PRS Archon 25 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ridethatbike, Feb 10, 2015.

1. ridethatbike

ridethatbike Member

I've been toying around with getting a tube amp again (I have a Fender Mustang III v2 at the moment). I have had a Top Hat SD, Swart AST, Mesa Express 5:25 and 5:50, Blues Jr, Super Champ XD, probably some other amps I've since forgotten.

My local dealer had one of these PRS Archon 25 combo amps in the other day, and I played my R8 through it and was fairly impressed, even though I only spent 10 minutes with it. Like most others, I was turned off by all the high-gain demoes online, as the highest-gain tone I seek is probably Warren Haynes with Gov't Mule and his SLO100.

I really like the clean tone while I was in there, and I got some nice higher-gain sounds, but I didn't have enough time to dial in some moderate gain stuff, like Stone Gossard rhythm work or even Warren Haynes Band Man in Motion.

Does anyone have any input regarding these amps? I plan on going back, but I'm not sure if the amp will still be there or not. Plus there is like ZERO feedback on the 25-watt combos out there. It seems like the PRS amps that are target'ed at that sound I'm looking for are either $2k+ or a one-trick pony.

Thanks!

2. kbgear

kbgear Member

Yeah, the HX/DA sounds like it's down that alley, but more of a "guitar volume knob activated" clean channel. ;)

The Archon clean channel sounds pretty unique, so it's been on my curiosity list too, and I wonder exactly the same thing -- can the dirt be dialed in to a warmer crunch, or is it all about high-gain articulation.

3. majordanger

majordanger Member

Bump. Anybody got one yet?

4. Darkness

Darkness Member

I've got one. As mentioned before, the clean channel is superb. The gain channel is the polarizing bit of this amp. At first, I didn't have much luck getting lower gain, basic tones, but as I've gotten more used to how the channel reacts, I am finding it easier to produce great lower gain tones. I really like the amp. It was a gift, and I'm still saying thank you to those who got it for me. The amp is built like a tank too.

5. TTHX

TTHX Member

Do you have any issues with the noisy effects loop? That's really the only thing that has been holding me back. Absolutely love the high gain tones.

6. Darkness

Darkness Member

It can be a bit noisy with certain pedals. There is a PRS sanctioned mod that removes a cap and reduces the value of one resistor to 47k 1w, but mine only has the cap removed. I may change the resistor in the future, but I really don't use the loop much anyway. I works fine with my ancient Ibanez AD9 delay though. It helps to move the pedals away from the amp. I assume her a kleinulator or a dumbleator would really help too.