PRS afficionados please chime in: is this legit?

BMX

Silver Supporting Member
Isn't it cheaper because it doesn't have a maple cap on the body? Looks legit to me but I'm not an expert.

Rikster

Seems legit. I would see if they could send some hi-res pics, especially the back of the headstock. Looks to be a 2012.

Isn't it cheaper because it doesn't have a maple cap on the body? Looks legit to me but I'm not an expert.
:agree
I would also ask for an angled photo to see if there is maple "binding" which would indicate that there actually is a maple top or not. I don't know whether it affects the price that much but it will make a difference in weight and overall tone. If you can find a dealer with one to try that would be ideal. I love mine, as well as my other PRS guitars, but some people do not like the jumbo frets and the DGT neck dimensions. The neck is different from the custom 24. It's similar, but not the same, as the McCarty. The pickups are great as is the coil tap, although that's my own opinion.

Cheers,

Rich:cool:

PSLUAN

Action music is a very respectable dealer in the DC metro area. I visit their store every half a year. They mainly deal with high end guitars, especially used ones.
The price is not surprising for a DGT standard. It doesn't have a maple top and generally goes around $1600.
I saw your location is in France. I would suggest you call them for international shipping before place the order.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Jven

Silver Supporting Member
I think most of them, if not all have maple caps, but painted, and of course there's the all mahogany stained version... and not all are supposed to have the scrapped binding, I could be wrong, but I read it somewhere...

Reactions: BMX

Paul Rathjen

Solid Color, no birds DGT - looks legit and a typical price.
What is it you like about this particular guitar?

JMintzer

Burned Out Mod
Absolutely legit. Doubt there is any maple binding, since you would be able to see it in the upper cutaway...

Whitecat

Looks good to me, but bear in mind rosewood is now a pain to move across international borders so your first question should be whether they are willing to source the permits...

haslar

Dear all,

Thanks for the replies !
That really helps.

I'm an absolute newbie when it comes to PRS guitars - I've played for 40 years and have owned many guitars, but never a single PRS.
I was checking the used prices, and PRS DGTs are all over the map - from 1.5k to 3.5k and over! I'm not sure I understand why some DGTs are worth more than twice what others command.
I already own an Heritage 535, a Gibson R8, an original '59 Gibson Les Paul Junior, and a Burny Flying V - so I can't really justify another humbucker guitar... but if it's less than 2k, then why not.

Are there any years, options, combinations that I should look for particularly? Or is the basic 1.5k model (without a maple cap) OK?

thanks!
:)

Top Bottom