PRS Archon 25 or Mesa Rectoverb 25?

MonstaTone

I was thinking about a Decimator. It's a lot quieter now though. I think the hiss will definitely not be offensive once I swap all of the tubes.

The Archon doesn't seem to change tone at lower volumes like many amps do.
I have a Rivera K-Tre, and like most Riveras, it needs to be on 4 to sound good. I use the loop as an attenuator and it works pretty well, but sounds fizzy.
I think the Archon wins over all of my amps for low volume playing!
Even on the Half Power setting, it doesn't change tone very much, which I really like.

Not sure if the clean channel will keep up with a loud drummer though. Maybe I should have gotten the 50 watter. Time will tell........

Darkness

I was thinking about a Decimator. It's a lot quieter now though. I think the hiss will definitely not be offensive once I swap all of the tubes.

The Archon doesn't seem to change tone at lower volumes like many amps do.
I have a Rivera K-Tre, and like most Riveras, it needs to be on 4 to sound good. I use the loop as an attenuator and it works pretty well, but sounds fizzy.
I think the Archon wins over all of my amps for low volume playing!
Even on the Half Power setting, it doesn't change tone very much, which I really like.

Not sure if the clean channel will keep up with a loud drummer though. Maybe I should have gotten the 50 watter. Time will tell........
The low volume tone thing surprised me too. It still sounds really good at bedroom levels. My Mesa sounds nice at that volume, but it needs to be wound up a bit more to sound as sweet.

Last edited:

MonstaTone

Surprised me too! I'm really digging it!

Do you use your Archon 25 with a band? I'm curious to see how it handles a drummer.

I really like it with the Swamp Thang. The stock speaker sounded small and stuffy.
I also tried it with a Mesa MC-90 (Celestion Black Shadow), which really woke the clean channel up! It was too bright though.
The ST has been too dark for every amp I've tried it with, but it's perfect with the Archon. Warm and fat with lots of bass and sustain.
I can get the amp to do controlled feed back at conversation volume. Pretty freaking cool!

Darkness

Surprised me too! I'm really digging it!

Do you use your Archon 25 with a band? I'm curious to see how it handles a drummer.

I really like it with the Swamp Thang. The stock speaker sounded small and stuffy.
I also tried it with a Mesa MC-90 (Celestion Black Shadow), which really woke the clean channel up! It was too bright though.
The ST has been too dark for every amp I've tried it with, but it's perfect with the Archon. Warm and fat with lots of bass and sustain.
I can get the amp to do controlled feed back at conversation volume. Pretty freaking cool!
No band usage yet. Just me noodling around with it. I really need to find some other people to jam with. Just not wanting to play covers, only original stuff.

MonstaTone

Just not wanting to play covers, only original stuff.
I hear you there! We play a few, like Cake's "Short Skirt, Long Jacket," but we play them our way.
I always look at it like this.......I can't stand Bob Dylan's version of "All Along the Watchtower," but I can listen to the Hendrix version all day.

Shark21

Silver Supporting Member
I swapped V1 on the Archon 25 with a 12AT7 new old stock Phillips tube. The amp is just fabulous now. Less gain on the lead channel which lowered the noise floor considerably (not entirely) and the clean channel is just fabulous. If you have the stock speaker, lose it. Celestion 65wt Creamback loaded into mine and I just love this amp for everything. I play classic rock and like to have a great clean, crunch and searing "Gary Moore esque" lead tone. A real sleeper of an amp that requires a little attention.

Trending Topics