1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

PRS Custom 24 Help!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by anthony541, Feb 19, 2009.

1. anthony541

anthony541 Member

Hey guys I just bought a 1997 PRS Custom 24 10 top Santana Yellow, bird inlays, HFS pickup, bass pickup with 5 way selector, I paid 2k. Was it a good deal? The guitar is very clean, mint condition. Please let me know if there’s something I need to look for, defects etc. Also can you tell what amp will sound best with this guitar? I’m think a mesa boogie or a fender twin reverbs, or 59 Bassman. I really want that Carlos Santana sound. Please share your experiences thanks a lot!

2. DS88

DS88 Member

Doesn't Santana play Dumbles? I'd say get a nice clone! I like the D'Lites a lot FWIW!

Also, I'd say 2K is a good price!

3. drewl

drewl Member

I paid 2K for my used custom 24 seven years ago, so I guess you got a good deal.
    Dang....I've had it seven years already? where does the time go????

4. Marshall Man

Marshall Man Member

I got a brand new ten-top custom 24 from GC for $1799 back in December, they were blowing them out for about a week. I love that guitar!

5. The Last Rebel

The Last Rebel Member

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal.

Mesa's do sound really good with PRS', you can believe the hype there. I also really like the sound of an AC-style amp with a PRS.

6. baimun

baimun Member

Carlos has been a Mesa Boogie guy since early on... in fact, it was Carlos' reaction to playing an early prototype Mesa Engineering amp that gave the amp its name.. "Man... this little amp really boogies!!!"

While the Mark I can dial in vintage Carlos, it does so without master volume and the volume can get out of hand.

I had a Series I Rectoverb which could dive right into Carlos sounds at various volumes. Just watch how much bass you use, keep the gain in the10:00 - 2:00 range and voila!!! The Series II have three modes on the gain channel, and the "vintage" is a bit too ratty and the "modern" a bit to sizzly for Carlos (geared more towards metal).

The series one was a little sweeter sounding (not as sizzly on the top end) and only had a 2 position switch for the modes... raw and modern. Keep it on modern and go nuts.