member

I tried this today and wasnt charmed by the look of a burst guitar, but I love the sound of the 3000$ prs guitar with 57/08 pickups!

18. captain_bob

captain_bob Member

I bought a set last August for one of my McCartys. Best set of pickups I own.

[​IMG]

19. Sean French

Sean French Supporting Member

I've played a couple of Smokeburst McCarty' with 57/08'.
    Really good IMO.
    I have a set of DGT' in my '97 McCarty though.I absolutely love the DGT pickups in my guitar.
    It I had another McCarty I'd get the 57/08' for it.

20. teleamp

teleamp Senior Member

I put a 57/08 neck bucker in my partscaster tele and it is awesome!