• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

PRS CU22 Aftermarket Pickups

mariachi

I know that some of you replaced the stock pickups on their CU22. May I know which one you installed and how it compares to the stock ones?

Thinking of changing mine but I'm specifically looking for a set that can nail Warren Haynes' tone. Or maybe something that is not that bassy on the neck and somewhat hot on the bridge, yet still retains a vintage tone.

TIA.

goodkungfu

Silver Supporting Member
I have a CU22 and just put a pair of Bareknuckle VH2's in which are a huge improvement over the Dragon 2's imho.

BUT i'm going to change these to Bareknuckle Mules which are named after none other than Warren Hayes himself. Expensive but fantastic. Check the reviews on Harmony Central. if you call up Tim (very nice guy, fantastic service) he'll reverse the polarity on the bass pickup for you so it will work properly with the 5 way if you have it. The magnet needs to be reversed to make the inbetween posistions humbucking.

GKF

http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/ZH-themule.html

mariachi

Thanks for your reply.

I'm actually considering Bareknuckle but I'm not sure which one to get. When I checked his page, I wasn't sure if he's referring to Mr Haynes about the Mules so it's a good thing you confirmed it :)

Aslan

I'm like you in that for years I could never bond with the PRS pickups even though I loved the workmanship of their guitars. Recently I bought a PRS Prism with the 57/08 pickups and I love them, they sounded better than most everything I've played on over the last 20 years (many Gibson's, etc.) In fact I tried a new PRS Santana MD and again was impressed with the new electronics and bought it. These two guitars are my main players at this point.

shallbe

Deputy Plankspanker
Platinum Supporting Member
Lollar Imperials saved my CU22AP from going bye-bye. I do not like DII pickups.

amc

Lollar Imperials will make your CU22 sing..............
(WCRs are awfully good as well)

goodkungfu

Silver Supporting Member
Another thing to consider is covers or no covers. i know they are supposed to make a slight difference to output but i can tell a difference to the sound of the instrument acoustically as well. The CU22 is so well made the pickups with covers fit like a glove so if you fit pickups without covers it sounds a little looser and more open and though you may not notice it when your amp is cranked it changes the feel of the instrument, especially if your just noodleing around unplugged.More like a CU24 actually (obviously). A bit more strat, a little less Les Paul..

either that or i need to get out more.. ;-)

xdisciplex

i have a cu22 and i use prs hfs/vb and they sound better with my cu22 than they did in the cu24 i had, i also have a mccarty trem and i use a suhr ssv in the neck and aldrich in the bridge and its one of the best sounding guitars ive ever owned.

Steve Dallas

WCR Darkbursts for me. They really made my CU22 shine. The only gripe I have is I wish the bridge was a little hotter, but that's my fault for not asking Mr Wagner the question. The neck is full, round, and clear without any mud whatsoever. It sounds just like a hotter PAF should. The bridge is one of the best sounding pups I've ever heard. I just wish it had a few more turns on it :)

mariachi

Thank you everyone for your replies.

Pardon me if this is a newb question: Can my tech just install my DII's nickel covers on any uncovered 'buckers? This means I can get the pickups cheaper than with the covers on.

Trending Topics