Prs and repair pricing

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by sidehatch, Dec 6, 2017.

1. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

First, I'd like to get out of the way that if I didn't love my guitar I'd never have anything to do with prs. I've been a supporter and have used them on several world tours and have paid for them with my money.

I have a 91 custom. I bought it in 91with my college loan money. I've played it on everything since. Literally 1000's of gigs.

The neck finally broke a few weeks ago due to a strap lock. I know it's not prs' s fault but $1400 to glue it and touch it up? To a guy that has been a supporter from the beginning? I told them that's too much and the reply was" well, it looks like you got your money from it." I wish I had something I like better.

A fantastic repairman named Ron Lira is doing it for $300. I know his work and it will be as good as prs but to keep my lifetime warranty I must use prs. I know after 26 years it's no good though.

So, what's the deal with prs' s repair price?

2. paulbearer

paulbearer Supporting Member

Robbing Peter to pay Paul.
    Sorry, Pete.

sidehatch likes this.
  3. jvin248

jvin248 Member

PRS customer service told me they did not repair broken necks ... Here's what I did.
    I bought this guitar with the damage, both sides and the back were cracked and it acted like a tremolo it flexed so much plus the action was quite horrible. There were also some deep machete hack marks on one side of the body plus years of general gigging abuse.
    The whole process of deconstruction and repair: Steamed! -- Repairing a broken neck PRS
    Cracks:
    [​IMG]

All fixed up and playing again:
    [​IMG]

Post some pictures of your guitar.

sidehatch likes this.
  4. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

I will post before and after pic. Though I'm sure Mr lira doesn't need the work.

I'm astounded that they can charge those kind of prices and some people pay it. They are surely are ate up with themselves.

5. Dan Coughlin

Dan Coughlin Member

Not intended as a defense, more speculation and curiosity.. as a manufacturer I know we will price ourselves out of jobs we don't want because they will be too disruptive to our production otherwise. If you'll pay us that, great, otherwise we're happy to not have that particular order. I wonder if that's the case here. If it wasn't properly communicated then shame on PRS, we're a heavy industry supplier so there's no PR to be bothered about, that's clearly not the case with PRS.

Good luck with your guitar, hope you get at least another 26 years of happy playing with her!

6. mrwolf

mrwolf Member

PRS wanted £350 PLUS the cost of new tuners to strip my old Wing tuners and reassemble with the latest version. That way I'd get the latest version without the need to drill new holes.
    £350 ???? just to do the work.
    Absolutely ridiculous
    Why advertise a service if you're going to piss people off with the price ?

7. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

I think its a stretch to call a guy that bought one guitar almost 30 years ago a supporter from the beginning. You may feel that way because of your connection to your instrument but you are truly long forgotten to a company that now makes a thousand guitars a month or more. So if we remove that emotional baggage from the equation we can get down to the fact that the PTC wants to deal with people who have a lot of money to spend on usually simple upgrades and are worried that any local repairman will irreparably harm their instrument. Also lots of PRS people think if the PTC does the work then the value of the instrument stays the same or goes up. In other words, custom work done by a random guy will obliterate the value of the guitar but custom work done by PRS makes it a faux private stock or something.

As another poster above mentioned PRS probably also just doesn't want to do the work. They would rather spray a new finish here and there and install new versions of their own pickups for very top dollar. The only time I think its worth it to go to them is for restoration on a high value pre-factory guitar. Everything else they're going to charge twice as much or more as an equally qualified repairman to do the work.

8. RicOkc

RicOkc Member

Ron will do a decent job.
    He's been a personal friend of mine for almost 30 years, I have keys to the shop.

I think you brought the guitar in for repair when I was there.

9. sidehatch

sidehatch Member

Maybe I should have specified the beginning of my career.

10. whoismarykelly

whoismarykelly Oh look! This is a thing I can change!

My meaning was that you're dealing with an organization that cares about money at this point and your competition for the "early supporter" title are heavy hitters like Santana and Heart and Ted Nugent. Throwing a bone to a customer from long ago who loves their guitar is less a "sure we'll fix it gratis" than a "if you love it so much then this is a pittance to repair it" as evidenced by their response. I honestly think your guitar is in better hands with a talented luthier not at PRS.

sidehatch and soulman969 like this.
  11. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

That's just typical pricing for the PTC. Usually 2-3 times what another qualified repair shop would charge. Don't forget shipping cost to and from...

From what I understand they do want the work and promoted the division for sometime and at one point were asking for someone to send it the worst broken neck or damaged guitar to them as a challenge to show off their expert repair skills.