PRS Brent Mason, 2nd DGT, or something else?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by halliganjoel, Feb 27, 2015.

1. halliganjoel

halliganjoel Member

Hey all!
    I don't post very often because with some patience and the search button I can usually find almost anything.

I just sold some gear and got everything shipped out this morning. I have a no new electric guitars policy for 2015 but since the purchase is from gear sales its all good. Here's the rub.

Haven't had a chance to get my hands on a Brent Mason as of now but I'm pretty interested. I don't really like the PRS Wide/fat neck and I see the Mason has a "Pattern" neck which I understand to be similar but with ever so slighty more "V" and less "U". It is the main electric I'm GASsing for.

I LOVE my DGT. Matter of fact just got it signed by Dave and Paul themselves here in Memphis. Neck carve/Nut width/Jumbo frets? Winners all. I'd love to have a second one to set up with a Tremol-no or even a block for other tunings as thats a small quirk the floating tremolo has.

Or....are there any other suggestions?

Also-I watched Dave play a 408 and do you want to know what it sounded like? The same way he sounds playing through a DGT or a LP jr. :bounced

2. Skeet skeet!

Skeet skeet! Member

I would never get an identical guitar of one i already owned, but that's me.

3. rummy

rummy Member

Agreed.

4. SW33THAND5

SW33THAND5 Member

Get a PRS with soapbar p'ups

5. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

I've always been the type to want a second "#1" of a very similar type, but potentially different pickups or body woods. Dunno why, it's just how I'm wired. When I was gigging, I was primarily a Strat player and always had 2 Strats. I'm now deeply into a PRS Studio that I bought last year, and am considering buying a second that I'd put a different pickup into, because this guitar feels so doggone right. I don't gig, but I'm in the situation where I LOVE my Studio for gain levels up to AC/DC. Then the bridge pickup falls apart a bit, but the neck and middle are still strong. I love the tone of the bridge pickup at lower gain. I'm looking for a second specifically to get those neck and middle pickup tones, but put a higher gain pickup in the bridge.

What would you do with a second DGT? If they're both identical, one will still get all of the play time (trust me - I had two Hamer T-51's I set up identically with a micrometer. One was still my favorite) Would you do something different with one of them, or keep them both stock? Different body wood, or the same? If you're going for two that are absolutely the same, and you're not in a gig where that guitar is necessary for the success of your performance, I'd get a more different instrument.

6. halliganjoel

halliganjoel Member

If I did go ahead and get the second DGT I would like to block/tremol-no/drop bridge and raise saddles to turn into a harttail. Not being able to alter tuning in a hurry is the ONLY chink in the DGT's armor IMO.

I don't have a strat-type guitar and have never bonded with one. DGT brought me back to PRS and I'm hoping Brent Mason will bring me the strat I've always wanted.

7. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

+ another, but PRS makes a great guitar and the Brent Mason looks like a really dynamic package, so that would be my vote.

8. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

If you're looking more strat-ish, I'd look at the (now discontinued) Swamp Ash Studios, NF3's, or DC3's. I think of my (non-Swamp Ash) Studio as a SuperStrat, but it may be a bit too close to the DGT.

9. Trea

Trea Member

I would second the NF3 or SAS. Love my DGT but I still really want a NF3.

10. halliganjoel

halliganjoel Member

I actually had an NF3 and it was a DOG! I bet I held onto it for 1 month and let it go. The bridge pickup with the tone just rolled off a touch sounded bad ass. The neck pickup, however, was woofy as all hell. I could get an okay sound out of it with the volume rolled back to about halfway but past that it was mud city. To me the best thing that guitar had going for it was the Position 2 quack.
    I know its works like a champ for Herring but, alas, I am not him.

The other thing, albeit less important, is my personal DGT is a monster! Nothing else really even compares to it. I've such a great experience its why I tried to NF3 to scratch the "strat itch". The Brent Mason is another attempt to try and get there. Some would say- "get a strat" but I've been down that road. Bought and sold probably 8 or 9 of them since I started and I just plain don't bond with them.

11. halliganjoel

halliganjoel Member

Well, I snagged a Brent Mason out of the emporium. When it gets here I'll make my first NGD post.

In the meanwhile I'll begin plotting on another DGT for next year. And, maybe, they'll finally do a DGT Stoptail as a non-private stock.

Thanks for your input and votes!!

12. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

I've had my DGT for 3 years, and my Strats always end up doing the gigs. I've tried, and really like the DGT, but since I got my Brent Mason, it's been my go to PRS. I played it 11 gigs in a row, and didn't miss my Strat. It plays like my DGT, but gives me more of a Stratty tone than the DGT, and also gives me great HB tone, that never overpowers the S/C's. Great versatile guitar.
    [​IMG]

13. rickcard71

rickcard71 Member

14. halliganjoel

halliganjoel Member

I decided to report back since I saw some replies I hadn't read yet.

I did go ahead and get a Brent Mason. Got it home and tried to love it. Flat out didn't. Sold it to a Nashville guy. I think it was the "wideness" in the Pattern aka WideFat neck.
    So now I'm back to a 2nd DGT as the main option. I just love the neck shape and jumbo frets so much that nothing else pleases me.

New plan: find a DGT (w/moons) block the trem, bone nut, probably WCR pickups. My goal is to make a it a lighter weight les paul.

15. dmkz

dmkz Member

I love my Brent Mason!

16. shadyg

shadyg Supporting Member

I have a DGT that I've set up for dive only; with a 1/4" thick small wooden block superglued in front of the trem block and tightened springs. I've also switched the pickups for 57/08's. I really like the way these mods sound on the DGT platform, but for a Les Paulish type of tone, I'd suggest looking at the SC 245

17. saf_1

saf_1 Member

I had an NF3 (seafoam green - a beauty), that I really liked - thought the Narrowfield p'ups were great. However I sold it, and then replaced it (later) with an SAS Narrowfield, which I think is damn near the perfect instrument! Wide range of tones, not muddy, light weight, great (pattern regular) neck profile. I have a variety of other instruments that I love, but this has become my "go to" guitar, because it is virtually devoid of any flaws!

I think tonally, it's a much better sounding instrument than the NF3, and I believe much of that has to do with the difference between the NF3's korina body, and the somewhat brighter swamp ash body of the SAS. They are two very similar instruments in design and construction, but the SAS is just crisper and more present - and louder. Of course the SAS has the Narrowfields mounted directly to the body, and the NF3 has them mounted to the pickguard - but I still think the the body wood is the main differentiator. Anyway, if (OP) you are looking to get anohter PRS, the SAS Narrowfield would definitely be one I'd consider!