PRS Custom 22, McCarty, DGT Used Pricing

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
I made the mistake of trying a Custom 22 10 Top again yesterday. I'd love to get one. I can't really justify the cost of a new one but was thinking maybe a used one would be a possibility. I could afford new, I just don't want to spend that much.

I'd like to get something on the newer side...maybe 2010 or newer.

What should I expect to spend for one in very good condition? It doesn't have to be 10 Top, or be in perfect/flawless condition.

Prices seem all over the map. The one I played yesterday was $3100 + Sales Tax which adds a couple of hundred to the price. New ones on the well known sites (e.g. Humbucker, Wildwood, etc.) are higher. Makes me wonder if I should just buy the one I played.

I was hoping I could get something for closer to $2K...am I dreaming?

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
u guys buy used from GC? The stuff in the store by me is so battered...I'm wary of buying from them

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
I'll second the idea of buying GC used.
It's one of the safer methods of buying used gear.
Don't like it for whatever reason, return it.

I scored a custom 22 with an artist top on the classifieds for 2k last year. It's a 2014 iirc. Just requires a little patience.

fuzz_factor

Silver Supporting Member
I'll second the idea of buying GC used.
It's one of the safer methods of buying used gear.
Don't like it for whatever reason, return it.

Just curious: Has anyone ever gotten a response from the 'Email a store' link? I've tried it for several guitars (at different GCs) recently to get better descriptions when they post terrible, tiny photos and have never gotten a response. There's always calling, but getting someone who knows even a little is a crapshoot.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member
Just curious: Has anyone ever gotten a response from the 'Email a store' link? I've tried it for several guitars (at different GCs) recently to get better descriptions when they post terrible, tiny photos and have never gotten a response. There's always calling, but getting someone who knows even a little is a crapshoot.

Ever? Yes.

It's been hit or miss for me.

Carbohydrates

I got a 2010 Cus24 Wood Library for under $2k used this year, it's definitely doable. PRS doesn't have the best resale value.

lemonpaul59

I made the mistake of trying a Custom 22 10 Top again yesterday. I'd love to get one. I can't really justify the cost of a new one but was thinking maybe a used one would be a possibility. I could afford new, I just don't want to spend that much.

I'd like to get something on the newer side...maybe 2010 or newer.

What should I expect to spend for one in very good condition? It doesn't have to be 10 Top, or be in perfect/flawless condition.

Prices seem all over the map. The one I played yesterday was $3100 + Sales Tax which adds a couple of hundred to the price. New ones on the well known sites (e.g. Humbucker, Wildwood, etc.) are higher. Makes me wonder if I should just buy the one I played.

I was hoping I could get something for closer to $2K...am I dreaming?

Why 2010 or newer? Their pickups have been all over the map, after having declared all the older pickups "obsolete". PRS's way of staying relevant. Yeah, the pickups they used for over a decade just weren't good enough..............to sell $4000 guitars. Now they have knife switches like Stratocasters. The 5 way rotary wasn't good enough any more. Boo! Why didn't the 1986 CU24 have a knife switch? Paul didn't think of it?

Do you like large neck heels? If so, the CU22 or McCarty or DGT should be fine. The CU24 (the original production PRS) has a smaller neck heel. Early Santana I models had small neck heels too.

I see no reason for the neck heel myself. Gibsons are not like that. Hamers didn't have big neck heels either. We've heard stories that the large neck heel "eliminates" "dead spots". I remain unconvinced of that. My CU24 has no dead spots.

Don't forget about the 513 and the 408 models. Wait, I can't say that, I already forgot about them!

There's lots of mint condition PRSs out there for under $2000. 1995 I believe was the year PRS went into major production. Early 1990s tend to fetch better prices, ditto 1980s models.

Good luck out there!

I have so many Gibsons I don't need a CU22. The CU24 is a different beast. It wasn't meant to imitate Gibsons.

daacrusher2001

Silver Supporting Member
PRS has the worst resale value.

That is good for you, but bad for when you want to flip it.
That is good for me...I won't flip it anyway, at least not quickly, unless I hate it (unlikely). I haven't flipped a guitar in awhile. Last guitar I sold was a Grosh EJ but I owned it for 6 years.

I was also thinking a DGT or a McCarty would be ok. Honestly, there are so many models, the only core models I've actually had in my hands recently the CU22's and 24's, and one McCarty. I had a Mira for a few years, traded for it, traded it for something else later. The Mira wasn't bad, it was a Korina Mira.

Maybe I'll post a link or two for the used ones I'm considering and you guys can weigh in.

Johnny21

That is good for me...I won't flip it anyway, at least not quickly, unless I hate it (unlikely). I haven't flipped a guitar in awhile. Last guitar I sold was a Grosh EJ but I owned it for 6 years.

I was also thinking a DGT or a McCarty would be ok. Honestly, there are so many models, the only core models I've actually had in my hands recently the CU22's and 24's, and one McCarty. I had a Mira for a few years, traded for it, traded it for something else later. The Mira wasn't bad, it was a Korina Mira.

Maybe I'll post a link or two for the used ones I'm considering and you guys can weigh in.
Great deals to be had then! Just a matter of being patient and finding the right one.

I have a MC58 (mccarty) and it's a great playing guitar.

The Mccarty has a 1.68" nut and the DGT has a narrower 1.65" nut. Be sure to find out which you are more comfy with

Trending Topics

Top Bottom