PRS Archon 50 combo vs Peavey 6505+ 112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Silvertree, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Silvertree

Silvertree Silver Supporting Member

Can anyone A/B these two amps for me, primarily at low levels, price notwithstanding. I can play through the PRS but there isn't a 6505+ nearby. Can anyone help me out?

2. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

I haven't played a 6505 but I have an Archon 50 combo that's not going anywhere. I replaced the stock speaker with a creamback and it sounds killer.

esowden and DreamTheaterRules like this.
  3. DreamTheaterRules

DreamTheaterRules Former Lyricist for Calhoun Tubbs Silver Supporting Member

Yep, I have a head and it's the best amp I've ever played. I tried a 25 combo a year ago and didn't love it. I KNOW it was just because f the speaker. Drop a Scumback M or J, a Warehouse M65, a Celestion Creamback M, or a J Type in there, and you have instant awesome! Archon is a GREAT amp!

4. bobwl

bobwl Member

If my choices were between the 6505 and an Archon, the Archon would win hands down. Also, I put a creamback neo in my Archon 25 and that thing is great. The Archon seems to work really well with the creamback, not that the stock speaker is bad it is just better with the creamback.

5. Silvertree

I have a chance to buy a brand new Archon for $700. I was pretty on the 6505+ before I saw this. I appreciate the opinions.

6. esowden

esowden Member

You won't regret your decision, especially at that price. Had an Archon 50 combo. I upgraded the speaker to a creamback - wow! Sold it to buy a 65amps Whiskey. Big (expensive) mistake! 3 amps later - I'm back with an Archon 50 head. Love those Sewell designs!

Simon likes this.
  7. Mike Lenning

Mike Lenning Supporting Member

You can't pass up this deal!

8. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

Can you tell me how well the Archon takes pedals when using the cleaner channel? thanks.

9. mesa/kramer

mesa/kramer Member

$700?

Jump on that Nao!!!

That's a $1,650 amp new

If you don't end up liking it you can sell it for a profit easy

10. jmontgomery

jmontgomery Supporting Member

The Archon takes pedals very well. It has one of the sweetest clean channels of any amp out there.

Simon and jpage like this.
  11. jpage

jpage Member

I used several and they sounded great. The Archon's clean channel is almost worth the price of admission alone. Really.

Simon likes this.
  12. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

How does the heavy channel react with the gain dialed back? It seems to react and clean up with your gtr volume, but I don't see any demos where they back down on the gain.

13. jpage

jpage Member

Same as most high gain heads (EVH, Mesa Mark, 5150)--they clean up to a point, but not as well as lower gain amps.

Simon likes this.
  14. Silvertree

I got the Archon 50 and an Orange Crush 20RT for $698, tax included.

Simon likes this.
  15. Simon

Simon Supporting Member

That's a crazy good deal even for just the Archon, I just recently scored a 25 and I'm very impressed so far, I dial the gain back with my strat on the dirty side and it cleans up real nice with my guitar volume, but I use treble bleeds on my guitars.

16. Phil M

Phil M Member

Old dead thread, I know ... but I’m curious which Creamback you switched to. M65 or H75?

Omega1397 likes this.
  17. Omega1397

Omega1397 Member

I have a 25W Archon combo (I actually had the 50W too, but it was too heavy to carry around for jam sessions with my friends, so I just returned the 50W and kept the 25W. I have tube amps at home anyway) and I also had a 6505+ 112, which I returned to get an EVH 5150iii 50W combo (I got the 6505 used, and it turned out to look ugly as hell from the condition)

The 6505+ is more thunderous, mean, evil sounding. Great if you like death metal. It chugs like mad. Sounds like weeping demon tears.

The Archon is very versatile, and has a nice metalcore tone. I too swapped the stock speaker with Creamback H's, and it sounds absolute KILLER now. I also got the Doug's tubes preamp tube kit, and some JJ 6l6GC's in it. Archon sounds way better now with these upgrades.

Meanwhile, the 5150iii is a beaut as well. It's perfect for modern metal tones, and the blue channel boosted with a tubescreamer is something I absolutely love. To me, the 5150iii is one of those amps that everyone should have in their arsenal, like an essential tool in a toolbox.

In sum, 6505+ if you want more mean and sinister death metal tone. Archon if you want something more versatile, metalcore. I would also look into a 5150iii though...seriously!

18. dwk302

dwk302 Member

IME the OD channel on the 6505 kills the Archon’s OD channel in every way. The 6505 was thick, punchy and just sounded “powerful.” I actually hated the Archon’s OD character. Sounded boxy to my ears. The cleans on the Archon were better.

mbell75 likes this.
  19. jpage

jpage Member

The cleans on the Archon aren't just better, they are worth the price of admission alone. I don't know how an OD channel "kills" anything but I've had both amps a couple of times (don't own either currently) and I just think the Archon is a better amp in every single possible way. Yeah the PV is "thicker" I guess but all that means is with a band you can get lost in the mix.

Darkness likes this.
  20. ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt

ChicagoMusicExchangeMatt Member

I own the Archon 50 currently and have owned 6505 heads and the combo, and the Archon smokes it in every aspect. You can get useable tone at lower volumes, the clean channel is ridiculous for pedals, and the gain channel is just perfect in a band mix.