PRS CU24 Pickup suggestions ??

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by gibson08, Feb 25, 2009.

1. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Hello everyone !!!! I am just starting to get into the PRS world and purchased a Vintage Yellow Custom 24 and really liking the guitar, but I need to make a change,,the 5 way rotary switch has to go!! So I have been hearing that quite a few people have changed to a 3 way with push-pull pots, Hows that working out with everyone?? And I am curious about changing the pickups, I would like to thicken up the tone just a bit but I def want to retain the clarity and articulation. Thanks in advance for all the help, and I look forward to your responses as you fine people have always guided me in the right direction(well usually).

2. dantedayjob

dantedayjob Member

If you have only "just got" the guitar, wait a while before you pull that 5way out. I didn't like it either when I first got it, but I decided to give it a fair shake and hole off for a couple months. When I got used to it, I preferred it and actually installed 5 way rotors in other guitars. Those in between sounds are really cool and very useful... once you get used to the five way it's a quicker switch than the 3way+push/pull... I liken it to learning to drive a stick shift... at first it seems clumsy and you have to hunt the gears, etc. Once you're used to it it's second nature

3. 02Singlecut

02Singlecut Supporting Member

Agree w/^......I just put Artist pu's in my Metal Project and I think Brian Meader @ Chuck Levin's WMC was dead on. "Not as Hot, Clear with more lower mids and bottom end. I gig'd it last weekend and dug it!

[​IMG]

4. beNsteR

beNsteR Member

to me the 5-way rotary is a big part of the PRS guitar. i love that it gives me 1 strat-ish and 1 tele-ish sound. very useable in a recording or gigging situation.

a 3-way with coil tap to me, only gives a weaker version of each pickup position, rather than a totally different sound like what the 5-way can give.

you might like to try new pickups before losing the 5-way. i've had great success with Duncan 59s in the neck, and JB or Custom 5 in the bridge of the Custom 24's i've owned. much more punch & clarity than the stock PRS VB/HFS pickups

they need to be wired right, as their wires are opposite of the PRS pickups.

they especially did wonders for the in-between sounds.

oh, and i have WCR Darkbursts running through a 5-way rotary in my custom Schroeder. they sound out of this world!

5. gibson08

gibson08 Member

OK, Did I mention that the 5 way HAS TO GO!!!, COOL graphics btw 02single!!! I have had the guitar for about 4 mos., and yes I am a LP guy, I find myself switching back and forth from neck to bridge quite a bit, that would be my main reason.

6. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Wow , I thought there were more PRS people here than that, I am curious if just changing the electonics alone will change the tone of the guitar?? anyone??

7. KennethC

KennethC Member

Just to add, I had a great experience with Harmonic Design Vintage Classic HBs in my CU24 - much more clarity and balance of tones than the stock HFS/VB pups.

8. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Also totally agree with everything said here, especially the sounds that come with it. Yeah, I know you want the easier flip from neck only to bridge only, but at least give the rotary a good try first. You really might get used to it, and you'd be missing some of the best tones without it. BTW....you do know about BaM, yes? The PRS authorities live there.

9. 02Singlecut

Nuthin better on a 24 fretter than a 5way and a sweetswitch!:BOUNCE

10. Michael T

Michael T Member

McCarty pickups sound good in Cu24 guitars

11. 02Singlecut

See post above......5way + SweetSwitch, Artist PU's and wired 85 style. GREAT sounding maple capped Standard 24 !:cool:

12. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Funny, I deleted my post as I FINALLY realized that on 'vintage' 24s with sweet switch, the bottom pot has always been a 5-way. I thought it was tone or volume all these years, but now I realize how I never really thought it through. Ahz inburisd! :jo

13. gibson08

gibson08 Member

Played a CU22(Braz) today and I prefer the 3 way and the push pull by a long shot. Any others on ideas or pick-up selection?? Still think I will go to a 3 way first and see what the tone diff is, I thought about signing up in the bammers area, but I spend most of my time on TGP!!! And AaeCee, I played a CU24(1987) with the sweet-switch and the 5 way and I still like the 3 way better!!

14. sleepingtiger

sleepingtiger Supporting Member

I've got a Heaven in the neck & a Firewater in the bridge in my Custom 24,that I got from Will at WB Pickups with the rotary. They sound great clean to WAY overdriven through my Road King II. They split very well also! I just couldn't bond with the stock pickups.

Tony