PRS Body Thickness DGT, 594, McCarty

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jason Carter, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Jason Carter

Jason Carter Supporting Member

Does anyone have any info on PRS body thicknesses. Trying to figure out how a DGT compares to a McCarty and 594 body thickness wise.

2. jiml

jiml Member

I'm guessing they are close, all derived from the McCarty.

3. kingsleyd

kingsleyd Frikkin genyus Gold Supporting Member

They are all nominally the same, McCarty spec. There might be some variation in terms of how they come off the line, but with PRS that variation is usually quite small.

4. That70'sbro

That70'sbro Member

My own editing here. PRS website is skimpier on some details compared to other makes:

McCarty 94-current, 1/8th of an inch thicker [than 'standard' models] mahogany back...

Maybe not much help since present core line doesn't include any model with the title 'Standard'.

http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/index.html

I have a 94 McCarty I bought 7-8 years ago. Generally in body thickness it's supposed to be a little more in the direction of a Les Paul. I'm sure I played one or more PRS standard models while I was shopping on PRS vs Gibson LPs. You'd probably barely notice the body thickness difference (McCarty vs 'Standard' PRS) without prior knowledge. (I don't remember a distinct difference btwn the two on body thickness.) I'm pretty persnickety and sensitive about the details myself -but what it usually comes down to for me is the neck. Ended up with the McCarty cause I was already aware of PRS consistency in QC, distinctive and playable neck profile (wide/fat, and I have small hands), nice vintagey style HB dragon pickups, and PRS being able to improve upon some iffy design elements that Gibson can't or won't address. Would have loved to pick up a nice Les Paul but they were just so dodgy one guitar to the next. Maybe someday.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
    C-4 likes this.
  5. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    My '06 McCarty & '08 DGT are both 1 5/16 thick from maple top to mahogany body when measured right by the strap button on the end of the guitar. My '16 594 double cut measures 1 1/2 thick at the end strap button.

6. Jason Carter

Thanks you sir!

7. Jason Carter

Just out of curiosity, being that you own all three. How would you compare the DGT and 594?

8. doublescale1

I'd say that the 594 really is the modern take on a LP, I know, semi-heresy, if not outright heresy. But that's what I hear - the 594 will get you 99% of the way to that low LP grunt, any closer and only those with dog-ears amongst us could tell you which be which. The DGT doesn't get that low - it does seem to live more firmly in the mid-mids, and top of the low-mids area - in a band mix it will cut through loud and clear. I forgot to mention that the DGT and the regular McCarty can sound similar, but I have a set of Hyper Vintage Railhammer Naylor pickups in my McCarty, so that guitar is not as hot as the PRS DGT pickups, but they are both very vintage voiced.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Jim S, Trio and AtomicBlaze like this.
  9. Jason Carter

Thank you that what I needed to know. I had a RW McCarty that I really liked the play ability, could get used to the mids. I suspected the DGT having those same mids after watching numerous online videos. Think I will pursue a 594.

10. doublescale1

Yes - I'd say that the DGT & McCarty will sit "higher" in the band mix than the 594, for sure.

11. Puckbucker

Puckbucker Member

Agree with doublescale, but th3e 594 is not murky sounding - at least through the right amp it's sparkly as well (as are some good LPs)
    The DGT has more variety of tones in that its pickups are different (hot (but not crazy hot) bridge and smokier neck pickup). Kinda like a Tele but a DGT is no Tele. Hard to put into words but the DGT really has grown on me. The 2 guitars have much in common but very meaningfull differences. A guy at a well known internet guitar store described the DGT to me as more "nasal" (maybe less thick is a better word).

As noted, the DGT's body is less thick than the 594, has a longer scale length, a trem (so less wood near the bridge, different bridge, pickups, tuners and neck carve. So it may look similar to the 594 but there are many meaningful distinctions so I having both of these guitars is not redundant in my view.

12. Mpcoluv

Mpcoluv Supporting Member

As a reference, the DGT is quite a bit thinner than a regular Les Paul.

13. C-4

C-4 Member

I love Red Bank, NJ! Florida now Europe later
    There is a page somewhere on the PRS web forum where someone compared the thickness of a 594 to other PRS guitars, and the difference is easily seen.

I tried both types of 594's, the Dc and the SC. The SC had more of a LP voice, but I couldn't get along with the asymetrical neck carve, despite everyone else liking it.

Instead, I purchased a P245, which is about as thick, body-wise as the 594, but with a pattern neck, that feels to me, to be as close to a real '59 LP burst as any neck I have played, aside from the real bursts I have been luck enough to play.

14. skhan007

skhan007 Supporting Member

Oh man, you're the exact guy we need to hear from! You own all three! OK- I've got a 2009 Nitro finished McCarty with 57/08s and I've also swapped in a pair of slightly less aggressive 53/10s. I love this guitar and it sounds amazing. I've been really curious about the 594 (best looking PRS model IMHO), but that is such a huge investment, that I wasn't sure if it would be appreciably different in tone than my awesome sounding McCarty. In other words, would shelling out $3K only amount to a very slight difference in tone with the 594 vs. the McCarty? Curious on your thoughts and thanks in advance!

15. doublescale1

I'll give it a try - I find the 594 to be 98%/99% of the way to a Les Paul, we can quibble on just how close, but in a live band mix, you'd be hard pressed to tell a difference. It has a lot more presence in the low mids than my McCarty, but not as much low grunt as my LP (closer to low end LP than a McCarty - depending on pickups a LP's extended low has often been labeled muddy, YMMV). The other key feature to the 594 is it's unique coil tap that looses min. vol. from the full HB choice. The Low wind pickups factory tapped can get a 594 very close to Tele-bridge/Strat-neck territory - the McCarty does not come w/factory coil tap/split. I have Push/Push pots on my McCarty to take them Series/Parallel and I find that more useful than a true noisy coil split, while still giving some nod to a single coil type tone in Parallel mode. I do think that the fact that the McCarty does not get into the low-mids like a 594 or a LP can be a distinct advantage depending on the rest of your bands mix - if you have another HB guitarist, having just that little bit of sonic separation between the two guitars can make for a clearer, stronger band mix. So while I do own the 594, DGT & a McCarty, I make the decision on which one to play based on the set list needs and what the other guitarist in my band will be playing. They each have their own voice, I just try to find the one that serves the songs the best (sometimes the right answer might be my Strat). Hope that helps.

skhan007 likes this.
  16. cycler

cycler Member

Well, for sure this post helps me. Thanks for the detailed info.

17. jiml

jiml Member

Is this the SC or DC 594?

18. doublescale1

I own a doublecut 594
    [​IMG]

Samba, AaeCee and jiml like this.
  19. jiml

jiml Member

Nice!

I have had no luck getting that low end flub from a DC bodied PRS, I love that shape though...I gotta say that the switch position is just odd looking on that shape.

20. SuperReverb2

SuperReverb2 Member

I have a 2011 PRS DGT and a brand new PRS McCarty 594. The DGT is 8.1 lbs and is basically an inch and a half thick when measured at the strap button. 1 7/16's to be exact. I purchased the guitar new at Wildwood Guitars in October of 2011. The DGT has always been about the mids. Tons of them. Always loved the bridge pickup, but had a serious love/hate relationship with the neck. Very dark. woofy, almost muddy. Surprised at the smoky quality of that pickup in such a mid rich guitar. Still, with the coil tap and the treble bleed caps, I was able to make it work (with some serious pickup height tweaking and adjustment) on a regular basis for 7 years. I recently installed a set of Lollar Low Wind Imperials in my DGT. (prior to purchasing the McCarty 594) To date I have been happy with the change. The pickups are much more balanced now, and there is a nicer clarity to the notes, (especially in the neck) that seemed lacking before. The mids are still there, but seem "tamer" than before. The guitar is slightly brighter overall as well.
    My brand new McCarty 594 (purchased new at the Poco Long & McQuade last Monday) is lighter than my DGT and measures 1 9/16's at the strap button. Don't have the exact weight of the 594 but I'm assuming it's in the high 7's somewhere as there is a definite difference when you pick it up and when it's on the shoulder. As stated earlier the McCarty 594 is definitely rooted in LP territory. Great neck pickup tones firmly rooted in low wind land where the high notes have a beautiful, rounded "sing" to them and the low notes allow the bass to seep through as only good low wind pickups can do. The bridge pickup has all the zip, clarity and zing that one would expect from a good sounding low wind, yet there seems to be a nice, very musical, high mid character to it as well. I also found the neck and the bridge very balanced right out of the box. I was a little surprised to see no treble bleed caps in the 594 circuit (can always install those down the road if need be I guess) but I certainly didn't have any trouble getting great tones out of all the pickup settings without them.
    All in all, I prefer the McCarty 594 over the stock DGT or even the DGT with the Lollar Low Wind Imperials. Two flavours of great really, but in the end, the clarity, snap, bite, and spank (while all the time remaining oh so toneful) of the 594 has won me over for now. I will keep the DGT (and continue to play it for now) but I can't help thinking there might be a time in the future when I let the DGT go. I love mids, but after 7 years of pretty much nothing else, it is very "ear" refreshing to play a guitar that still has nice mids (the 594) yet seems to offer very nice treble, bass and clarity at the same time.

:)

Puckbucker and MattC like this.