PRS Amp - on the endangered list?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jedi, Nov 24, 2012.

1. dilznik

dilznik Member

I was looking into getting an SE30 amp but there was no way I was going to pay $800 for an amp made in China.

I tried an HX/DA when Paul Smith came through on a road tour. It sounded pretty good. It wasn't $3000 good, however.

Still love the guitars. I have four of them and I hardly ever touch my other guitars. If I get another guitar it'll be the Brent Mason PRS. Paul Smith had that on his road show as well and it was great.

2. henryjurstin13

henryjurstin13 Member

Just FYI, my 2 channel H head was under 9 bills & arrived in a case/bag. Deals are out there... I'll never pay 3k for an amp either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. dilznik

dilznik Member

Yeah this was back when they were brand new a couple of years ago. I'm guessing I can get one used pretty cheap. But it would still be made in China. I'm happy with what I've got.

4. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

Tried a Super Dallas a couple years ago. Sounded great at David Grissom approved volumes but pretty "Meh" at the lower volume settings. Gives up the goods at volume levels quite a bit louder than my loudest venue/gig for sure. Oh well.

:)

5. Tyleranselmo11

Tyleranselmo11 Member

im gonna have to kindly disagree with the rest of you..The PRS CAD stuff blows me away..You cant get a better amp for that vintage tone as far as plug and play goes...Doug sewell i think makes the best mastervolume circuit out there..Ive owned and played a million boutique amps and I would take the Dallas over any boutique fender amp the sewell over any boutique high gain amp and the HXDA over any Marshall boutique amp..Now I think alot of people dont like these amps because they just plug them in and they cant find a sound..when it comes to these amps there is a sweet spot that you have to hit in order to really hear these amps shine..Usually with the master and volume both around 1-3 o clock..These amps make you work for it but when you find it theres no need to bring pedals ever...Since i started playing these amps over t he last maybe 2 years I havent brought my pedal board out once..I mean it also depends on what your doing i suppose..If your playing a jazz or wedding band gig there useless lol..if your a Blues player or a Rock player then theres nothing out there that beats em for that straight in sound...just my 2 cents though

6. Tyleranselmo11

Tyleranselmo11 Member

I mean also gotta realize that some of the biggest names in rock and roll and blues use these amps..derek trucks warren haynes dave grissom brad whitford joe perry couple other guys who use real marshalls and fenders for a living in other bands

7. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

Couldn't agree more.
    One thing worth noting is that these amps (the Plexi-derived ones at least, not 100% sure about all others) are based on the 1987 platform, so non-masters at heart, with an added PPIMV (built up boutique style from fixed resistors on a rotary switch), slightly different PSU and stuff.
    No comparison with all the popular 2204 based hot rods ...
    I had my tech build a clone (sans master), as PRS don't sell these amps in Europe for whatever weird reasons, and it just roars. This and my real DG-30 are my favourite amps these days.
    ymmv,
    Rhino

8. Captain Sco

Captain Sco Member

Derek and Warren hardly use the PRS amps now though, they have them, but do not use them as primary's.

Warren has his Soldano and Diaz amps and Derek heavily uses the super Reverb.

I'm indifferent on the amps as I have not played one, but a friend of mine has a 50w Stealth (I believe) and only uses the clean channel from what I have heard, but with pedals it sounds great.

9. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

Sorry, but that's exactly the type of vague hearsay you find all over this thread ...
    Stealth does not refer to a certain amp type, it's merely the basic black tolex option.
    And an amp with a clean channel would obviously be a totally different beast, none of the mentioned artists ever used a two channel PRS afaik.
    Regarding Warren Haynes, he has different setups depending on his various bands. Afaik he never / rarely used a PRS with Mule, that's his trusty Soldano / Diaz rig. The PRS amps are all over his recent solo work (check the Moody Theater DVD for some wonderful music and guitar tones, PRS + Diaz) and also every recent years Allmans clip I've seen, as well as the Gregg Allman celebration ...
    Won't comment on Derek as I'm not really current about his gear, but he sure gets some classic tones from those PRS amps when he uses them.
    no offense meant,
    peace,
    Rhino

10. Faded

Faded Member

PRS amps second hand value is dismal everywhere except vintage rocker. That indicates low demand.

They may sound nice, and some of them do. But there are other options out there that players are wanting above these amps.

11. J_Stefanik

J_Stefanik Member

I think that's pretty much spot on to my experience as well. I do use pedals with mine (and plenty of them) and the loop is awesome for that. But yea, my 50w H has that sweet spot right where you mentioned it. Actually, friday night, the sound guy encouraged me to turn it up even louder as I wasn't mic'd (when does that ever happen?? lol) So I was running the thing at like 4oclock on the master and 2 or so on the pre... thing was cookin real nice and cut through the entire band like a hot knife when it needed to. I agree that most people try them out and have written them off as they don't get the opportunity to turn them up loud enough. You might say, well it should sound good at any volume, and I agree to some extent... but I play in a 8 piece band and this is my gigging amp, for that job, this amp kicks some serious ass.

12. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

Escaped Kaliforina to the great state of TEXAS
    I'd pretty much echo what the others have said here - I've had a few PRS guitars and liked them - the amps were "good" but THREE prices.

I got really interested when the new 30 watt Grissom was announced.... then I saw the price!:crazy
    Just not going to take a "chance" on something at that price point when there are so many other great options. And most of the "known" amps out there are easy to flip if your needs or taste changes. No so with the PRS amps.

13. ezra1

ezra1 Member

My buddy went amp shopping yesterday .
    He had a 65 Amps London Head and Cabinet for trade. ( Poor manufactor support for any questions )
    I wanted him to get a 61 Brown Face Pro that was very good.
    Too much cash ( for him ) to throw in.
    The sales guy listened to what he was going for and brought in a used PRS Dallas 2.
    My friend liked it. They wanted $1100 for the amp.
    They traded even.
    My friend likes the amp.

ProfRhino likes this.
  14. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

Dallas 2 - that's the PCB version, right ?
    Rhino

15. ezra1

ezra1 Member

I think so...

ProfRhino likes this.
  16. ProfRhino

ProfRhino Member

not like it would matter much, except for value. :dunno
    it's still one of Doug's babies, I have big trust in their build quality.
    btw, as I've never seen one of these - 6L6 or EL34, like the Super Dallas ?
    Rhino