PRS CE_22 and Wolfetone pickups!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by papersoul, Jan 28, 2012.

1. papersoul

papersoul Member

Hey guys,

I finally got around to swapping some pickups in my Alder bodies CE_22. This is the best PRS I have owned! While I love it and don't hear huge tonal differences between this and the mahogany CE-22s, the Dragon bridge pickup has been a love/hate relationship. With some amps it rips, with others it is too dark and muddy. Sometimes playing classic rock, I find the Dragon bridge too hard?!

So, in go a Duncan CC in the bridge, excellent, smooth, creamy, but better for leads.

Next is my go-to set, Rio BBQ/Texas set. Really thick and punchy but sometimes I think the BBQ bridge is too much? Hard to explain. Almost congested? Great split tones.

My amps and guitars have tones of natural mids. Amps are Bogner Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and on its way, Splawn Streetrod. So, I don't need a mucho midrange pickups set.

I pulled my old nickel covered Wolfetone Timbrewolf and Marshallhead neck. WOW. This is it, why did I let these sit for so long. The Timbrewolf is really tight, yet sweet, punchy and full, splits well! Sort of modern but handles classic rock well. Perfect pair with the MH neck as well. I thikn this may be the set for the CE 22. With this, I don't think I want to get a mahogany CE-22 because my 1994 Alder CE-22 with Wolfetones is bette than Perfect. [​IMG]

2. papersoul

papersoul Member

3. jamison162

jamison162 Supporting Member

You still got any Motor City pickups?

4. SharkAtl

SharkAtl Member

Great story. Sometimes it takes a while to find that sweet spot. I've had the pleasure of owning a few Wolfetone buckers in the past. Great sounding pups.

And the CE22 - tremendous guitar!!

5. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I have a Fenris (Timbrewolf with an A2 mag)/Grey Wolf set in a Carvin Holdsworth that sounds fantastic. :aok

6. imjustadrummer

imjustadrummer Member

Sounds like a great idea. My former CE22 with dragon IIs didn't work for me. I thought the pu's sounded dead but really liked the playability; sold it before I thought of swapping pu's.

7. I'm Incinerator

I'm Incinerator Supporting Member

Cool! I have a Dr. Vintage with full strength A2/ Marshallhead set in mind to order from Wolfe once I get my tax refund back! These will go into my '95 LP Studio...which will replace an APH II neck and JB bridge that have served me well!