PRS Buying Advice

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by squawken, Jan 7, 2008.

1. squawken

squawken Member

Hey Everyone,

I want to buy a Mccarty with a trem bar on it, and I know there a few at certain dealers on the internet. However, my local music store is extremely accommodating and contacted PRS about availability. And as such, PRS has none. But they suggested taking a Custom 22, and putting on a Mccarty neck, pickups, 3-way toggle, and the trem bar. In your opinions, will this sound the same as the Mccarty? I know Mccarty has a slightly thicker body, and was curious if it makes that much a difference? I'm looking for a thicker sound, and didn't care for the 5-way rotary on the Customs. I like to play with both humbuckers going full together. I'm hoping some members from Birds and Moons read this. For whatever reason I can't post on that site, but that is a different story. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. PFCG

PFCG Member

thicker body makes a difference. Id sa if you want something closer to a les paul, get the mccarty, if you want something more modern look into the CE24. its easy to change the switches etc.

Id get that McCarty Korina while they are avaliable

3. big mike

big mike Fixed Bias Moderator Staff Member

A Custom 22 just doesn't get it done. The MCCarty's have a special magic to them.

Def. get the McCarty trem, or order a David Grissom Sig (a tweaked McTrem with an extra volume.

4. cmatthes

cmatthes Member

Agreed 1000% on the DGT.

BUY THAT!

5. atquinn

atquinn Supporting Member

What they said; look for a DGT. Since you like playing with both Hums, the 2 volumes (exclusive to the DGT) could come in very useful.

-Austin

6. squawken

squawken Member

Thanks for the advice guys!

7. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

I dunno, I really like my Custom 22. It has the trem and McCarty wiring and sounds as good as any guitar I have including my Gibby. I was looking for a McCarty and ended up with this and I have been super happy with it.

[​IMG]

8. big mike

Don't get me wrong, my only remaining PRS is my Custom 22 with mcSwitching and trem. But it's a mutant beast that thinks she's a Mac, and I'm not telling her. I've NEVER heard another as thick and vocal sounding as mine. I bought a second one, and it was a great guitar, but didn't have that *it* mine does. Played a dozen or so since...nope.

Had a McCarty Trem (wish I kept) and it's got it. Something about that big back I think. Every one I've tried nails it. The SCT didn't. The DGT being a nitro McT with 2 volumes should be really special.

9. frankencat

frankencat Gold Supporting Member

I would def like to try a DGT. Or even a J Hiland. The SC didn't do it for me either FWIW.

10. squawken

squawken Member

How would a Standard stack up against the Mccarty and Custom 22, since the entire body is Mahogany?

11. big mike

basically the same as stacking an SG next to a Les Paul..

Less highs and lows, more mids. The Standard is the perfect 'rock' guitar IMO.

12. squawken

squawken Member

Is it possible that the salesman at PRS is just trying to push the Custom 22? I played a regular Mccarty against a Custom 22 with Dragons in it, and I really preferred the Mccarty.

13. jcoggins7

jcoggins7 Member

Are you sure that they were Dragons, which are uncovered, or were they Dragon IIs, which are covered?

14. big mike

well yeah, if he can't get you a mccarty trem, he's going to want to get you something close enough that you'll spend the dough with him. Doing his job well actually.

Wait...I read that wrong.. the sales guy at PRS? Doubtful. Although the CU22 is their best selling model.

like I said, if you want a McTrem, order a David Grissom Sig. You'll be good to go.

15. big mike

Have to be D2's. D1's aren't stock in anything.

16. squawken

squawken Member

Is the DGT as heavy as the Mccarty? Nice full tone?

17. big mike

I haven't played one yet. But it essentially a McCarty trem tweaked for David Grissom's taste (and since he essentially spec'd the first ones...)

18. squawken

squawken Member

Thanks for all your help Big Mike!

19. wilerty

wilerty Member

I suggest you wait about 10 days ... There might be some changes announced at NAMM that affect the McCarty and the CU22. Your dealer knows ... ask them.

20. Sniper-V

Sniper-V Member

I would pick up a DGT!