PRS Artist top...damn!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Marcel, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Marcel

Marcel Member

2. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Member

3. suttree

suttree Member

yow!! that's worth having, for sure

4. jzucker

jzucker Supporting Member

does it make it sound any better?

5. Doug

Doug Member

Gorgeous! Is that a PS? I've never seen a production PRS with a blade switch besides a 513 and the new SAS.

6. Doug

Doug Member

Why all the hate for PRS guitars with nice tops? LP bursts, Thorns, Diriskills, etc. are praised and gushed over, but post a pic of a PRS and you're guaranteed to get responses like this. :confused:

7. sw686blue

sw686blue Member

That's spectacular!

8. Antroid

Antroid Member

Yeah, it has to be. It has a stoptail and a blade switch not to mention that obvious PS quality top...:worried

9. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

It probably doesn't make it sound better but it sure does make it look better and there's nothing wrong with that.

10. jzucker

Agreed, But the big question is: Does it detract from the sound. Everyone gets so excited about the looks but does it sound as good or better?

11. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

I don't see why it would detract from the sound... that's a beautiful piece of wood right there, if nothing else... thanks for the pic.

12. jzucker

So you don't think the top effects the tone? Any piece of wood is going to effect the sound. That's why I'm always suspicious of these gorgeous burl and spalted wood tops. In the case of this guitar, it probably doesn't adversely effect the tone and you're right, it's gorgeous. I was trying to make a point that we all oooooooh and aaaaaah (including me) me over a gorgeous piece of wood but we really don't know what it sounds like...

13. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Supporting Member

2 things:

1. I yet have to see anyone convincingly explain how an ugly piece of maple sounds better or worth than a beautiful piece of maple, all other things but looks being equal
    2. The pic and the post was purely targeting the looks of the guitar, not the sound or the impact of the top on the tone... at least that's how I see it.

Your point is well taken in terms of making sure not to sacrifice the sound for the looks...

14. Serious Poo

Serious Poo Armchair Rocket Scientist Graffiti Existentialist Gold Supporting Member

It's a PRS Private Stock, not a production model. Technically, it's a Custom 24 with a non standard bridge & switching assembly. Also, pretty guitars can sound good, sometimes exceptionally good. The Burl Private Stock HBII I own is the best sounding hollowbody I've ever played. However, what sounds good to me may not sound good to you. FWIW, I've found that Burled Maple tends to smooth the highs out a bit, which I like. I find a lot of guitars too shrill sounding for my tastes.

15. jzucker

Burl and spalted wood are sometimes beautiful because of insect or mold infestation. Whether this is good or bad is "eye of the beholder" kind of thing. I used to be adamently against spalted, burled wood but recently owned a Roscoe bass which had a burled, spalted box elder top on a ash body with a maple neck and spalted purpleheart fingerboard. This combination of wood, I would have previously speculated would sound awful but it happened to be one of the best basses I've ever played.

On the other hand, I have played gorgeous furniture guitars that sounded like crap...Just for the record, I've never played a PRS that didn't sound great.

[​IMG]

16. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

not all beautifully figured guitars sound great

not all plain janes sound good either

personally, I tend toward the plain janes, but that's just me

there's room for both in the world I would guess :)

ps...beautiful top !

17. LaXu

LaXu Member

Not a big fan of that type grain. The stripes are too thin and uniform for my tastes. It somehow reminds me of a Photoshop filter I have that creates fur textures. :D

18. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

Stunning guitar.

No one on the planet can determine whether a piece of wood is going to sound good or not just by looking at it. I don't think the original poster asked if we thought their guitar looked like it sounds good.

19. Marcel

Marcel Member

Exactly, how could I know if it sounds great, as I'm not the owner of this beauty..I posted it just for looks. Funny how this thread took a turn...:D

20. Marcel

Marcel Member

Nik Huber Flying Dolphin Limited....:dude

[​IMG]