PRS cu22

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by keith_t4e, Dec 13, 2005.

1. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I played an artist series custom 22 today in natural with wrap around bridge. OK, I don't like the sea gull, the 5way switch, the wrap around bridge. I could do without the upcharge of the ten top or the quilt. However, this guitar with its wide thin neck played the best of any guitar I've ever played and I've played a bunch. Do you guys think they put more into these or do you think I could get a custom 22 with moons instead of birds, a toggle, a regular top that would play this well. It should be noted here that I didn't find the tone particulary great. It was a bit too middy. This could be the dragon pups. The guitar honsestly almost played itself. They have 2900 firm on it.

2. TheArchitect

TheArchitect Guest

If the sound is not to your liking what does the rest matter?

3. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Well two things. One, I could change the pups. Next, I was playing it through a Marshall DSL100. I'm sure I could have tweeked it more to my liking. I'm not exagerating, this guitar was phenomenal.

4. DEMENTED

DEMENTED Supporting Member

I think PRS guitars are pretty consistent quality wise. Go with your idea of a CU22 with moons....

5. bigroy

bigroy Member

They are probably consistent in regard to quality, but perhaps one just has a quality setup, and the other a standard factory setup. I'm guessing the PRS folks do a good setup on a guitar before it leaves, but I'm of the opinion that any guitar can be improved upon with a setup that suits your individual style or needs.

I would also go a step further and say that most guitars leave the factory with only minimal adjustments and could be easily improved on by most respectable luthiers.....

My $0.02.....

6. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

You can pick up a new McCarty without all the frills for around $1800. McCartys have the pickup toggle switch instead of the rotary. It would play just as well as the Custom with all the cosmetic fluff. You may prefer the pickups as they're supposed to have more of a PAF type tone to them.

I have a CE-22, which has a bolt on neck I paid $1200 for. It plays itself - sounds great too.

7. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

Buy used. Non-beauty queen PRSi are plentiful in the used market. They are extremely consistent, too.
    A McCarty will have the 3 way toggle and a slightly thicker body.

8. cnardone

cnardone Supporting Member

I believe the McCarty will also have a different tilt to the head stock. It will feel different. I always thought the CU22 were easier to play. Maybe not as much tension on thr strings because of the tilt. I don't know for sure, I do know they feel different to me. If you love that Cu22, I would suggest getting it and replacing the switch. However, buying used with the switch instead of the 5 way is also an option.

9. Fxrs

Fxrs Member

I don't think changing P/U's will change the sound as much as you think. Check out their website, you can get all different kinds of options.

10. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

you can get the toggle. You can get a regular top. You can get the moons instead of birds. Chuck Levins 1900 shiped.

11. axpro

axpro Member

With my selection of PRSi's and the fact that i set them up, let me give you my expert opinion.

You mention you thought the guitar sounded "middy" are you used to a maple necked instrument? My issue is usually with mahogony necks, i prefer maple, maple has less midrange, and is a little brighter. I also like Solid rosewood, thick lows, glassy highs, less midrange.

THat being considered, try a ce model first, the 24 comes with the thin neck, and the electronics switch over is no charge. It also has the prs trem, whcih (although i don't like trems) is the smoothest one i have used.

If you have to have a thin neck, 22 fret with the trem bridge, keep an eye outon the used market, i think it was 2001 that PRS discontinues wide thin necks on the ce-22's I see them on the bay fairly regularly.

Consistency wise, if they are maintained by the store they are in (regular string changes, setups after climate changes) they are really consistent. As winter is in ful force, is pent this afternoon setting up PRS guitar at the shop, and they even seem to shift consistently! (2 standards and a custom, and all three still played the same, all needed a little tweak, but the same amount on each!)

Finally, one the subject of pickups, the dragon II's can be a bit midrangey, but that is what comes on most 22 fret models, try a 24 if you aren't averse to them...

12. Taller

Taller Silver Supporting Member

Anywhere is everywhere and nowhere is nothing.
    In my experience, PRS quality is very consistent across the board no matter how 'fancy' one might be optioned.

I picked up a used Standard 22 - all mahogany, moons - sight unseen, other than photos and it's a killer guitar.
    Delivered to my door, it was less than $1300.

Look around, though I will admit if you're set against all the pretty options, you might have a hard time finding one. Dealers seem to order the 10-Tops, Artist Packages, etc, at the expense of the no-option models.

13. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

thanks a lot guys. you have been lots of help. I do want the Custom 22. I think blue mateo with the natural wood you can see after the maple cap like some goldtop lps looks cool. I like it beter than the blackbacks. The natural artist package CU22 at the local shop is absolutely amazing------a very good player. I've heard the wrap around vs stoptail or tremolo really shouldn't make the guitar play beter, but this one is amazing. Have you ever found a guitar be it a Gibson, Fender, Suhr or PRS and just thought hey this might not be exactly the specs I wanted but what the hell it plays great? Twenty-nine hundred bucks is a lot of do-ray-me to pay for an axe. Man that is a used car when yours blows up and you have to have something in a hurry. I took out and played my custom shop non reverse Gibson Firebird with two humbukers today thinking I may want to trade it in or sell it for the PRS. It is a custom shop Gibson. I won't be selling it and buying a PRS. I would entertian a trade for a regular production model 335 though.