PRS Amp - on the endangered list?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jedi, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Jedi

Jedi Member

So, I have made trips and called some of my favorite music shops that carry PRS in a quest to play a MDT, HX/DA or Dallas and have struck out each time. The story has been the same from multiple dealers..."we don't stock the amps anymore because they don't sell".

What is the deal? The clips I have heard on-line sound pretty good given the compression and ****** mics on many consumer cameras.

So, why are the PRS amps struggling in the marketplace?

What the heck? :confused:

2. jp1977

jp1977 Member

I don't think they are or were selling good. I tried out two different models and I wasn't blown away. Not saying they were bad, just there are better options for the dough.

3. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

Try Sweetwater. They seem to b well stocked.

4. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon

Like JP, I felt the pricetag WAY exceeded the performance of the amp. Quite honestly, I preferred by Crate Vintage Club to it. I paid $160 for it. So there you go.

5. RCCola

RCCola (|@ / \ @ |.) Gold Supporting Member

Price. Also a lot of ppl didn't like the Grandma's Couch covering. I liked it.

I've noticed a couple of well-known builders have stepped out of the game recently too, so it could be a market thing. Just hard to make a profitable business.

6. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

I loved my H combo. Shoulda kept it!

7. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Silver Supporting Member

Perhaps if you'd loved it more you would have (this compliments Guitar Josh's observation).

8. mocaster

mocaster Silver Supporting Member

I have two Sewells, one combo, one head... Sound amazing...gotta crank up all the way though...

Have a H combo sounds great also...

Sold my Dallas, sounded pretty good as well...

Pricing was way too high on these..also, they are not that loud as 50 watts goes...

My Dr Z Route 66 is louder with the volume on 9o'clock using my Provalve pedal..

Have several other amps, incuding a Bogner Duende and Hot Rod Deluxe...nothing beats the Sewell plugged straight in ready to go.....

Daves Guitar Shop has a used combo 1/12" Sewell for $1500.....

Like Guitar Josh says, for the money you can get a ton of great amps for much less...

I have a Crate VFX 50 that was a backline amp at Crossroads festival I got for $350..

Sounds incredible live...wish it didn't weigh 60lbs...

FWIW.

9. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

When they first came out I was interested. Way too much $$ though. I never even tracked one down to check out at those prices.

10. Live Wire

Live Wire Member

Maybe Mr Sewell can get a job with Eric Pritchard.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  11. Faded

Faded Member

None of this sounds based in reality. I agree the amps are overpriced, but the rest is conjecture.

12. sgt_steiner

sgt_steiner Member

As a long-time PRS player/collector here's my two cents --

Paul was trying to enter an already-crowded boutique amp market, which we all know includes MANY, MANY great builders these days. So for starters, the marketplace is crowded. Then there's the plain fact that the amps themselves simply didn't blow enough people away. They just didn't turn heads like I assume PRSh thought they would.

This may be the Golden Age of boutique amps. With so many world-class options for so many varying tastes, another solid-but-not-spectacular "retro/old-school"-sounding amp can get lost in the shuffle more easily than at any time before. And that's exactly what happened.

In terms of low-brow PRS hating, "man with the million dollar ears" and all that other b.s... well, it's just b.s. and has nothing to do with the fate of the Paul Reed Smith amp line.

DreamTheaterRules likes this.
  13. djdrdave

djdrdave Member

I love PRS guitars. Have only demoed a few of their amps. Really amps arent their core business but i give them credit for trying

14. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I've played some of the PRS amps and echo the feelings of others, not blown away by them.

The Guitar Centers around here are usually stocked with awesome amps and also have a great selection of used amps that some people never get to see in a store.
    Seems like the PRS amps sit around without selling very much.
    When you have a PRS H50 sitting next to a SLO, 20th Shiva & Ectasy, Rockerverb, YJM and 3 Monkeys...well it just doesn't stand up well to those other amps.

15. MichaelSaulnier

MichaelSaulnier Member

I really like the H 1x12 combo I got from a local dealer... but they were blowing it out at only $900 and I haven't seen them reorder a replacement for their store inventory.

The quality of the amp and tone available is a good value at the price I paid... but at the normal retail price, there are plenty of competitors.

PRS's foray into amps reminds me a bit of Taylor's entry into the solidbody electric guitar market. Both companies succeeded tremendously in their niches against longstanding entrenched competitors. Both decided to expand into new markets and produced a quality product. Both faced consumers who haven't really welcomed the products with widespread acceptance.

In my own case, the H amp is nice, but only about 4th on my list of amps I have available to take out to gig... (Fuchs ODS 50 modded HRD, Mesa Mini Rec and 1x12 cab, pair of Fender Blues Jr's for small stereo setup). I've tried to stick with a personal rule that if I don't gig something at least once in 6 months, it's time to sell it... I haven't gigged the H for a while... it's probably going soon.

M

16. CharAznable

CharAznable Member

The amps are essentially made by two guys handwiring in a room. That's why they're expensive.

But people see the name PRS and they must imagine a huge factory cranking out amps in a conveyor belt. I can see why the prices are hard to accept.

17. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

The original PRS tube amps (paisley covered) were way too expensive, and not that great relative to their prices. The current USA-made amps single channel amps are competitively priced -- relative to similar hand-wired USA-made amps.

The 2-channel amps are a relative bargain for USA-made hand-wired 2-channel amps. I had tried an H-amp combo and wasn't impressed. But I just recently played another one -- a head through a PRS 2-12" cab and thought it sounded good. My only issue with it was that there's no low-gain setting, there's only high gain (high for me, that is) and higher gain. But for a heavy rock guy, they seem like high-quality (better made than many of the very small shop boutique amps) inexpensive choices.

Joe

18. Jedi

Jedi Member

Thanks for the responses guys....what I don't get is...if I was PRS, I would make it a necessary part of the franchise to carry both guitars and amps. The other guys (Fender, etc) do this and while it may appear a bit "heavy-handed", it is necessary for the shops to have product if it is going to gain acceptance. If you cannot find them anywhere to check out, the amp line will never gain any traction. Of course, if the output is so low that they are selling all they can make...great. But, I don't get that feeling. Hmmm?

19. dividedsky

dividedsky Member

I know of one place where they tried to do this. The shop said no one wanted the amps and was told they could either carry the amps too or drop the whole line. They dropped the whole line.

I know there are a few people that really love these amps and that's great but overall people didn't go for them and I don't know why PRS can't just accept that. They do a tremendous guitar business. Leave the amps to someone else.

20. tjinca1

tjinca1 Member

Nah, I have too much gas, I'm always flipping.