PRS archon 25 or Budda SD18 combo ?

M

Member 161675

the things that concern me, is the archon drive like a Mesa recto? If so I don't want it. How the clean channel on the Budda?

gtr37

It's a versatile amp that kinda sounds like a cross between a Mesa/Marshall

It's gain channel does not really excel at classic rock if I am being honest although it can do it

The clean channel is amazing takes pedals well and with the drive cranked will get that classic rock territory better

Schweezly

It's a versatile amp that kinda sounds like a cross between a Mesa/Marshall

It's gain channel does not really excel at classic rock if I am being honest although it can do it

The clean channel is amazing takes pedals well and with the drive cranked will get that classic rock territory better

Agreed. I recently got an Archon 25 combo and love it. It's easy to dial in a good tone I like, but there's a lot more to it I need to explore.

If you want a "mid gain" crunch though...your going to have the lead channel at about 1 on the gain. It sounds good though. Or roll the volume back on the guitar which it does well at.

But I've never played the Buddha

DreamTheaterRules

Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs
Gold Supporting Member
I had an SD18 head, and have played an Archon 25 combo. An Archon will be my next amp. Probably a 50 head. IF they made the 25 in head version that's what I'd get because it's not small glass/small iron and it sounds bigger than other 25 watt amps.

So, Budda SD 18- great amp for sure. I didn't love the clean channel, but it is really good, just not the voice I wanted. I kept trying to brighten it up for sparkly clean stuff and it didn't work for me. The OD channel is definitely great, but more of the older M style, low mids emphasis type voice. Great for sure, but I wanted a more modern aggressive OD channel. I went to Mesa and got all I needed.

But then I heard an Archon and it is a killer amp. Clean channel is really great as has been said. OD channel is very high gain but remains clarity and note/string definition even at high gain. Clearly a "high end" amp. The one thing that kept me from falling in love with the one I tested like I did later with the ones I got clips of.... the combo speaker. I knew going in that wasn't my favorite speaker and I left the demo without the amp, and wishing I had brought one of my cabs. I've since got clips from friends of their Archon 50 and 100 heads and they just SLAY! I Didn't want a combo and didn't like the combo speaker. A 25 or 50 head would rule the earth with my Mesa 2x12 veritical recto cab! Or my PRS Cab with some nice Scumbacks!!! And soon, it will! Ok, it won't rule the earth with me playing it, but you know...

I'm selling gear now to fund one. Most likely a 50 watt head.

M

Member 161675

3 weeks later: I never did get a chance to play a Archon. I ending up getting a Budda SD 30 212. I retubed it with Sovteks Power and pre ( had JJs ). I'm glad I got it. It is loud and sounds better the louder it gets. The clean channel is good and does the job. The dirty channel is outstanding, just what I was after. Low volume practice is fine with a DS1 on the clean channel.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom