PRS CE-22 Dual Coils Taps & 3-way Toggle

Slooj

I have a PRS CE-22 with Dragon IIs which I really like but it has the 5-way rotary, which I'm not fond of at all. I'm going to swap the rotary for a 3-way toggle and a push/pull on both the volume and tone pots. I'd like the push/pull on the volume pot to coil tap the neck and the push/pull on the tone pot to coil tap the bridge. Is this possible?

There are several wiring diagrams I've found for replacing the 5-way rotary with a 3-way toggle but I can't find one which matches the requirements above.

Is it possible to tap the pups individually and when they are tapped, have the outer coils on and the inner coils off. If so, can someone post a wiring diagram please.

Many thanks.

eddie famine

I know it's possible because I had it done on my CU 22. It's great, I love it, but I didn't do it. I had some who knows what their doing do it . Also, I didn't have the stock pickups , I have Bareknuckle Mules , which are great, perhaps even greater, but I don't know if that affects the installation .

standard24

I have a 92' CE, which has had the Dragon II's removed, and replaced by Modern Eagles. A GFS humbucker sized P90 was installed in the middle (ala Les Paul Custom). The tone control "pull" activates the middle P90, and a separate toggle selects only it, or a combination with the other two. A "pull" on the volume knob activates a split of the Eagles coils, and they are selected with another 3 way toggle.

I have no idea how these things were accomplished.

ProfRhino

No problem technically, as has been pointed out.
Still, I would not recommend it since you'll lose that nice volume pot, most/all push/pulls I've seen have average pots at best. A non-issue for the tone control, but for volume ...
I would either use the newer DGT splitting scheme which works extremely well with those split resistors (just borrow the tone / split part) or, if you really want to knock yourself out with options, use Duncan Triple Shots.
http://www.prsguitars.com/csc/schematics/2015/dgt.pdf
http://www.seymourduncan.com/accessories/all
ymmv,
Rhino

Slooj

Many thanks for the diagram DrewH. As the Dragon II pickups are PRS 3-wire pickups (see pic below) and bearing in mind that PRS flip the polarity of the bridge pickup, which color wires from each Dragon II pickup match the wires on your diagram?

Here's a pic of the color codes:

ProfRhino, thanks for your advice. If the push/pull volume doesn't work out I'll just tap the neck pup with the push/pull tone pot and use the original volume pot. No doubt I'll be back on here asking for a wiring diagram for that setup ;)

ProfRhino

Look at Drew's diagram.
Each PU has two wires soldered together, effectively making them the red (aka split) cable in your table (there are two red wires per PU in your table, see how that correlates ?).
As for the flipped magnet, try black & white as written in your table.
50% chance, either you're lucky and your middle position is healthy and strong (in phase), then you're done.
If the middle position is out of phase, just flip black & white on one PU, no matter which one.
It's not like you would blow up a nucular Bush or something if you mess up ... :D
Usually easy to fix.
Just make sure not to overheat the PP switches when soldering, and keep excess solder from getting inside.
good luck,
Rhino

Trending Topics