PRS Amp - on the endangered list?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jedi, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Jedi

Jedi Member

This is a "key" point....how are you supposed to know what's available? :jo

2. Jedi

Jedi Member

Good point...and who cares if the foot switch needed a battery..?

3. Jedi

Jedi Member

Certainly disagree with this....the fact that the company makes great hi-end guitars, the idea of great sounding hi-end amps makes total sense to me and one would think their user base would gobble up every amp available.

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Been trying to get through to Doug or Matt for the past two days. No go so far. REALLY interested in the MDT, but not so much if I can't get any information about the "mods" or adding a loop. (which I would need for my style of playing) Exhausted all the info that Wildwood and Guitar Sanctuary have to offer, thus my need to speak to PRS personally. Find it "annoying" that I can't actually speak to the guy that builds the amps and get this information first hand instead of second or third party. One of the things I have always enjoyed about RedPlate, Glaswerks, Bludotone, Sebago Sound, and Morgan to name a few, is that you can actually speak to the PERSON that is going to build your amp and get his personal opinion and ideas about what these changes actually do to the circuit BEFORE you buy. I realize PRS is a relatively large company, but I don't think the CAD amps are flying off the shelf these days thus my reason for thinking it should be easy to talk to somebody there. (??)

:)

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012
  5. izzyizborn

izzyizborn Member

I hear you! It can be confusing, especially if you're sitting in a store demoing the amp! The only thing I can suggest is to reach out to the amp guys at the factory - they should be tracking their versions by serial # or "born on" date, but I'm not certain of this. What's cool is that they're VERY approachable, and rather reasonable in assisting and listening to the players needs. I've never spoken to anyone regarding changes to their guitar line, but I've texted Doug directly regarding my experiences with his amp. He's a very gracious guy.

Mike

6. izzyizborn

izzyizborn Member

Sending you a PM..

7. Outlier

Outlier Member

Well they haven't so what is the explanation? I hazard that it's because they don't see PRS as an amp maker and for the same reason they are drawn to PRS for a guitar, they are drawn to Two Rock, Carol Ann or Matchless for an amp. They want the best.

8. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Wow, troll much?

9. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Thanks. Got it.

:)

10. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Thanks,Mike!

:brick

Ed

11. Mr Boggie

Mr Boggie Member

i took a bath selling my 25th anniv.

12. THebert

THebert Member

Sorry about the misinformation on the footswitch. I see it does not come with LEDs, my bad on that.

This is an interesting take on the whole PRS amp situation in regards to looks vs. sound. From an interview with the man himself:

Rick: I found it kind of interesting that you’re now kind of matching your guitars with your amps. The maple and the color scheme. How’d you come up with that? It’s a great idea, sort of building desire.

Paul Reed Smith: 80 percent of information is bought with people’s eyeballs and we finally figured out a way to do it. Like anything, you take Soundcraft consoles, the series 1, 2, 3 and 4, they were learning as they were going from their customer base, right? We’re learning as we’re going from our customer base. Brad Whitford and Neal Schon, when they got their amps, both looked and said, “They look like furniture, Paul.” That’s cool.

http://guitarinternational.com/2012/10/18/paul-reed-smith/

13. Igneous

Igneous Member

well said.

14. Outlier

Outlier Member

Never actually. And your post suggests you don't think much or do much research before posting and wasting space on this thread. Check out my posting history before you accuse me of being a troll or you are the one who sounds like the moron.

15. Live Wire

Live Wire Member

Well, look on the bright side, the guy who bought it took a bath too.

16. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Powered by Coffee Gold Supporting Member

Your tone was condescending and troll-like, hence my post. For you to say that others disregard PRS and look to Two Rock and Carol-Ann because "they want the best" speaks to your own lack of research. I've sat at Doug Sewell's workbench, I know how these amps are made and I own one.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  17. Outlier

Outlier Member

Name dropping aside, you missed my whole point which is that it is marketing and perception that makes and amp successful in the marketplace. You could build the best amp ever but it the perception is that it lacks 'mojo' or isn't a 'serious musician's amp' or so forth it is going to fail in that target market of people spending thousands of dollars on an amp. If it is not perceived to be 'the best' then that is what you are up against.

I have nothing but respect for PRS and what they are doing but the reasons why they are failing in the amp market are both interesting and somewhat foreseeable. But PRSh is a risk taker and I suspect he chose to enter the fray because he believed he could hire the type of people who could build a better mousetrap and they could leverage their customer base to move a new product at a premium price similar to other boutique amps. His fans can only buy so many guitars at $3K a pop so why not offer a great amp and get more money from them?

But it isn't working so the consumer psychology of owning a PRS amp is not aligning with their plan. This has less to do with what happens at someone's work bench and everything to do with how amp shoppers think about their gear.

18. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

How do you know it's not working?

19. Outlier

Outlier Member

The OP begins this thread under that premise. I haven't seen anyone provide data that runs contrary to the OP's observation but I'm open to persuasive sales data if anyone has some...