• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

PRS Custom 24 vs PRS SE Custom 24

Guitarwiz007

Gold Supporting Member
Switching is different. Necks feel different. Trems feel different. No locking tuners on any of the SE'S I've played. Overall I liked the SE quite a lot but still prefer the Custom.

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

david(j)

Silver Supporting Member
the SE models have come a long way. Tremendous guitars for the $.

the core line are amazing guitars, but you'll pay for them. Used there are some real deals out there, though. Comparing the SE to the core line, the SEs do well, but that's almost unfair because of the price point.

I have a mccarty and an se akesson model, and I really enjoy playing both.

dazco

I think you'll find the biggest difference is the trem. I have a SE santana with a stock trem and I just finished A/B'ing the stock trem with a concoction of John Mann's parts., He sent me a brass block like the USA models with a SE plate, USA mounting screws, saddles and arm. It's basically a PRS USA trem but steel plate instead of the brass one. I swapped them out a few times and even swapped the screws and saddle from bridge to bridge to see what made the biggest difference. Surprisingly the screws probably made the biggest difference ! At least as much as the block. But in any case the tonal difference is surely what you will hear between the SE and USA models. I thought my santana sounded great before, but the difference is big. Pickups would be the other thing that would seperate them. But assuming you replace those too you'd have a killer SE. More than a few people who have both have cited thier SE and thier preferred PRS, so i have no doubt with bridge and pickups they will be quite equal aside from the more fancy wood. The change will cost a good bit, but nothing compared to the cost difference between the SE and USA models. Shopping around you can get SE's dirt cheap. I got my santana for $469 at GC with a online price match. The brass block, saddles and screws for John Mann will cost about $150.

Mandrax

Personally I find there is a huge difference between the USA core models and the SE. Better tops, better hardware, better feel, better sound, better quality all round. That's not to say the SE is a bad guitar, far from it, it's just the USA core models are so much better. Not surprising, they can cost more than double the price. I own both a USA PRS and a Korean SE, I enjoy both for what they are. I've said it dozens of times on here and other forums, the SE is probably the best guitar out there in it's price range.

The S2 Custom 24 is only a slight upgrade on the SE in my opinion and possibly not worth the extra money, though that is something you'll have to judge for yourself.

kselbee

SEs are great for the money but after you play a USA model you'll know where the extra money went.

Chicago Slim

I wouldn't be afraid of buying an SE Custom 24. I started with American models (still own 4), and have bought and played SE's professionally. I think of my SE 24 as having 24 frets and a pretty quilt top, like a Custom 24. Has a really good six screw tremolo like a vintage Strat. And, GFS Retrotron pickups, so that it sounds like a Gretsch. They are a beast of their own.

FennRx

One is reasonably priced, does exactly what you need and does so reliably, whereas the other is overpriced, is built terribly and only performs well in a very small area of use?

Come, now, surely US made PRS guitars aren't that bad. ;)
Lol I was thinking the same thing. People always make the worst car analogies.

Lucidology

Silver Supporting Member
Not the same guitar at all ... both fine guitars.
But the quality of the American one is just beyond great ...
However, that doesn't make the SE version any less cool..

gtraddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by custom53
Compare a KIA and a Corvette

Awful analogy.

base model ford fusion and a lincoln mks

trainwrecker

Well I was able to try the SE; very impressed. If the non SE is that much better it's going to be interesting. If I can find one. And the stupid blindfold keeps falling off.

kselbee

Well I was able to try the SE; very impressed. If the non SE is that much better it's going to be interesting. If I can find one. And the stupid blindfold keeps falling off.
Yes, the American version is that much better. Could be the best guitar you've ever played... literally.

Trending Topics