• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PRS CE22 or Collings 290?

darchirnoj

On the fence about these two.... I know, I know......different animals.
Just want some opinions.
CE22 comes with dragon II humbuckers
Collings 290 comes with 2 Lollar p-90s
I don't play live. I'm not a shredder.
Singer/songwriter only.
Thanks,
darchirnoj
(also have this posted over at HC)

02Singlecut

Both really fine instruments. The CE will get you into a litle bit of Strat/Tele territory. P-90's in the Collins will have their own voice also!

Foxtrot

If you really are on the fence 50/50 & could use either to equal effect, flip a coin.

Best 2 out of 3 wins it.

mad dog

Silver Supporting Member
Can you try both? I don't know the PRS, but have tried several 290s. They have a very cool neck. Not as slim as those I mostly play, but if fits so perfectly in my hand. Playability is such a personal thing, it'd be better if you could try both.

GregoryL

I think it depends on what you play - singer-songwriter can be a pretty broad category. If it's at all a roots / americana type of thing, I'd go with the P-90's. I love my 290.

pedalcr8z

I wouldn't compare the actual guitars as much as the concept of if YOU prefer a humbucker sound or a P-90- sound as you'll never get either to sound like the other.
I am hopelessy hooked on single coils extra detail be it my Nocaster or Collings 290........I've tried many times to live with humbuckers and just don't care for their muddiness perhaps because I sold high end hi-fi for 36 years!

84Bravo

The different scale lengths of these two guitars will do more to color the tone than will the choice of pickups, in my opinion. There's a completly different harmonic palette to each. If you're primarily a songwriter, you might hear this nuance more than most. It's there. Good luck.

52ftbuddha

I would buy any collings sight unseen, I would not do so with a PRS. I recently had a 290 made for me and thought I had a problem with grounding/static ( I did not ) On the eve of NAMM Collings were ready to ship me a second guitar to try and I would send back the other upon satisfaction. The quality control is the best of any instrument I have ever bought at any price. I do not have a relationship with them as a company but will reccomend them unreservedly. They are an example of American manufacturing at its finest.

rob

Last edited:

Trandy

Silver Supporting Member
I would buy any collings sight unseen, I would not do so with a PRS. I recently had a 290 made for me and thought I had a problem with grounding/static ( I did not ) On the eve of NAMM Collings were ready to ship me a second guitar to try and I would send back the other upon satisfaction. The quality control is the best of any instrument I have ever bought at any price. I do not have a relationship with them as a company but will reccomend them unreservedly. They are an example of American manufacturing at its finest.

rob
+1000

And don't forget....you can order a Collings 290 with humbuckers if you want. :)

pedalcr8z

In my 40+ years of playing I would describe scale length difference as "mostly" comfort differences........while I certainly agree that it can make a sonic difference also it would never approach the absolute polar opposite sonic difference between a PRS humbucker and a Lollar P-90no matter what scale length or guitar they are mounted in.

84Bravo

In my 40+ years of playing I would describe scale length difference as "mostly" comfort differences........while I certainly agree that it can make a sonic difference also it would never approach the absolute polar opposite sonic difference between a PRS humbucker and a Lollar P-90no matter what scale length or guitar they are mounted in.
Well sir, in my 35+ years of playing (once I left the drums and picked up the guitar) I would beg to differ. All other conditions being equal, I believe if you played both these guitars at lower volume, clean, there would be a harmonic difference attributed to the difference in scale length that would trump the sonic difference between a humbucker and a P-90. We're certainly entitled to believe what our individual ears tell us. I pointed this out to the OP only because he said he is mostly a songwriter, and as such I imagined that he might be playing more first position chords where I think the difference would be more obvious. Just sayin'.

pedalcr8z

Well sir, in my 35+ years of playing (once I left the drums and picked up the guitar) I would beg to differ. All other conditions being equal, I believe if you played both these guitars at lower volume, clean, there would be a harmonic difference attributed to the difference in scale length that would trump the sonic difference between a humbucker and a P-90. We're certainly entitled to believe what our individual ears tell us. I pointed this out to the OP only because he said he is mostly a songwriter, and as such I imagined that he might be playing more first position chords where I think the difference would be more obvious. Just sayin'.
No offense intended towards you.........we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one:agree

darchirnoj

My favorite guitar is my little Gibson Melody Maker (single dog ear p-90). I like that the p-90 are very responsive to changes in attack & clean up well when I manipulate the volume & tone knob (1 of each).
The PRS would probably offer a lot more in the area of versatility due to the nature of the pickup & that 5-way rotary switch.
My wife & I went to the Collings factory tour back in September. It was a little out of our way since we were headed towards Houston to see Joe Bonamassa that next day. Now, my wife was in highschool band (All-State Clarinet 3 yrs. in a row), & somewhere down the line, she really grew to despise music. Needless to say, she's not very much into anything music or guitars. She really didn't want to go to the Collings factory, but she went for me. Well, as soon as we walked in the first room, she had this awe-struck look on her face. She thought that it was awesome! Since then, she's ordered t-shirts, caps, & mugs, both for me & her, to wear.
Recently when we got news that we were gonna get a little $$ back with our taxes, she expressed her interest in me getting a collings....only problem is that I had just recently ordered a PRS CE22 from Guitar Center (still returnable). I can't afford both, it's either one or the other.
While this is not a terrible problem to have, it's still something that I'd like to resolve rather quickly.
Problem with Collings is that there are not any to try locally (closest place is in Wimberly, about a 5 hour drive, & it would be store owner's own personal 290, since they mostly do special order only).
Another issue lies with the possible absence of a return policy when ordering a Collings. How can I know that I'd like it if I don't get to play one? The only thing that I can summize is that it would feel very comfortable to me since I spend so much time using my melody maker, even now that I own the PRS.
The CE is a great guitar. It definitely offers a lot with regards to sound variation. It's not as full sounding unplugged the way my melody maker is, but the pickups make up for that when plugged in.
thanks,
darchirnoj

pedalcr8z

Return the PRS and buy the 290 with absolutely no reservations....they just don't get much better and you KNOW you are already a P-90 fan but if you haven't heard Lollar P-90's you are in for sonic ear candy!

84Bravo

Totally agree with pedalcr8z on this one. Collings. No, I don't own one, nor have I ever owned a PRS (nor would I), but I have owned four Collings acoustics and I can say that they were top shelf. I've played a 290 in a store, and it had the neck on it. THE neck. If you know what I mean.

amc

That would be like comparing apples to oranges................

2 very different instruments, bolt-on vs. set neck, P90's vs. humbuckers

That said, my Collings 290 is a step up qualitywise from a typical PRS CE and that is reflected in the pricing.

darchirnoj

Hey, thanks guys.
U know, it's funny.
I posted this over at HC as well, & the general consensus there was PRS.
However, it seems that most of the comments that favored the PRS were those that came from gigging musicians, which I am not.
I just want something that makes me smile when I grab it, something that I can't wait to get home to play, & something that allows me to be individual, but that screams MOJO!

52ftbuddha

Send the PRS back you will never regret it. I have played 5 290's so far three at Buffalo Brothers in CA one at Pioneer music in OR and the one I own that was ordered sight unseen. I am 43 years old and have owned more guitars than any idiot ever should, some very expensive. Most manufacturers products vary greatly in sound and quality PRS and Collings are two that I can think of that do not have this problem. Care in material selection and a good QA program is my suspicion as to why. I am a little biased as QA is my line of work. So beyond the two instruments being of equal quality it comes down to the company they represent. If I had my choice it would be with Collings, their dealer network is more in keeping with traditional sale rather than mass market. They have amazing customer service as my previous post indicates. The quantities are not such that they are cheapened by quantity. The parts that they use are not specialized and require the customer to pay excessively for replacements. When I call them they give a great deal of attention to the customer no matter who you are. I would suggest a call to PRS, it is really an issue of scale.

rob

MartinC

My favorite guitar is my little Gibson Melody Maker (single dog ear p-90). I like that the p-90 are very responsive to changes in attack & clean up well when I manipulate the volume & tone knob (1 of each).
My wife & I went to the Collings factory tour back in September. It was a little out of our way since we were headed towards Houston to see Joe Bonamassa that next day. Now, my wife was in highschool band (All-State Clarinet 3 yrs. in a row), & somewhere down the line, she really grew to despise music. Needless to say, she's not very much into anything music or guitars. She really didn't want to go to the Collings factory, but she went for me. Well, as soon as we walked in the first room, she had this awe-struck look on her face. She thought that it was awesome! Since then, she's ordered t-shirts, caps, & mugs, both for me & her, to wear.
I just want something that makes me smile when I grab it, something that I can't wait to get home to play, & something that allows me to be individual, but that screams MOJO!
All of the above says Collings 290 to me. I've never tried a Collings, and I'm a current PRS owner (Mira ... without doubt the most characterful, articulate tone from any PRS I've tried ... 'nother story). But, if you love P90 tone (now that I can relate to!), you have a great story to tell about visiting Collings (sounds like it inspired you both), you want something a little individual and special, then it sounds like the Collings will deliver.

If you still can't decide, and seeing as you're a singer/songwriter, at the risk of sounding overly sentimental, wouldn't it be better for your music if you let your heart decide rather than your head? I would think both guitars are of a level of quality that's way past good enough anyway.

;)

Last edited:

Trending Topics