PRS Cleaning Advice

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by ChrisP, Apr 30, 2005.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Is PRS still a Small Company Luthier??? Probably not...

I asked this question a couple years ago but lost the thread.

How do I make my '87 PRS look like new?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

2. lookslikemeband

lookslikemeband Member

How bad is it?? With my PRS's, my tech does all the cleaning and re-stringing.....

But if it's REALLY bad, and you're not worried about re-sale.... I'd always consider re-finishing with the new nitrocellulose finishes. A luthier here in Colorado Springs is making my bassist and I custom guitars, and the finishes he does are off the wall!!!

Just my .02 cents...

Lance

3. jreardon

jreardon Member

Can I ask why you want to make it look like new?

The guitar is fairly old, so I would expect it to have some love bumps. Any refinish on an 87 PRS would certainly ruin a potential re-sale value of it.

I just make sure that my guitars are wiped down after gigs and I occasionally use Meguiars polish on them. This keeps them looking ok, not brand new, but ok.

4. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Actually I do want to sell it.

It's got it's share of love knocks but I want it to look as nice as possible for when I sell it.

5. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Takes a expert, but a light colorsand and buff of the clear coat would do wonders. By that I mean, wet sand w/2000 grit sandpaper, buff with a small 3" power buffer. Use 1 compound and 1 glaze. It will make your guitar look like new, takes out fine scratches and shrinkage, keeps the paint original and actually makes the finish a little thinner. Warning!!!!! This is a simple process to someone with experience, but could be disasterous(?) if done by a novice. I'm strictly talking about the finish. A good metal polish should take care of the hardware. The above process is performed at just about every mfg(after painting) to remove dust nibs, orange peel and defects. A experienced guy can make a so so paint job look like a million dollar job.
    Larry

6. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

Sounds like good advice and sounds like I would probably destroy the finish :D

7. Mastacow

Mastacow Member

8. jreardon

jreardon Member

If you are going to sell it, personally I would just polish it with something like Meguiars and maybe clean up the pups a little. Anyone buying a guitar of that vintage will expect it to show its age. Tidy up the case a little and a new set of strings will make it look fabulous

Good luck with your sale

9. raz

raz Member

You're going to have no trouble selling an 87 PRS and getting a very good price for it UNLESS you fool around with the finish.

Technically, even putting Mequiars on it interferes with resale value because it alters the original buffing marks in the finish. But that's getting really persnickity and anal.

If you're getting it ready for sale, don't do anything radical beyond basic cleanup and polishing (and don't overdo that). You WILL wish that you hadn't.

I recently sold an '88 with a couple dings for twice what I paid for it and have since been told repeatedly that I sold it too cheaply. I received some killer trade offers, but ultimately had to take the cash. Ironically, in late 2003 it went two weeks on e-Bay without a bid at a much lower price.

The point is, the market has spiked recently for early production PRSi. There will be demand for your guitar. Don't refinish it. Just wipe it down and practice your negotiating skills.

R
    A
    Z

10. ChrisP

ChrisP Member

I dig...I'm very paranoid about selling the guitar and in 10/20 years seeing it for quadruple the price I got for it...but I need another guitar and bass and the only way it's gonna happen is to sell the PRS.

Here's some LARGE pics

http://members.cox.net/slipknot7/DSCN0365.JPG

http://members.cox.net/slipknot7/DSCN2030.JPG

http://members.cox.net/slipknot7/DSCN2031.JPG

http://members.cox.net/slipknot7/DSCN2032.JPG

one of those is a picture of one of my dogs...: )

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

I think it looks great for an 18 year old guitar. I wouldn't sweat people who give you grief over normal wear. Guitars are meant to be played. Hell, Fender and Gibson make a whole other line of profit out of offering relic's and Murphy guitars that are distressed to show the wear and tear that your guitar earned the old fashioned (and arguably...right) way. :)

I'd use some stelling glyde cote. You're still going to make a lot of money on resale. Top dollar? Probably not, but certainly a lot more than you paid for it.

Best of luck to you...the market is really weird lately.

12. GuitarNorton

GuitarNorton Member