prs custom 22 vs 24 differences

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bluspwr, May 2, 2008.

1. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

What are the primary distinctions between the custom 22 vs custom 24 paul reed smith guitars in terms of playability?

Does one overwhelmingly outsell the other?

How do they compare to the new Mira?

Are they that much better than a good strat?

2. Axemeister

Axemeister Member

Not sure that you are going to get any definitive answer to these questions, since they are different flavors...one is not "better" than the other. And, both are much different than a Strat. Neither will sound like a Strat, and A Strat will not sound like a PRS Custom 22 or 24.

These models are somewhat different, and they have their own tone, sounds, and features. I have owned both, and enjoyed them. You need to define what sounds and tones you are seeking, and also consider the feel and playability that each model might have for your own needs.

The PRS Custom 24 and 22 are different from each other, but equally worthy to those who play each model They have different pickups, and slightly different feel, due to revised ergonomics and pickup placement. Both are very playable. The Custom 24 with its pickups will sound more modern in tone than the PRS 22, but one could argue that the PRS Custom 22 is more versatile.

There is a ton of info available on this topic....The best idea would be for you to go over to the Birds and Moons Forum, which has a strong PRS focus. You will find lots of info there if you do a search, and there are many PRS experts at Birds and Moons who can help you with your questions.

3. Marty s Horne

Marty s Horne Member

Custom 24: 24 frets, regular or wide/thin neck, Vintage Bass/HFS pickups

Custom 22: 22 frets, wide fat or wide/thin neck, Dragon 2 pickups.

I've gigged extensively with both and the 24 has a brighter more aggressive tone while the 22 has a warmer, fatter tone IMO. Both are great guitars.

4. odourboy

odourboy Member

Quite agree with Marty's tonal assessment. Let me add that the 24 comes standard with a tremolo bridge, while the 22 does not.

5. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

Thanks - This helps a bunch!

6. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Playability between the two is about the same. If you like thinner necks, the Cu24 is probably the way to go, though. Tonaly they are almost worlds apart. I love the Cu24, it's bright and aggressive when needed, but can also be warm and fat at the flick of a switch and turn of a knob. The VB has a of a tendency to get a bit muddy under really high gain, but that's when you switch to the HFS, which sounds amazing in high gain conditions. On the other hand, I'm not such a big fan of the Cu22. To me it's muddy, hot, overly bright. It is much hotter than the Cu24, not necesarily higher gain, just tons hotter. I prefer the cleans tones of the Cu22, but the gain tones just get too muddy and bright for my taste. To answer you last question, I'd rather have one Custom 24 than a bus full of new Strats.

7. Supasso

Supasso Member

Well, the 24 does come with tremolo only, but the 22 can come with tremolo or stoptail.

8. odourboy

odourboy Member

Agreed, but the 'standard' is a stoptail isn't it? Unless something has changed, there seem to be very few CU22s with tremolos out there (last time I looked).

Edited to say... I'll take that back. There's a lot more 22s with trems then when I was shopping for one several years ago. They seem quite common now.

Carry on!!

9. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

That's because everyone finally wisened up and realised that the true secret to great PRS tone is the trem.:D

10. odourboy

odourboy Member

If I'd been able to get the right 22 with a trem, I might never have flipped it for a 24! :crazy

11. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I'll answer in random order:

-Anything with humbuckers is better than a strat! [​IMG]

-From what dealers have told me, the Cu24 is still PRS's best seller, but keep in mind that it was their first production model as well.

-The Cu24 is my personal fave of the three mentioned as IMO it has the most distinct character yet is still extremely versatile. The commentary on the 22 here is spot on though, so it's really personal preference in the end. Best to find a shop that has all three and decide for yourself.

-ALL PRS represent the pinnacle of playability. They set the bar by which most others are judged.

-Just an aside....I'm also a big fan of the 'standard' neck profile, which is only available on the 24.

12. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Has the Standard neck carve always been available on the Cu24? I've never noticed that before, it that's the case.

And like always, someone said what I was trying to say, in a much shorter, easier to understand manner.

13. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

I believe the std. carve was the original 24 neck carve Reb, so I'd say yes, it was always available on the 24.

14. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Ah, cool, thanks. I didn't know that, just one more thing I'll file under PRS Facts in my mind. Thanks again, I'm really grateful I've been able to find a community of musicians as helpful and knowledgable as TGP.

15. bluspwr

bluspwr Member

So is there a big difference in tone and/or sustain between the stoptail and the trem?

16. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

The trem will give you a bit more sustain, but probably nothing that would significantly change wich one you'd get. The trem aslo lends to a more airy, open tone than a stoptail version. Of course, you also get the extra versatility of a trem.

17. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Hey Bluspwr -

You need to get these three guitars - CU-22, CU-24, and a Strat in your hands and plugged into an amp. There are HUGE differences between a Strat and the 2 PRS guitars, and substantial differences between the 2 PRS's.

What a 24 fret neck does, compared to a 22 fret neck with the same scale length, is push the neck pickup closer to the bridge pickup.

CU-22 - neck pickup closer to the nut
    CU-24 - neck pickup closer to the bridge.

Notice that when you pick the strings, picking closer to the bridge makes a brighter, tighter, twangier-if-you-will sound, and picking closer to the neck gives a warmer, fuller sound that doesn't bite as hard. The pickups placement is important because it reflects the sound of the string where the pickup is located. The CU-24 pickups are closer together than the CU22, and the neck pickup in the CU-24 is closer to the bridge, so it will sound different because the string sounds different at that point. That, coupled with the fact that they are different pickups (Dragons v VB/HFS) makes these two guitar sound very different. Differences in tone due to the trem tailpiece have already been covered well in earlier posts - you'll hear the difference.

You gotta hear 'em and play 'em - no posting on TGP will tell the difference as clearly as playing 'em for 5 minutes. Once you play 'em, the differences will be very obvious.

For the record again, with respect to tone, a Strat compared to a CU-24 OR CU-22 could not sound more different.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

18. PFCG

PFCG Member

+1 from dana's post.

The neck pickup makes a big difference, as well as the neck carves and the bridges, but they are pretty similar.

Nothing at all like a strat. But there are plenty of PRS guitars to go try out these days so i say go out and play a bunch of them.

19. wilerty

wilerty Member

Just to confuse you more, the PRS CE22 and CE24 (bolt on necks) use the same pickups as the CU22 and CU24 respectively, and are very nice. If you live near some place with a good PRS inventory, the Swamp Ash Special is one of the most versitile guitars they make. I am very partial to the Johnny Hiland.

Fortunately and unfortunately for you, PRS guitars have a huge variety of sounds and feels, and each person posting here has their favorites. As everyone has said, demo, demo, demo ...

20. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Swampy's are very nice, and extremely versatile. Can easily go into Tele or Strat territory. The McCarry is probably my personal favorite guitar in PRS' line, just about the perfect guitar for vintage tones. The new Korina McCarty is just about the best guitar I've ever played, very bright and immediate, not muddy at all. You've really go to a GC, or a local PRS dealer and play every single model thorugh the same amp, just spend an afternoon demoing PRS', you won't regret it.