PRS CU stoptail vs. Hamer studio custom

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bartmcartman, Aug 22, 2005.

1. bartmcartman

bartmcartman Supporting Member

Which is your choice and why? Discuss.

2. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

I considered both those & ordered a Carvin CT6M ... here's the color I ordered (tiger eye with cherry burst edges). If its of the caliber of the other Carvin's I've owned, I'll be very happy ...

PS - I have had 2 PRS's (a CE22 & McCarty - the CE22 blew away the McCarty in every category) & a Hamer Newport Pro, so I know a little about both manufacturers. Nothing bad to say about either, just much prefer the lines & options on Carvin's newest model, the CT6 ...

[​IMG]

HT

3. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

4. bartmcartman

So back to the hamer and prs. Anyone?

5. Marty Horne

Marty Horne Guest

The Hamers I've tried were all well made nice playing and sounding guitars and I don't think you could go wrong with an American Hamer. I've owned a stop tail Custom 22 for 6-7 years now and logged about 900 gigs with it. It's a very sweet sounding and versatile guitar. I get 3 single coil and 2 humbucking settings all of which sound great. Try both and see which one you prefer. Either way you'll be getting a great guitar.

6. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

If you GOTTA have a Hamer or PRS :rolleyes: , I prefer the wide fat neck of the PRS & the coil cut McCarty wiring (which is a special order option).

HT

7. bartmcartman

The carvin looks like an awesome guitar. Wish you could try before you buy.

8. Hardtail

Hardtail Member

Bud - thats the best part ... Carvin has a 10 day no questions asked return policy. Over the years, I've returned two guitars, one due to a sub Carvin quality quilt top & the other due to a slight finish flaw. Those are exceptions & I had no problems whatsoever returning them. Carvin's customer service sets the industry standard. Hey, I'm not a Carvin salesman by any means, just a satisfied customer.

PS - many may not know that Carvin has made a couple major changes recently ... the standard fretboard radius is now 12" (used to be 15"; and you can get any radius you want from 10-16" at an upcharge). Also, their necks are alot chunkier than that of the recent past ... due to customer demand (there are apparently more classic rockers than shredders)...

PSS - here's my #1 Carvin stratoid ...

[​IMG]

9. MattB

MattB Member

10. MCG

MCG Member

I recently compared a PRS CU22 hard tail to a Hamer Arch Top, side by side. As you may have guessed it was a case of "apples and pears. Both guitars were pretty damn good IMO.

The Hamer had more of "LP" vibe to its tone than the CU22. The Hamer also being loaded with Duncan 59's had more smoothness and low-mid growl than the PRS with its Dragon II pickups. Let's just say it had the better pickups to my ears. 59's are notably warmer than Dragon II's.

The PRS however had more openness, while still having as much of a full bodied tone. I also liked the PRS WF neck better than the hamer's neck profile. The WF was a little deeper and felt better to me. While the DII's are hotter the Custom had a touch more definition to distorted chords.

Both guitars played great, but I preferred the PRS with its 25" scale to the looser feel of the Hamer's 24-3/4" scale length. So for my tastes the PRS CU22 would have been my choice over the Hamer. But I would have changed out the pickups to something in the PAF vein.

If you can try out both, and a McCarty (between the two) and hear what you think.

MCG

11. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

I think both are made equally well but I think Hamer makes a guitar that has superlative articulation and a much more open tone. However, I prefer the slightly scooped mid tone of the Artist over the Studio because I think it's more versatile.

Both of your choices are can-do guitars but I greatly prefer a trem on the CU22. PRS makes one of the best trems out there - but PRS loses me with their sterile sounding pickups. And no matter what pickups make their way into PRS I still find the highs a bit harsh - maybe the longer scale? - I like the shorter scale of the Hamer.

And value wise - Hamer is a screaming deal, used or new.

Both are awesome guitars

12. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Also, much easier access to all 22 frets on the Hamer. IMHO

13. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I have a really nice Brazilian McCarty and a Hamer Studio Custom. You will love either one, but I think the Hamer is a much better value. Both guitars are very high quality.

I think my Hamer top is much nicer than my 10 top McCarty.

Never tried a Carvin, but they look nice too.:p

14. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

The CT6m looks great! Carvin always has been a quality builder. I've played PRS and like them. They look great, I just wasn't comfortable with the feel of it. Can't explain why. It's just what I felt. The Hamers feel better to me. Hamer was one of the last top shelf makers to raise their prices a few years ago. You could buy an awesome Hamer for $1200.00 when PRS were double that.
    Carvin makes great stuff , I've been around some my friends had. Being a gear nut I think about resale value and unfortunately Carvin is a bit like Peavey when it comes to resale. Fine, quality gear but doesn't garner the respect for a reasonable resale value in most instances. :confused:

15. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Staff Member

I was a Hamer turned PRS banner waving fool.

I played Hamer for years until I got my first PRS in 1995. From 1995 till 2001 I was as hardcore a PRS guy as you could find. I owned at least 8 PRS at any one time and owned up to 12 at one time. I went through over 30 of them over that time period.

In 2001 I picked up a used Hamer Custom Studio "for a nice backup guitar" and it became my #1 guitar.

One by one over the following years I sold off my PRS guitars because, for me, the Hamer was just a better guitar. Tone, feel, vibe. It just fit me better.

The end result is that after owning more than 30+ PRS guitars (and deeply loving them) and 12+ Hamer guitars??

I went on a massive "thinning the herd" due to finances in 2004/05. I wanted to get under 5 main electrics and no more.

My used 1995 Hamer Custom Studio that I found on the wall at GC (no kidding) for $900 is still here and I deeply love that guitar..... and no PRS. Last PRS went out the door in January. No regrets.

16. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

Some of the new Hamer stuff blows me away. A dealer near me has a Newport Pro that kills me every time I play it. Great price vs. quality ratio. Buy used, awesome bang for the buck.

17. Turbo Gerbil

Turbo Gerbil Member

another thing to consider is ergonomics. At least for me, the PRS body shape balances better without neck dive.

18. arniez

arniez Supporting Member

I personally find the vintage neck proflie on the Hamers to be more comfortable. I would also agree that the PRS's to me are somewhat sterile sounding. The Hamers can be a tad neck heavy but that's what Moody straps are for:D
    ArnieZ